Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

4 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

How many roster spots in the leagues you're running?

15. Start 9(no kicker and no defense) with 6 bench spots. 

• Thanks 1

Full disclosure this went down in the league that my wife is in so I am not directly involved but wanted to see if there is another side than what she/I am feeling.

Wife had her draft Tuesday Night, it was an in person draft and some 2 of the girls couldn't make it so they "auto-drafted" for them, basically took whoever was highest on ESPN top 300 list.  Draft ends and I am looking over her team and league with her Wednesday morning and see the Conner went undrafted (also when news broke about Le Veon not showing)  All undrafted players are on waivers till Thursday night, so I tell her to submit a waiver claim for him which would have processed last night.  She was 5th on waivers so probably wouldn't have gotten him but still worth a shot.

She checked her team this morning and one of the girls (her opponent this week coincidently)  that had auto drafted had reached out to the LM on Wednesday afternoon because she wanted to make some add/drops (she had auto drafted  Wentz and no other QB so she needed to pick up a backup for this week to start) She ended up having the LM pick up Conner, a QB and a WR.

I told wife to make a fuss cuz she should have had to wait for waivers to process like everyone else but she's new to the league and didn't want to make waves.  As I see it, she could have benched Wentz and picked up someone today, its blatantly obvious that it was a very unfair advantage but I wanted to see if anyone had a different perspective or have run into this type of situation before.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:58 AM, Novaray said:

So if it was accepted an hour after the injury was announced then it would be okay? And when does the timer start for that?  The moment someone tweets it out or the moment the injury happens? 

How come timing plays a factor here and not in the case when ie. people claim free agents the minute after waivers clear?  Should those people not have access to players because they were being diligent and cared enough to pick up players at 3:01 AM while you were asleep and locked out of your phone?

I think honestly its one of the reasons a lot of leagues have a Blind Bid period that is a couple days, then after that its FCFS - this gives everyone a crack at players on a level playing field. 

* If no info is out at timing of acceptance, its just bad luck, I had AJ Green go down in practice 3-4 years ago literally 2 hours after I accepted a deal to acquire him, our league has a college draft where we take guys still in college, can be very valuable as "free" keepers their rookie year, not sure how many remember Marcus Lattimore from South Carolina, I acquired him the night before he had that horrific knee injury - it happens and those deals should remain, as both parties made the deal with right intentions, it just is bad luck. 

* On the other part its agree to disagree - I do agree that people should not just leave deals "hanging out there" and when news breaks that changes the status of players involved in offers, I would think for my preference there would be some sort of time window to pull the deals back or understand that you can rush to accept but that they may be overturned or that if status has change you may want to reclaify with owner.   That said, this can become a slippery slope - what if the "throw in" part of an offer all of a sudden gets vaulted to starter due to injury of player not even involved in the deal?  Does that apply?  Thats where you can play this game forever.  I would hope that most owners wouldnt do it, and as Commish I would strongly advise owners for the good of the league not to do it, and maybe there is some sort of 24-hour revoke unaccepted offer period when injuries occur - but there are instances that also change value like injuries to other players, trades etc that may fall into similar situation. 

1 hour ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Full disclosure this went down in the league that my wife is in so I am not directly involved but wanted to see if there is another side than what she/I am feeling.

Wife had her draft Tuesday Night, it was an in person draft and some 2 of the girls couldn't make it so they "auto-drafted" for them, basically took whoever was highest on ESPN top 300 list.  Draft ends and I am looking over her team and league with her Wednesday morning and see the Conner went undrafted (also when news broke about Le Veon not showing)  All undrafted players are on waivers till Thursday night, so I tell her to submit a waiver claim for him which would have processed last night.  She was 5th on waivers so probably wouldn't have gotten him but still worth a shot.

She checked her team this morning and one of the girls (her opponent this week coincidently)  that had auto drafted had reached out to the LM on Wednesday afternoon because she wanted to make some add/drops (she had auto drafted  Wentz and no other QB so she needed to pick up a backup for this week to start) She ended up having the LM pick up Conner, a QB and a WR.

I told wife to make a fuss cuz she should have had to wait for waivers to process like everyone else but she's new to the league and didn't want to make waves.  As I see it, she could have benched Wentz and picked up someone today, its blatantly obvious that it was a very unfair advantage but I wanted to see if anyone had a different perspective or have run into this type of situation before.

Just because you autodraft, it doesn't give you the right to bypass the waiver process.  Your league commissioner should resign and that is totally unacceptable.

Yes, that team would just bench Wentz and would start somebody else.  I'm guessing the team didn't pick up Foles or Ryan and start them last night?  So what was the rush for processing prior to waivers?

It's that manager's fault for autodrafting.  You have to then improve your team through trades or waivers.

• Like 3

That's ridiculous. That commish is not worthy of having the privilege, and that is absolutely worth making waves about. Making moves before waivers go through is completely wrong. 

• Like 2

If that league is full of women, bringing it up will not end well. I agree with the posters above (COMPLETELY), but I'll play devil's advocate.

She wasn't there, everyone had the opportunity to draft whomever they wanted, so if the people are out there available then what's the harm in giving her who she wants? She would have drafted them anyway if she was there and nobody else obviously wanted them.

