Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, Panthor said:

and it will be that kind of play that keeps him in the starting lineup with the majority of snaps over Jones.  because this team can live with modest production from the RB position it cannot live with Kizer back there taking snaps.

Sure you can speculate that will be the case but there is no way of knowing that.

Jones was the bell cow for the Packers last year for a few games where Rodgers was still healthy. Granted both Williams and Montgomery were nicked up so that may have played a role. Williams did not begin to get a big workload until both Jones and Montgomery were injured. With the exception of getting a ton of volume Williams was very mediocre. 

Essentially with the exception of first three weeks of last year all of the running backs were only workhorses when at least one of the other three were injured. 

In week 15 when both Williams and Jones played with Rodgers, Williams out touched Jones but Jones was far more productive. Williams had a 10/30 rushing line (no targets) while Jones had a 3/47 rushing line and a 1/6 receiving line (2 targets). In that week it's interesting that Williams was in on 61% of the snaps to Jones's 37% and in the three games surrounding week 15 (weeks 13, 14, and 16) Jones never played more than 11% of the snaps. Why would all of a sudden Jones begin to play more when Rodgers was inserted back into the lineup? I don't know the answer but I found it interesting.

One game is not indicative of an entire season, however, Williams showed more of the same as a runner which always leaves much to be desired. Williams is what he is as a runner. He'll get what is blocked in front of him and he'll run with power but he cannot create on his own.

We have yet to see Jones this year and by all accounts he has been focusing on his pass protection in the off season. Pass protection is often one of the most difficult aspects of the NFL for rookie running backs to grasp and Williams was clearly ahead of the curve. However, that does not mean Jones was unable to catch up to Williams in the off season with his skill in pass protection.

Bottom line is we do not know what will happen when Jones returns. All I know is that Williams has always looked like a below average NFL runner and Jones has always looked above average as a runner. More than likely when Jones returns this backfield will become a time share where both backs are useless for fantasy until one of them separates themselves. Williams has had the first opportunity to separate himself and has fluttered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys are spinning your wheels. The Bears neutralized Jamaal. The end. What else is there to do with him right now?...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Bottom line is we do not know what will happen when Jones returns. All I know is that Williams has always looked like a below average NFL runner and Jones has always looked above average as a runner. More than likely when Jones returns this backfield will become a time share where both backs are useless for fantasy until one of them separates themselves. Williams has had the first opportunity to separate himself and has fluttered. 

I don't see much of a timeshare.  If Jones can block well, then he'll be on the field.  If he can't, then it'll be Williams.  

Somebody dropped him this morning and I have the #1 waiver claim that I was thinking about burning on him... but it sounds like no one in here is very high on him or his situation? Is Aaron Jones the back to own here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, atrium said:

Somebody dropped him this morning and I have the #1 waiver claim that I was thinking about burning on him... but it sounds like no one in here is very high on him or his situation? Is Aaron Jones the back to own here?

It could go either way with him. The Packers need all the pass blocking they can get and he's a top five pass blocker. He needs to play better this week though.

I'd opt not to use priority on him and rather hope he clears waivers and then grab him. Top priority should be saved in order to swoop in and get a mega steal if some freak occurence happens like an injury or a surprise breakout.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, street sharks said:

Not gonna lie, he looked really disappointing on Sunday running into the backs of his linemen on like every other rush attempt

The line didnt hold blocks at all or get any push...cant really blame him...they were even bringing the safeties up into the box at one point

... the Bears defense is loaded, and it was week 1. I am not starting him this week - because Minnesota is even worse matchup, but calm down. 

literally gets rave reviews all summer and saw 15 carries despite having to go pass heavy and catch up. unbelievable. 

I don’t play in a points per pass block league

Jones is way more talented as a runner. Williams looks so slow in that video

edit2: lol ok change the video then

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1

They need to freaking feature this guy out in space. He was really good at pass-catching last year, but I can see why they didn't considering Rodgers had to receive additional blocking in the second half.

Bears D is no slouch. People dropping him are insane. Give it another 2-3 weeks before you drop (if you have to.)

Personally- J. Williams received almost all the snap share. Jones has been nicked up, suspended, everything. No point in dropping Williams. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I don’t play in a points per pass block league

Jones is way more talented as a runner. Williams looks so slow in that video

sick pass block joke - fortunately people that actually understand reality football realize how important it is 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

sick pass block joke - fortunately people that actually understand reality football realize how important it is 

As evident by Rodgers getting hurt again in week 1. Great blocking.

Vikings this week and then a better RB at running the ball is back. Gimme Rodgers’ WR1 and everyone else can have the scraps.

