Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

Packers RB is all about the short yardage and GL conversions. Rodgers will do the rest of the work between the 20's. Didn't Kuhn have double digit TD's or close to that one season? I don't think they envision their RB going off for 1000+ rushing yards.

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

someone tell McCarthy to shut the hell up before my draft next week.

Just old news tbh. Williams is the best blocker of the bunch, you should expect him to lead the team in RB snaps, whether the Aaron Jones Fan Club wants to hear it or not.

Just now, devaster said:

Packers RB is all about the short yardage and GL conversions. Rodgers will do the rest of the work between the 20's. Didn't Kuhn have double digit TD's or close to that one season? I don't think they envision their RB going off for 1000+ rushing yards.

Kuhn was never close. Unless Williams is going to be on the field in passing situations, he's an inferior Eddie Lacy at best (with much less volume) and is being overdrafted.

3 minutes ago, MJ10162 said:

Just old news tbh. Williams is the best blocker of the bunch, you should expect him to lead the team in RB snaps, whether the Aaron Jones Fan Club wants to hear it or not.

I own Williams but Jones looked like the most dynamic player in this backfield last season and it’s not even close

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I own Williams but Jones looked like the most dynamic player in this backfield last season and it’s not even close

Doesn't matter, Jones won't hold much value if he can't even win the starting job. McCarthy's priority is keeping Rodgers upright, not establishing a running game. Green Bay doesn't need one with Rodgers healthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJ10162 said:

Doesn't matter, Jones won't hold much value if he can't even win the starting job. McCarthy's priority is keeping Rodgers upright, not establishing a running game. Green Bay doesn't need one with Rodgers healthy.

sounds like RBBC wasteland to me, especially after that short suspension is up

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

sounds like RBBC wasteland to me, especially after that short suspension is up

Jamaal is a bit underrated, he got a rough shake of things last year, always getting stuck on the field when the line was injured. Jones had a much higher proportion of Bulaga to work with. That said, I don't think he's worth it at his ADP personally. Jones is also a little early given his situation, though I think he's capable of being a very good runner. I'm also likely to avoid everything, though I could see myself taking Monty just because he could put up great numbers with injuries and he's going very late.

Jamaal Williams runs violent with a bit wiggle while jones is all wiggle with no pass protection. Thy both compliment each other well but I would want Jamaal Williams in my team

33 minutes ago, devaster said:

No.  As I mentioned before, in the last 10 years, only 3 times did a GB RB have more than 4 TDs.  Eddie Lacy (9, 11), and Ryan Grant (11). 

should  be a committee for all 3 guys, with Williams getting the first crack at carving out a larger share, not really rocket science.  unless Jones  has significantly improved in pass pro this off season he isn't, there is no chance he is the lead back if Williams and Monte can put up serviceable numbers.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MJ10162 said:

Jamaal is a bit underrated, he got a rough shake of things last year, always getting stuck on the field when the line was injured. Jones had a much higher proportion of Bulaga to work with. That said, I don't think he's worth it at his ADP personally. 

The starting RB for one of the better offenses in the league in the 7th round seems like a fair price to me.  Even considering the @Chardo's stat over the last 10 years, I still think Williams is a great value at his current ADP.  He is more than just a body to fill your RB2 slot with.  

16 hours ago, devaster said:

If he pass blocks above average then there's not taking him out of the game. Rodgers has broken his collar bone twice in recent years. He can't take any more hits like that even if he wasn't in the pocket for my particular examples.

16 hours ago, Chardo said:

No.  As I mentioned before, in the last 10 years, only 3 times did a GB RB have more than 4 TDs.  Eddie Lacy (9, 11), and Ryan Grant (11). 

That's because they utilize the talents of what they have to work with. This is how they keep making the playoffs every year. They play smart. If Williams does well in the redzone then they will keep going back to the well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

someone tell McCarthy to shut the hell up before my draft next week.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Jamaal Williams is "poised to have a big year."

"I think we'll be talking about him at the end of the season as a second-year player that's made the jump," McCarthy added. With Aaron Jones suspended to start the year, Williams is going to open as the starter, and the Packers showed a tendency to stick with one back last season. If he can stay healthy, it is possible if not likely Williams will keep the job all year. He remains a fine pick even with his ADP creeping up every day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chardo said:

And 2 of those years were without Rodgers for much of the season.

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

And 2 of those years were without Rodgers for much of the season.

Good point, so they weren't able to move the chains and so it made it extra difficult to run in TDs.

11 hours ago, SvanE42 said:

The starting RB for one of the better offenses in the league in the 7th round seems like a fair price to me.  Even considering the @Chardo's stat over the last 10 years, I still think Williams is a great value at his current ADP.  He is more than just a body to fill your RB2 slot with.  

He's in a committee where he's fine, but still the worst yardage gainer of the 3, and the team doesn't commit to the run (unless it's in Lacy's case, where he was briefly one of the 5 best RBs in the league). I don't think he's a huge reach or some bust, but he's a little rich for my taste.

I'm just not convinced the book is written on Jamaal Williams yet. 

He got an extended run last year, but it was with Rodgers on the shelf. 

He was also a rookie, still learning the playbook, assignments, etc...

I think Williams could be significantly better in year 2 based on getting to play with Rodgers, being better prepared/more comfortable with the playbook and his assignments, etc...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Jamaal Williams is "poised to have a big year."

"I think we'll be talking about him at the end of the season as a second-year player that's made the jump," McCarthy added. With Aaron Jones suspended to start the year, Williams is going to open as the starter, and the Packers showed a tendency to stick with one back last season. If he can stay healthy, it is possible if not likely Williams will keep the job all year. He remains a fine pick even with his ADP creeping up every day.

This is the reason why I took a flier on him in the 17th round (out of 21 rounds). He'll get his shot with Jones out.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 10:26 AM, MJ10162 said:

That's an outlier tbh.

Nope, Jones was also picked up in my 10 man league and also in my 12 man league.

1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

Nope, Jones was also picked up in my 10 man league and also in my 12 man league.

I'm confused. Yes, Jones is being drafted in basically all leagues. 2-3 rounds after Williams.

39 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

This is the reason why I took a flier on him in the 17th round (out of 21 rounds). He'll get his shot with Jones out.

His ADP is up into the 5th round in standard... but congrats I'm sure you'll school the 2nd graders in the class you teach :lol:

Edited by smeeze
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, smeeze said:

His ADP is up into the 5th round in standard...

really? Must depend on where you draft?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

Lets forget the quality (or lack thereof) of your league for a second...why did YOU pass on him for that long?