^ This is not a valid argument, but it's what the response will be. Ask yourself for a moment, if Conner wasn't involved would you give a crap? If not, then maybe say "We are fine with those other people being added" (even if you're not) "but based on news after the draft we submitted  waiver that should be respected".

The issue is, drawing this much attention will basically guarantee you don't have the highest waiver for him. But at least it will make sure that shady manager doesn't benefit from working the league manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

The league manager is clueless and should have known that was not how things are processed. 

31 minutes ago, kball09 said:

If that league is full of women, bringing it up will not end well. I agree with the posters above (COMPLETELY), but I'll play devil's advocate.

She wasn't there, everyone had the opportunity to draft whomever they wanted, so if the people are out there available then what's the harm in giving her who she wants? She would have drafted them anyway if she was there and nobody else obviously wanted them.

^ This is not a valid argument, but it's what the response will be. Ask yourself for a moment, if Conner wasn't involved would you give a crap? If not, then maybe say "We are fine with those other people being added" (even if you're not) "but based on news after the draft we submitted  waiver that should be respected".

The issue is, drawing this much attention will basically guarantee you don't have the highest waiver for him. But at least it will make sure that shady manager doesn't benefit from working the league manager.

I can understand your reasoning. But as it is, the wife doesn’t currently have Conner anyway, so what’s the harm of going through the normal waiver process and at least get one person to burn a waiver priority?

Autidrafting doesn’t give that manager the right to make this request. She missed the draft. She can’t ask for a redo. End of story. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kball09 said:

If that league is full of women, bringing it up will not end well.

Lol, that's basically what I was thinking.  Being new to the league she is going to let it slide, I personally wouldn't but it is what it is. 

I appreciate the different perspective, I can at least understand that reasoning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Lol, that's basically what I was thinking.  Being new to the league she is going to let it slide, I personally wouldn't but it is what it is. 

I appreciate the different perspective, I can at least understand that reasoning. 

rules are rules tell her don’t let it go. If people auto draft that’s on them. You knew  the draft date was coming plenty of time to plan on being there.

I think everyone agrees the wrong decision was made. There's no strong argument against it, but if y'all expect a woman outside of a group to come in and vent over this and possibly be labeled the "difficult" one or piss off anyone whatsoever, then you're underestimating where women's priorities lie ;)

I think any one of us would fight tooth and nail to get that bs reversed. I know I would.

Curious, how much if any money involved?

20 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Curious, how much if any money involved?

40$ per player, 12 teams.  Don't know how they do payouts

40$ per player, 12 teams.  Don't know how they do payouts

Yeahhh.....tough one. I don't think you (she) ends up with Conner either way, so may not be worth the potential drama. Depends on the ladies

For the ladies league that gave out Conner to the auto-draft team, I would run away as fast as I could.  I could never tolerate a league that bent the rules for cronies and engaged in other shenanigans.  And, since this is the wife's first year, she does not have much invested.

But I am not most people.  If the wife likes the other people in the league and is just doing it mostly for fun and social purposes, she could make the decision to let this problem slide.  I suspect this is just the first of many questionable things that will happen.  If she is able to just laugh it off and participate with a light-heartedness that I could never muster, then staying in the league and shrugging it off might be her best bet.

Side note:  I know of a husband and wife who play against each other in a fantasy league.  Husband drafted Bell, but wife figured out Conner was a free agent.  Wife advised husband to pick up Conner, but he declined.  So then wife scooped him up.  I asked her why she gave her husband first crack?  She said because he was nice to her when she was sick and brought her some water.  True love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

For the ladies league that gave out Conner to the auto-draft team, I would run away as fast as I could.  I could never tolerate a league that bent the rules for cronies and engaged in other shenanigans.  And, since this is the wife's first year, she does not have much invested.

But I am not most people.  If the wife likes the other people in the league and is just doing it mostly for fun and social purposes, she could make the decision to let this problem slide.  I suspect this is just the first of many questionable things that will happen.  If she is able to just laugh it off and participate with a light-heartedness that I could never muster, then staying in the league and shrugging it off might be her best bet.

Side note:  I know of a husband and wife who play against each other in a fantasy league.  Husband drafted Bell, but wife figured out Conner was a free agent.  Wife advised husband to pick up Conner, but he declined.  So then wife scooped him up.  I asked her why she gave her husband first crack?  She said because he was nice to her when she was sick and brought her some water.  True love.

I think if nobody else has said anything, it's a sign of a bad league.  But I would agree, if she's just there for fun and games and she's not really all that serious about fantasy football, then who cares.  If this had happened in my league, the message board would be blowing up, friendships would be strained, etc.

I would hope the husband gives her more than just water. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CooL said:

I would hope the husband gives her more than just water. 

I know, right?  Just water.  That part floored me.  I guess we should never underestimate the power of small kindnesses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

It's a league with a bunch of chicks in it autodrafting. Obviously it's weak, it seems to be unanimous, but it's probably a weak league. 

It sounds like a league where people will be having empty lineups come week 4.

