Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

15 hours ago, Geaux Saints said:

How are we feeling about Williams now that Aaron Jones is in the doghouse? 

I’m hoping Jones drops off everyone’s radar.  Jones is still the best RB on the roster.  I’ll take a late flier on him as my 4th RB.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, seanismorris said:

I’m hoping Jones drops off everyone’s radar.  Jones is still the best RB on the roster.  I’ll take a late flier on him as my 4th RB.

probably get him a little later now which is even better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

It won't be once the real games start. 

Williams did nothing with Rodgers as QB, and has never outplayed Montgomery when both were healthy.  Good luck.

I'm not saying Williams is a great RB. But he did have some good games last season. And Montgomery has underwhelmed at both WR and RB. GB don't have any great options at RB. 

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Williams did nothing with Rodgers as QB, and has never outplayed Montgomery when both were healthy.  Good luck.

Hate to be that guy but this isn't the story at all.   Williams completely rode the pine until November 12th- Montgomery's last game.   He had 15 touches before that, total.   He never played when Montgomery was healthy, and got all of one game with Rodgers in which the entire offense pretty much got its a** kicked.      

I wont offer up Williams as the savior of anyone's fantasy team.  He at least had a four game stretch in which he was insanely productive though.   Montgomery is a guy that i still dont think GB knows what to do with.  I see no way he outcarries Williams, and Williams has such good blitz pickup skills, he could reduce TyMont to a bit player, even without factoring in Jones.   

32 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not saying Williams is a great RB. But he did have some good games last season. And Montgomery has underwhelmed at both WR and RB. GB don't have any great options at RB. 

I’m higher on Montgomery than you, but he doesn’t seem to hold up in volume work.  Williams best quality is his blocking, but his fantasy production is volume dependent.  I think his ADP at draft time will be to high (7th?). I think I can get Jones in the 10th.  We’ll see...  In this RBBC I want value.

People are hoping Williams wins the starting job with Jones suspended.  I don’t think that will be the case.  I’m hoping Jones (as a stash) wins that role in the 2nd half of the season.  I think Jones will show he’s the best RB on the roster.

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Hate to be that guy but this isn't the story at all.   Williams completely rode the pine until November 12th- Montgomery's last game.   He had 15 touches before that, total.   He never played when Montgomery was healthy, and got all of one game with Rodgers in which the entire offense pretty much got its a** kicked.      

I wont offer up Williams as the savior of anyone's fantasy team.  He at least had a four game stretch in which he was insanely productive though.   Montgomery is a guy that i still dont think GB knows what to do with.  I see no way he outcarries Williams, and Williams has such good blitz pickup skills, he could reduce TyMont to a bit player, even without factoring in Jones.   

Literally the only game Williams bombed after Montgomery was hurt was...the only game Rodgers played (with the playoffs on the line). He is neither a better runner nor receiver than Montgomery; kind of explains why he never got playing time when TyMont was healthy. 

15 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Literally the only game Williams bombed after Montgomery was hurt was...the only game Rodgers played (with the playoffs on the line). He is neither a better runner nor receiver than Montgomery; kind of explains why he never got playing time when TyMont was healthy. 

In that Packers/Panthers game Rodgers played in, the O-Line got absolutely minced the entire game.  Rodgers was running for his life most of the game.  3 sacks, 3 picks.    It turned into a shootout since GB also couldn't stop Cam Newton.     Williams got 10 carries, not exactly a showcase.     10 carries with Rodgers is such a small sample size, it means absolutely nothing.   

RB 37 with 106 ADP on ESPN doesn't sound like a bad lotto ticket. With his superior pass blocking and Jones suspension you figure he'll get the first crack at the job. Seems like its going to be a full blown RBBC. Williams isn't the runner that Jones is or the receiver that Montgomery is but he is a good hybrid as a good receiver, blocker and you figure with Rodgers back he can post a better ypc. I don't think he has the upside that Jones has but I do think he has a better shot at winning over the majority of the touches out of the backfield. 

Which of the 3 is predicted to be the GL back? Even with Graham coming to town in that offense that role alone holds RB3/flex value. 

