Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

I would temper expectations. Check out Williams stats from the first 4 games of the year to get an indication of what you can expect.  

3 minutes ago, GChicago said:

I would temper expectations. Check out Williams stats from the first 4 games of the year to get an indication of what you can expect.  

AJ was only suspended the first two games. Weeks 1 & 2, JW faced Chicago and Minny, arguably two of the best defenses in the league. He got 15 and 19 touches, respectively, in those games, and scored a lackluster 4 & 7 points in those games (standard). However, that kind of volume against the Jets is absolutely Flex worthy, depending on other options of course. 

53 minutes ago, GChicago said:

Even if you don't want him, it's week 16.  You grab him to play keep away just in case he balls out.  Unless you are of the "I'm going to let my opponent pick him up and start him" mind, which is always a little risky.  If your opponent grabs him and plugs him in, he's replacing an inferior option in his mind.  You want him to play that inferior option.  Pick up Williams wherever you can.

• Like 6

Any dynasty hope that he earns a little more stable usage next year?

2 hours ago, CooL said:

Even if you don't want him, it's week 16.  You grab him to play keep away just in case he balls out.  Unless you are of the "I'm going to let my opponent pick him up and start him" mind, which is always a little risky.  If your opponent grabs him and plugs him in, he's replacing an inferior option in his mind.  You want him to play that inferior option.  Pick up Williams wherever you can.

Exactly. My opponent is weak at RB and I'm sure there are many leagues where one of the championship teams have a flex worse than Williams.

3 hours ago, Proteus said:

Any dynasty hope that he earns a little more stable usage next year?

His usage will likely be pretty stable next year but stable in a 3-5 touch per game type of way. There were a few skeptics entering the season but even McCarthy realized that Jones is hands down the better RB this season and the only thing Williams may do better is pass blocking (while this is the commonly held belief, the stats may suggest otherwise). His only hope of becoming fantasy viable is if Jones gets injured or he is traded to strong offensive team and becomes a committee member (I don't think he is good enough for a team to be confident in him being their full-time bellcow RB). 

In other words chances are slim he becomes much of anything next year sans an injury occurring. He should be a volume-based RB2 the rest of the season though...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

This guy stinks. 

7 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

He’s not that good and the matchup isn’t that great.

7 hours ago, LuckBox1 said:

League winner.

While I don’t think he’s very good either he should have a decent floor this week. He at least works his bag off on every play and can catch the ball too, it’s all about volume here. Green Bay has had a knack for getting rushing TDs this year, Aaron Jones got one pretty much every game and Williams had one last week too, I like Williams’ odds of getting one this week. 

I don’t think he’s anything close to a league winner either though, his ceiling is just not that high. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

While I don’t think he’s very good either he should have a decent floor this week. He at least works his bag off on every play and can catch the ball too, it’s all about volume here. Green Bay has had a knack for getting rushing TDs this year, Aaron Jones got one pretty much every game and Williams had one last week too, I like Williams’ odds of getting one this week. 

I don’t think he’s anything close to a league winner either though, his ceiling is just not that high. 

You can't argue with the volume Williams will see, but Jones created a lot of those rushing TDs himself. He was a huge part of the offense when healthy. Now it's all just broken. Williams could still fall into the end zone, but his risk of 45 all-purpose yards is way up. Goes up even further if Rodgers sits. I'd be way more optimistic on his prospects if it was a home game.

Williams is in the low-end RB2, high-end RB3 range for me. Probably around RB 25.

Edited by LongBalls

No, the guy is not good.  But I managed to make it to championship week with a little FAAB left and I'll probably be starting the guy over a risky ODB in my flex.  He also would have been an upgrade to my opponents RB2, so I managed to block him as well.  

He can catch, and he should receive a monster workload against the Jets.  I'm firing him up with confidence.

2 hours ago, broncosfan18 said:

If Ware plays, do you start him over Ware/Damien?

If Ware plays GB Williams is the better start. If Ware is out KC Williams is the better play by a fairly wide margin.

19 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

If Ware plays GB Williams is the better start. If Ware is out KC Williams is the better play by a fairly wide margin.

and if ware is a GTD you got some balls waiting for that sunday night game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

and if ware is a GTD you got some balls waiting for that sunday night game

If it comes down to that I think you gotta go GB Williams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, viciousphilpy said:

i think williams is a worse play than mcguire

-own both.

simply put, jets d > packers d. jets at home. 

That's not the only consideration. 

Packers Offense (with Rogers) >>>>>>>>>> Jets Offense with Darnold.