Geaux Saints

Jamaal Williams 2018 Outlook

22 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

The hate for this guy is unmerited. Why do so many here think he will fail?

Aaron Jones fanbois...

Member the Christine Michael love? yea like that...

22 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

No matter what, it will be a RBBC, riding the hot hand. No way around that. After injuries derailed the backfield last time, McCarthy will keep all the guys game fresh in case one or more go down again. Yes, Williams appears to be the preferred pass blocking back, but they will use Jones to smash between the tackles, and Ty to take some short passes to hopefully break some big plays. The packers are not interested in anyway of having a 3 down workhorse back. They prefer to pass, pass, pass, and to model their backfield after the patriots RBBC. 

I passed on Williams cuz he went higher than I was willing to spend, and only grabbed Jones, cuz he was my last pick, otherwise I wouldn’t have picked him. Montgomery is still on Waivers. If there are injuries, then you will see the remaining backs become relevant most games, but until that happens, it will be a guessing game of which back puts up the points, just like the patriots backfield, (which every year I say DND, but every year end up with one or two... lol) 

As a packer fan, I don’t care which back does awesome, as long as they tear it up!

Disagree with just about everything except the last sentence. If by RBBC you mean it won't be a Todd Gurley/Ezekiel Elliott/David Johnson situation, then you're right. A healthy Jones probably gets between 5-10 carries a game (closer to 5, I'd wager, unless he tears a big one on one of his early carries). TyMont, I don't know what to think. I've heard him spoken of as a 3rd-down back but he may be worse than Jones at pass blocking (he was drafted as a WR, after all). 

Not sure if this was a typo or not, but Jones "smash[ing] between the tackles" is quite the opposite of his running style -- he uses his burst and speed to either find cutback lanes or bounce outside. Williams is the interior grinder. 

The Packers have never once modeled their backfield after the Patriots'. I'll wait patiently while you come up with a single Packers RB who can be compared in any way to James White in the way he's been used. You're gonna have a hard time finding one. When the Packers have a RB who they believe can be a 3-down workhorse, McCarthy has shown that he will play that RB like one. Eddie Lacy is the most recent example, but James Starks during the SB run, Ryan Grant before that, and Ahman Green before that (McCarthy's first year was Green's last as a full-time starter). The problem is they haven't had RBs who possess 3-down talent since Lacy, and he was used as such until his last year when he was overweight and split time with Starks.

Williams isn't gonna be on the field 90% of the time like Le'Veon (or maybe I need a better example...) but there's nothing in McCarthy's history to indicate that if Williams possesses the 3-down talent that I believe he does (and I think McCarthy does as well), he won't be utilized as such.

New England Patriots RBBC as a model...where the hell did you come up with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raynestorm said:

You know what I meant... When Jones comes off suspension... 

Ty and Williams will be in the backfield these next 2 weeks. Week 3 and on, Jones, Ty, and Williams will all be in the backfield. 

I dont draft for players to start only 2 games, I look at my picks as all long term plays...

Williams (besides tough defenses), will be good play next 2 weeks. After that, barring injuries, it will be a guessing game...

Oh, I was speaking strictly about the present. Williams is massively underrated for week 1. However, yes, it has the potential to get murkier after Jones returns. Williams has a real chance to create some distance if he plays well though. 

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Anyone contemplating starting him against the bears D?....it might be a tough one for the packers offense.

what other options would you opt for?

In PPR, I'm starting Williams over Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Tarik Cohen, Chris Thompson, and James White.

I know the Bears D is stout, but the GB offense should be elite. I'm going with my instinct and playing the starting RB on a team favored by over a TD. 

1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

The hate for this guy is unmerited. Why do so many here think he will fail?

I honestly think it has to do mostly with running style. Aaron Jones is quicker and more agile and when he plays, certainly appears quite a bit faster. He also averaged almost 2 YPC more than Williams last year (a lot of that due to long runs, but that's part of his game). With that said, Jones' success largely came while Rodgers was healthy, while Williams carried the load with Hundley under center. Jones' running style is more fun to watch, and he was more successful per carry last year -- that's why Williams is getting no love. 

20 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Aaron Jones owners are going to fleece J Will owners when they realize that they drafted the wrong RB. 

Statements like this without a shred of statistical evidence or reasoning behind them don't contribute much to the conversation outside of showing your ignorance towards what the Packers' coaching staff values in a RB, and what the skill sets of these two RBs are.

Anyone contemplating starting him against the bears D?....it might be a tough one for the packers offense.

what other options would you opt for?