4 hours ago, BrianM said:

In that Packers/Panthers game Rodgers played in, the O-Line got absolutely minced the entire game.  Rodgers was running for his life most of the game.  3 sacks, 3 picks.    It turned into a shootout since GB also couldn't stop Cam Newton.     Williams got 10 carries, not exactly a showcase.     10 carries with Rodgers is such a small sample size, it means absolutely nothing.   

And yet that was the only game Williams didn't get any receiving work. It matters, since he's never outproduced Montgomery whenever both have been available. 

But please keep drafting him over TyMont. Thanks ?.

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And yet that was the only game Williams didn't get any receiving work. It matters, since he's never outproduced Montgomery whenever both have been available. 

But please keep drafting him over TyMont. Thanks ?.

He was a rookie last season...

10 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

he's never outproduced Montgomery whenever both have been available. 

He did not play, at all, when Montgomery was available.   He was a mid round rookie in Green Bay, where they almost never let skill position rookies off the leash (Lacy's the only one I can think of).   That isn't a negative.   If you want to use it as a sign of GB not believing in him, well, he played, and produced, so that's going to erase any predisposition you think they might have had prior to November.  

I'm not sold on Williams over Jones as a runner but the other factors could make it hard for Jones to stay on the field. My thought is both will be off the field on 3rd down in favor on TMont so why not keep the more electric runner out there (Jones)? 

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/45180/last-shot-theres-a-lot-to-prove-for-packers-ty-montgomery

Perhaps the committee approach will help in both regards. Although no one will say what that actually means in terms of reps, early in camp Williams has gotten the bulk of the work with the starters during normal down-and-distance situations while Montgomery has handled the two-minute and no-huddle drives where his receiving skills could come back into play. Jones, who must serve a two-game suspension to the start the season, dropped out after two practices with a hamstring injury.

Some good 'ole early camp coach speak: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/27/mike-mccarthy-confident-in-big-second-year-jump-from-rb-jamaal-williams/

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is confident running back Jamaal Williams will improve on his rookie season in 2018.

“He’s bigger, stronger. He looks good,” McCarthy said Friday. “I feel pretty confident that when we’re talking about the season that he’s going to be one of the guys that’s taken the big second-year jump.”

McCarthy said Williams earned the opportunities right away as a rookie.

“You could really see, coming in, really from rookie orientation camp all the way, he really jumped out front. I always felt he was the leader of that rookie class,” McCarthy said.

• Like 3

Good info NYR Fan. 

This one is tricky. It's hard to know how much stock to put into these quotes, but if he continues to handle the bulk of the work with the starters during normal down-and-distance situations, and Jones is dealing with an injury AND suspension... Williams could make it hard for Jones to steal back a significant role. 

Think about the spike in value we would see if Williams has a couple good preseason games and Jones remains limited/less effective. 

6 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Good info NYR Fan. 

This one is tricky. It's hard to know how much stock to put into these quotes, but if he continues to handle the bulk of the work with the starters during normal down-and-distance situations, and Jones is dealing with an injury AND suspension... Williams could make it hard for Jones to steal back a significant role. 

Think about the spike in value we would see if Williams has a couple good preseason games and Jones remains limited/less effective. 

Good franchises don't make light of issues like Jones is suspended for IMO. He'll have to work his way back into the rotation with very limited carries early on I believe. Williams WILL get his chance to be a featured back minus TMont stealing 3rd down work 

No thanks. Williams was a plodder last year that struggled to get even 4 YPC.  He was the NFL's least explosive RB last year.  Meanwhile, Aaron Jones was the opposite.  Only Alvin Kamara had explosive runs at a higher clip.  Jones had a 15 yard run on almost 10% of his runs (second to Kamara).  Williams was on the other side of that stat as he produced a 15+ yard run on only just 1% of carries which was BY FAR the worst in the NFL among guys with over 100 carries.  

I much prefer both Monty and Jones over Williams who offers no upside given his inability to create big plays.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, kevinwayne20 said:

No thanks. Williams was a plodder last year that struggled to get even 4 YPC.  He was the NFL's least explosive RB last year.  Meanwhile, Aaron Jones was the opposite.  Only Alvin Kamara had explosive runs at a higher clip.  Jones had a 15 yard run on almost 10% of his runs (second to Kamara).  Williams was on the other side of that stat as he produced a 15+ yard run on only just 1% of carries which was BY FAR the worst in the NFL among guys with over 100 carries.  

