Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

21 minutes ago, Watitdookie said:

My question if we knew Jamaal as undeniably their starter for the whole season. What rd would you pick him in?! Think it to yourself. Wouldn’t blame no RB strategists getting him after the 5-6 rd. Means that they did they’re dilligence

I  currently have him ranked right around my 20th ranked RB so I'd say 5th round ish.   I wouldn't think he'd be available after the 6th regardless of whether he will or won't be the undeniable starter for the entire season.

36 minutes ago, Nickstaa said:

I drafted him at 80th in a standard league. Am i insane?

That’s solid value. 17th round is insane.

There’s a good chance he’s the starting RB for a GB offense with Rodger$ at the helm for the whole season.

I’ll take him at 69 if he’s there, but he won’t be.

I'd feel a whole lot better about drafting Williams where you have to if Aaron Jones weren't in the mix after week 2.

9 minutes ago, k.k. said:

I'd feel a whole lot better about drafting Williams where you have to if Aaron Jones weren't in the mix after week 2.

You wouldn't be able to get William's where you can if the jones thing wasnt looming...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, k.k. said:

IMO he's not playing to earn the job. He's playing not to lose his job. That's actually a pretty great situation. If he moves the chains and keeps Aaron alive they have zero reason to sub him out for Jones. Zero 

• Like 2

This situation is a mess. But if it weren’t a mess, we wouldn’t be talking about guys being drafted where they are.

Williams is in the best spot. By a wide margin to me. He has 2 games to solidify his role. Ty will have his role, but he’s made of glass, so my guess is he gets measured use.

i agree with the thought that if GB is moving the ball, and Williams is pass blocking well, why would GB chang.

who knows? But if someone on this roster is a RB2 at the end of the year, Williams has the clearest path by a good margin to me.

The consensus is that Jones has much more talent, correct? 

The Packers O-Line is Top 10 according to PFF, and the #1 focus for the opposition is Rodgers, so Williams will produce, but what happens when Jones comes back and breaks off some long runs?  What then?

12 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

The consensus is that Jones has much more talent, correct? 

The Packers O-Line is Top 10 according to PFF, and the #1 focus for the opposition is Rodgers, so Williams will produce, but what happens when Jones comes back and breaks off some long runs?  What then?

no, not at all. better runner, far inferior blocker. you can look to where the packers drafted them to determine their talent levels. jones definitely does not have "much more talent". 

5 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

no, not at all. better runner, far inferior blocker. you can look to where the packers drafted them to determine their talent levels. jones definitely does not have "much more talent". 

Williams in the 4th round and Jones in the 5th.  

I suppose that settles it, then.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Williams in the 4th round and Jones in the 5th.  

I suppose that settles it, then.

yes, your assertion that jones is perceived as being "much more talented" is incorrect from literally every possible angle. their talent levels are quite comparable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

yes, your assertion that jones is perceived as being "much more talented" is incorrect from literally every possible angle. their talent levels are quite comparable. 

“Literally every possible angle” is such a millennial thing to say.  

• Haha 3

Not sure what you guys think of Fabiano but this was his opinion on the subject a few months ago. 

• Haha 1

I think he's well worth the risk at his current price - I am not hesitating drafting him as early as late 5th/early 6th in 12 team leagues. There seems to be this notion however that he performs well then Aaron Jones will not be given an opportunity when he returns from suspension and it will be Jamaal's job for the ROS. I think one possible outcome is Jamaal performs well, Jones returns from surgery and also contributes. I don't think it necessarily has to be one or the other, they're both talented backs with different skillsets, it makes sense to utilize them both.

• Thanks 2

I got him in th 9th round in my 12 teamer last week but not really sure what I have? Seems like  touchdowns are not really likely since Rogers is going to throw it so is our expectation 60-90 yards rushing and the 30% chance of a td? 

Does anyone remember when Aaron jones was healthy last year after his injury and scored a 20 yard game winning td? That was his only touch of the game.

Williams dominates touches rest of season, with crap hundley and a crap overall team. 

Got it him in the late 7th early 8th. Easy money.

6 hours ago, smeeze said:

There’s a good chance he’s the starting RB for a GB offense with Rodger$ at the helm for the whole season.

Isn't Montgomery the starter?