I've always been a proponent of choose your battles. You're (your wife) probably gonna have a good battle coming sooner than later, so probably just wanna save up for that when it comes closer to playoff time. 

Annnnnnd she lost 153.3 to 149.5 with 35.2 points coming from Conner. 

Chalk it up to a FF learning lesson, told her she shoulda made a fuss!

• Haha 1

Hey guys, so I finally was able to convert my league to FAAB over the offseason, but had some questions about waiver processing that I was hoping someone might could help me with. 

So we're on ESPN, non-continuous waivers, with the Waiver Length set to 1 day. At what time can the last bid be placed / what time are all the bids processed?

And also, with the waivers set at 1 day, does that technically mean that bids could have been placed last night? Or does it work like the standard waivers and Tuesday morning is counted as the start of the first waiver period?

Not sure I fully understand what you are saying.

Let's take my league as an example. We are on ESPN, FAAB non-continuous like you.

Once this week's games were played, all unrostered players went on Waivers for a Thursday morning deadline. For example, Darren Sproles was unrostered, so as soon as Thursday night's game kicked off, he was listed on waivers as WA(Thu). The second he was listed on waivers, people could bid on him, and as far as I know they can bid all the way until the bids process. The bids usually process at 0432 Eastern Time on the day in question. The only thing I'm not sure of is exactly when you can place bids until, as most people with a brain will simply place bids at a reasonable hour :D. Let's say 0400 Thursday morning (I'm pretty sure you get a message if you try to place a bid once it's actually processing), although there's probably somebody out there who knows. There's no advantage to placing a bid either early in the process or late in the process, the key is how much you bid.

Our waivers are set at two days, but all that means is that if a player is dropped, say today, they will be on waivers for two days. So for example, somebody dropped the Redskins D/ST today at 0839. They immediately go onto waivers (unless they pick them back up, but that's another story) and are listed as WA(Sun) because that gives people two full days to bid. Those bids will process at 0432 Sunday morning. In your league, the Redskins would have been on waivers as WA(Sat), and bids would have processed 0432 on Saturday.

Edited by leffe186
  • Like 1

So long story short, in my fantasy football league, a rule was written in such a way that I and at least two other people interpreted it differently from the way the commissioner intended it to be read. I wrote an email to the commissioner explaining how we interpreted it, but he got very angry (extremely short temper) and told me that I do not speak for other people, so I should not presume to.

I did not specifically name the people who interpreted it differently, and I know they saw it my way because we all had discussions about it.

Given this set of facts, have I actually spoken on anyone's behalf?

On 9/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, josheggers said:

My two leagues I am running this year start 1QB 2RB 3WR and 2FLEX with no kicker or defense. New format for this year but so far I love it and I do not think depth is an issue at all. The waiver pool is pretty dry but thats because more guys were drafted. I hate having to bench a bunch of serviceable guys due to low starting spots. This makes it more fun and should separate teams from each other. I joined another league a few days ago and convinced the commish(my buddy) to add an additional FLEX spot and within hours someone in the group chat(never met them) starting complaining about it but we'll see how it turns out. 

Are you saying that he added a FLEX spot after your fantasy draft? 

2 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Are you saying that he added a FLEX spot after your fantasy draft? 

No, well before the draft.

4 hours ago, the lone star said:

So long story short, in my fantasy football league, a rule was written in such a way that I and at least two other people interpreted it differently from the way the commissioner intended it to be read. I wrote an email to the commissioner explaining how we interpreted it, but he got very angry (extremely short temper) and told me that I do not speak for other people, so I should not presume to.

I did not specifically name the people who interpreted it differently, and I know they saw it my way because we all had discussions about it.

Given this set of facts, have I actually spoken on anyone's behalf?

It would be more helpful if you told us the exact language of this rule so we can tell you whether or not your interpretation was reasonable.  That's what this is really about.  If a rule was poorly drafted - i.e. subject to multiple reasonable interpretations - then there should be change to the rule and equitable relief to those who were harmed.  

As to your question, you seem to have purposefully spoken on others' behalves.  But it seems like others shared your opinions (based on what you're telling us).  

You should inform your (moronic) commissioner that whether you speak for another or not is a red herring.  Either there are ambiguities in the language or not.  

All the more reasons why you should share the rule with us.  

On 9/10/2018 at 1:53 PM, Flynfiesta6 said:

Annnnnnd she lost 153.3 to 149.5 with 35.2 points coming from Conner. 

Chalk it up to a FF learning lesson, told her she shoulda made a fuss!

Keep in mind that we are on a fantasy football forum.  This is not a representative sample of the average fantasy player.  

To the average person, this is a children's game and a way to have some light fun.  As such, I hope folks here have the self-awareness to realize that contesting these things - even if justified - can across as extremely petty.    

Really, this whole thing is entirely dependent on who is in your wife's league, whether she cares what they think about her, and what they're like.  

I will echo what some other folks said:  pick your battles.  This seems like a joke league for fun.  It's probably not worth complaining about.  

There is also a distinction between incompetence and willful cheating.  This seems more a case of the former:  people unfamiliar and not serious about fantasy not really understanding what is taboo amongst more experienced players.  That also militates against causing a stink.