I much prefer both Monty and Jones over Williams who offers no upside given his inability to create big plays.

Williams ..no upside???

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Williams ..no upside???

He just explained why, right? Which of his statements do you disagree with?

• Like 1

Jones certainly looked like the best back last year, and I will be trying to target him late for sure.  However, he hasn't done himself any favors missing time at the start of the year.  That gives Jamaal precious time to build on what he did last year and further gain the trust of the staff and Rodgers.  I think he was pretty good in pass pro, and he did have some big plays in the passing game.  If the offense is humming, they may not want to shake things up too much.  Bottom line, the preferred RB in this offense is going to have a lot of value.

Preferred.

All words spoken IN 2018 are it's Jamaal's job.

Better than Jones in pass pro.

Jones BEHIND ty Montgomery right now.

Coaches praising JW.

yes.....no upside.

I guess there is no upside in the 2 game "prove it" audition either.

Hammy issues linger.

No upside.

Edited by Whitecloud0101

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Preferred.

All words spoken IN 2018 are it's Jamaal's job.

Better than Jones in pass pro.

Jones BEHIND ty Montgomery right now.

Coaches praising JW.

yes.....no upside.

I guess there is no upside in the 2 game "prove it" audition either.

Hammy issues linger.

No upside.

I guess if simply being on the field is upside.  If being in pass pro is upside for a RB in FF.  Not sure what's changed much from last year's TC.  Williams was the better back in pass pro.  Williams got all the praise in TC.  Jones started the year 3rd on the depth chart.  Being a Packer fan, I'm fully aware of what their saying about Williams and none of that is going to get me to completely ignore what I  seen last year.  Williams is a 3.5 YPC plodder who offers little to no big play ability.  If Jones is able to get out of the dog house he's in because of the suspension and if he's healthy I expect him to get his opportunity given the explosive nature of his running ability that he showed last year.

I'm not sure if I'm drafting either but if I do, I much prefer Jones and its because of his big play ability.  

21 minutes ago, kevinwayne20 said:

I guess if simply being on the field is upside.  If being in pass pro is upside for a RB in FF.  Not sure what's changed much from last year's TC.  Williams was the better back in pass pro.  Williams got all the praise in TC.  Jones started the year 3rd on the depth chart.  Being a Packer fan, I'm fully aware of what their saying about Williams and none of that is going to get me to completely ignore what I  seen last year.  Williams is a 3.5 YPC plodder who offers little to no big play ability.  If Jones is able to get out of the dog house he's in because of the suspension and if he's healthy I expect him to get his opportunity given the explosive nature of his running ability that he showed last year.

I'm not sure if I'm drafting either but if I do, I much prefer Jones and its because of his big play ability.  

Big play ability means nothing if he doesn’t see the field.  

Draft both or trade for one.    There’s no way to know how this shakes out.   Those that point to Jamaals low YPC are disregarding the fact that he started getting work right about when Rodgers went down.  The entire offense was in flux.  He also routinely went over 20 carries and was a major factor in the passing game. 

Jones played with Rodgers, never had 20+ carries, and never had more than 9 yards receiving in any game.  He also had several games sub 4 YPC.  

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Draft both or trade for one.    There’s no way to know how this shakes out.   Those that point to Jamaals low YPC are disregarding the fact that he started getting work right about when Rodgers went down.  The entire offense was in flux.  He also routinely went over 20 carries and was a major factor in the passing game. 

Jones played with Rodgers, never had 20+ carries, and never had more than 9 yards receiving in any game.  He also had several games sub 4 YPC.  

That's not even what it was, Jamaal played against teams when their linemen were hurt and/or the opposing defense was good, and Jones was the opposite. Jamaal was destroying the Bears defense before he got hurt. He's not very good, but neither is Jones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

That's not even what it was, Jamaal played against teams when their linemen were hurt and/or the opposing defense was good, and Jones was the opposite. Jamaal was destroying the Bears defense before he got hurt. He's not very good, but neither is Jones. 

I can’t speak to the exact matchups but my point stands regardless.    Your post just further drives home that YPC is an incomplete picture when evaluating future potential of rbs. 

• Thanks 1