I've been aggressively targeting shares of Williams in recent drafts after noticing how low his ADP/Auction price is coupled with the opportunity + role he has for at least the first 2 games of the season. Admittedly I wasn't overly impressed with what I watched last year, but as previously mentioned there were plenty of valid explanations as to why he didn't jump off the tape. Inept/league worst QB play, injured O-line, he also dealt with numerous injuries, being a rookie, etc..

I went back and watched some tape and I was more impressed then what I remembered. He's versatile, smooth, patient, he really pass protects well (this is huge), and he's definitely an adept receiver. He does a nice job of allowing blocks to materialize, especially for a rookie. I think with another year/offseason under his belt, an above average run blocking unit, this guy named Aaron Rodgers handing him the ball, he could be really good. I can see why McCarthy was singing his praises.

I've moved him up to the RB20 and I'd rather own him the guys like Ajayi, Lynch, Lamar Miller, Royce Freeman, and Derrick Henry.  I'd appreciate someone talking me off the cliff and telling me why I'm totally overrating him and out of my mind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CrastersCreep said:

I've been aggressively targeting shares of Williams in recent drafts after noticing how low his ADP/Auction price is coupled with the opportunity + role he has for at least the first 2 games of the season. Admittedly I wasn't overly impressed with what I watched last year, but as previously mentioned there were plenty of valid explanations as to why he didn't jump off the tape. Inept/league worst QB play, injured O-line, he also dealt with numerous injuries, being a rookie, etc..

I went back and watched some tape and I was more impressed then what I remembered. He's versatile, smooth, patient, he really pass protects well (this is huge), and he's definitely an adept receiver. He does a nice job of allowing blocks to materialize, especially for a rookie. I think with another year/offseason under his belt, an above average run blocking unit, this guy named Aaron Rodgers handing him the ball, he could be really good. I can see why McCarthy was singing his praises.

I've moved him up to the RB20 and I'd rather own him the guys like Ajayi, Lynch, Lamar Miller, Royce Freeman, and Derrick Henry.  I'd appreciate someone talking me off the cliff and telling me why I'm totally overrating him and out of my mind.

won't be me. I agree with everything you said (though I do have Miller higher)

22 hours ago, Panthor said:

who are these more reliable RBs you are talking about?

image.png.0f93054b653fe42a27eef1a0b25c23bb.png

there isn't a single name there that is a no brainer pick  ahead of Williams.

Well, considering Aaron Jones is a better runner and TMont a much better 3rd down receiving threat, I'll take these guys ahead of him currently

Hyde (no brainer)

Dion Lewis (PPR no brainer)

Coleman (PPR for sure)

Barber (3 down back yes please)

Burkhead/Michel (if I had 1/2 other RB's by then, I'd gamble on those guys potentially)

21 hours ago, smeeze said:

?

16 minutes ago, TPowell said:

Well, considering Aaron Jones is a better runner and TMont a much better 3rd down receiving threat, I'll take these guys ahead of him currently

Hyde (no brainer)

Dion Lewis (PPR no brainer)

Coleman (PPR for sure)

Barber (3 down back yes please)

Burkhead/Michel (if I had 1/2 other RB's by then, I'd gamble on those guys potentially)

every single one of them has question marks.  not a single no brainer  there,  closest is Hyde and he even has Chubb on his heels and health concerns.  you may want them all ahead of Williams but you certainly don't speak for a majority of the people, so not quite as much of a no brainer as you would think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panthor said:

every single one of them has question marks.  not a single no brainer  there,  closest is Hyde and he even has Chubb on his heels and health concerns.  you may want them all ahead of Williams but you certainly don't speak for a majority of the people, so not quite as much of a no brainer as you would think.

Interested in others thoughts in this discussion.

1 hour ago, Panthor said:

1 hour ago, TPowell said:

Interested in others thoughts in this discussion.

Hes right...All of them have pretty major question marks.  Jamaal Barber Hyde are the three id have a tier above the others.   Hyde is the most decorated and looking good in camp, Barber stole the job from their rookie heir apparent, and Williams has the best offense of the 3 by far, with praise showering down from the coaches.     All carry substantial risk and shouldn’t be more than your 3rd rb.  

Edited by Impreza178