Starting him over Ajayi. Packers are favored by over a touchdown and it's in Lambeau. Trubisky in the night lights against Rodgers? Yeah. Ok. Bears are going to get their butts kicked and Williams will get plenty of touches in the 4th quarter. Confident start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Starting him over Ajayi. Packers are favored by over a touchdown and it's in Lambeau. Trubisky in the night lights against Rodgers? Yeah. Ok. Bears are going to get their butts kicked and Williams will get plenty of touches in the 4th quarter. Confident start.

Plus, Packers are going to run a lot of delayed handoffs and screen passes to try to mitigate the pressure on Rodgers. Williams may not get 100 on the ground but I think he breaks 100 yards total, with 5-8 rec included.

29 minutes ago, danmam said:

Statements like this without a shred of statistical evidence or reasoning behind them don't contribute much to the conversation outside of showing your ignorance towards what the Packers' coaching staff values in a RB, and what the skill sets of these two RBs are.

To be fair McCarthy coaches pretty ignorantly so he may be on to something..

Edited by Magoo

10 minutes ago, Magoo said:

To be fair McCarthy coaches pretty ignorantly so he may be on to something..

Fortunately he's got Rodgers there to nudge him when he's about to do something TOO idiotic.

• Haha 1

For a guy people claim is just a plodder he sure had a bunch of huge TDs last year.  

9 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Trubisky isn't trying to sack Rodgers 

9 hours ago, danmam said:

Jones 5.55 ypc 2nd in NFL 

Williams is around 3 YPC

Jones 44% of carries for 5+ yards

Williams 32%

Jones 11th ranked yards after contact 

Williams is 49th

Last year Williams got a lot more play on 3rd down and hurry up situations. Mainly because he was a better blocker than Jones. With that said Jones is statistically better in every category other than usage mainly because of pass blocking. Williams is a great pass blocking RB, Jones needs to show improvement at one thing in order to be a 3 down back and likely an RB2 in fantasy. Given how much more productive of a runner Jones is, Williams will likely not be taking snaps from him.  I expect Jones usage to go up and Williams to go down. 

Like I said, Jones owners are going to have a very good back on their hands or they will fleece Williams owners once Williams owners realize they drafter the wrong RB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Williams is around 3 YPC

Williams 32%

Williams is 49th

Last year Williams got a lot more play on 3rd down and hurry up situations. Mainly because he was a better blocker than Jones. With that said Jones is statistically better in every category other than usage mainly because of pass blocking. Williams is a great pass blocking RB, Jones needs to show improvement at one thing in order to be a 3 down back and likely an RB2 in fantasy. Given how much more productive of a runner Jones is, Williams will likely not be taking snaps from him.  I expect Jones usage to go up and Williams to go down. 

Like I said, Jones owners are going to have a very good back on their hands or they will fleece Williams owners once Williams owners realize they drafter the wrong RB. 

Stats are nice but the trump card here is “Williams is a great pass blocking RB”, especially with Rodgers coming off a broken collarbone last season. The Packers main goal is to keep Rodgers healthy. We saw what happened while Rodgers was sidelined. 

3 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

Stats are nice but the trump card here is “Williams is a great pass blocking RB”, especially with Rodgers coming off a broken collarbone last season. The Packers main goal is to keep Rodgers healthy. We saw what happened while Rodgers was sidelined. 

Not only that-  but Williams had the misfortune to play with backup linemen and no Cpt Rodgers.    Jones had none of those worries.   

Williams is the back to own on GB this season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

Williams is around 3 YPC

Williams 32%

Williams is 49th

This is why I like Jones and own him in a few leagues as well (sometimes with Williams, sometimes not). But sample size and situation are big here.

Jones has nearly half the rushing attempts and played mostly on a better GB team. I expect all his stats to move more toward that 3-4 YPC range as the rushing attempts even out.

I also think you're way, way underestimating the pass blocking. Jones will likely get some early down work and break some big plays. But I don't see him replacing Williams simply due to pass protection. 

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 1

Trubisky isn't trying to sack Rodgers 

Trubisky will not be able to keep up with Rodgers is what I'm saying. I don't think he's great and him in a night game @ GB against a really improved defense will be tough for him. Also, going with the home favorite by a touchdown hence why I think Williams is a great start. 

46 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Not only that-  but Williams had the misfortune to play with backup linemen and no Cpt Rodgers.    Jones had none of those worries.   

Williams is the back to own on GB this season.  

The back to own is the one tied most with Rodgers as a receiver and runner (Montgomery). 

Edited by joshua18

Just now, joshua18 said:

The back to own is the one tied most with Rodgers (Montgomery). 

The back to own is actually a running back, not a converted wide receiver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ak427 said:

Hey...you were warned. 

24 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Hey...you were warned. 

Weve seen that re-run 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ak427 said:

A back that loads up on receptions? Sign me up