I'm personally trying to trade him at the moment but if I need to I’ll have zero qualms dropping him Sunday morning for someone. But again, this is a 10 team league. (And he’s my RB7 /csb)

Edited by lolcopter

2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

They need to freaking feature this guy out in space. He was really good at pass-catching last year, but I can see why they didn't considering Rodgers had to receive additional blocking in the second half.

Bears D is no slouch. People dropping him are insane. Give it another 2-3 weeks before you drop (if you have to.)

Personally- J. Williams received almost all the snap share. Jones has been nicked up, suspended, everything. No point in dropping Williams. 

This x 1,000 

There's also the fact GB chose to draft Williams a round before Jones - which a lot of people choose to ignore for some reason. Apparently Williams "looks slow" while he's running through/away from defenders. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

definitely drop the most complete RB on the Packers 

A year long highlight tape where he breaks two tackles, only makes one guy miss, runs though huge holes, makes catches when he is wide open, and really only gets what is blocked for him? He basically just runs into people but doesn't have enough wiggle and or power to break the tackle. That has to be one of the most unimpressive highlight reels I've ever seen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, munde53 said:

A year long highlight tape where he breaks two tackles, only makes one guy miss, runs though huge holes, makes catches when he is wide open, and really only gets what is blocked for him? He basically just runs into people but doesn't have enough wiggle and or power to break the tackle. That has to be one of the most unimpressive highlight reels I've ever seen. 

he literally drags defenders on his first 2 carries, showed excellent hands and elite pass protection ability all season - but ok. I don't actually care who any of you roster, but the hate on this guy is absolutely absurd. 

• Thanks 1

He is a slightly worse Alex Collins. Lol

Collins so over rated but also not a flashy runner with nice cuts etc.

1 minute ago, CanaBuc said:

and yet, one goes 3rd round ... while Williams is also the better back in the passing game. 

Just now, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

he literally drags defenders on his first 2 carries, showed excellent hands and elite pass protection ability all season - but ok. I don't actually care who any of you roster, but the hate on this guy is absolutely absurd. 

So because I think Williams is only a backup RB caliber player means I "hate" him?

Dragging defenders is good but if that's all you can do, and you don't do it particularly well, that doesn't make you a starting NFL RB.

I went back and watched those first two carries and I'm clearly missing what you see. The first carry he is running at full speed, a line backer latches on from a standstill as Williams runs by, and Williams gains another yard or so before he is stopped by a couple defensive backs. That's what he should do as a back of his size but that does not make it anything special. I'll give him credit that he did brush off an arm tackle by a defensive lineman in that run.

The second run he runs into contact, is completely stopped, and his offensive line pushes him forward. The work in that run came from his offensive line not his power. 

He's a big guy who cannot create much if anything on his own.

6 minutes ago, CanaBuc said:

Collins is actually talented. His advance stats last season were really good while Jamaal was one of the worst. 

Jamaal didn't even force a single missed tackle on any of his touches last game. Other than pass blocking he just isn't a good RB. 

Edited by Jj66

Just now, munde53 said:

So because I think Williams is only a backup RB caliber player means I "hate" him?

Dragging defenders is good but if that's all you can do, and you don't do it particularly well, that doesn't make you a starting NFL RB.

I went back and watched those first two carries and I'm clearly missing what you see. The first carry he is running at full speed, a line backer latches on from a standstill as Williams runs by, and Williams gains another yard or so before he is stopped by a couple defensive backs. That's what he should do as a back of his size but that does not make it anything special. I'll give him credit that he did brush off an arm tackle by a defensive lineman in that run.

The second run he runs into contact, is completely stopped, and his offensive line pushes him forward. The work in that run came from his offensive line not his power. 

He's a big guy who cannot create much if anything on his own.

it's not all he can do - power/hands/pass protection, he just doesn't have the "omg freak sparq swag" this board falls in love with. He's a good, complete RB who isn't perfect - but excels in certain areas that will lead to significant reps/touches.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

10 team leagues are still around? Adorable. 

Yup, and if you’re starting this guy at any point your team sucks in those leagues

5 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

it's not all he can do - power/hands/pass protection, he just doesn't have the "omg freak sparq swag" this board falls in love with. He's a good, complete RB who isn't perfect - but excels in certain areas that will lead to significant reps/touches.

But his power isn't all that great, Jones is just as good as a receiver (actually had a lower drop rate that Williams last year), but he is very good in pass pro. 

In a perfect world Jones would be the Packers lead back while Williams would be the short yardage/3rd down back. 

i guess to all you moore guys we will see who is right in a week...lots of points to support each side but i did choose williams and i did because of his pass blocking skills and how he dominated snaps once he got in on the job last year and the praise from the coach....i remember the year of montee ball...remember that guy? the talented  guy who ended up backing up the slouch knowshon moreno... not saying it will go this way in GB but history likes to repeat itself

Edited by Power-O