Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

30 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Someone had a good idea of paying half of next years up front. Apologies to the gent I can't remember.

I don't get it, though. Say the yearly fee is $100. I pay my $100, then I pay half of next year. So I pay $150 total. Then next year, I only pay $50 (the other half), and half of the next year, so $50, for a total of $100. Basically, you only pay extra the first year, and then you're just paying the same amount every other year, right? The longer you're in, the less that will matter.

4 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

IMHO trades should effectively be final. Now, if 4 weeks later, something on either team has changed [injuries, other trades, etc] where there is justification that trading the players back to each other makes sense, that should be evaluated--and scrutinized--by the league commish to make sure it's not a double rental. It's not a hard and fast rule. But double rentals IMHO fall under the taboo trade activity. 

You're making some sense. The things I'm looking at are the cracks between 'collusion' and 'weeeelllll...okay' :) 

I mean, even here, you're saying "trades should be final...unless..." :) So then we'd have to go look at the unlesses. And you play long enough, there will be borderline cases. It's not entirely academic, as borderline cases in everything do come up. I just think it's interesting to try to distinguish between a trade with helps both teams and is okay and a trade which helps both teams and is not okay. I don't think it's easy to define what adds the 'not' in there.

17 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

I don't get it, though. Say the yearly fee is $100. I pay my $100, then I pay half of next year. So I pay $150 total. Then next year, I only pay $50 (the other half), and half of the next year, so $50, for a total of $100. Basically, you only pay extra the first year, and then you're just paying the same amount every other year, right? The longer you're in, the less that will matter.

If you keep the same people you should figure out the first year or 2 who the problems are

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

If you keep the same people you should figure out the first year or 2 who the problems are

I totally agree. I'm just saying that the paying half the next year's fee thing won't be much motivation the longer you're in it.

Say we've been in the league for 6 years. The first year I paid extra, but for every year after that, I am really only paying the actual yearly total. Even if part of that technically is for next year--it's still just the listed league fee total. So if I was the sort of dude to contemplate doing anything crappy, I don't think that would be much of a motivation. Yeah, I know $50 of my $100 this year is for next year...but I pay $100 every year. After that 1st year, there's no effective different in fees. That's my only point.

• Like 1

Why complicate things? If you trade next year’s draft pick, then you have to pay the entire next year’s entry fee now. Not half. Done. If you choose to leave, then the next guy who inherits your crappy team does so for no cost. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CooL said:

Why complicate things? If you trade next year’s draft pick, then you have to pay the entire next year’s entry fee now. Not half. Done. If you choose to leave, then the next guy who inherits your crappy team does so for no cost. 

That's a little better, as it won't stop being a disincentive right away. But I think it still falls prey to the same thing. Say in year five, I trade for a pick next year. So I pay Year 6's fee. Year 6 starts, I'm paid up, I pay nothing. Then I trade for a pick, so I pay Year 7. Year 7 starts, I pay nothing. Then I trade for a pick, and I pay Year 8. Pretty soon, I'm back to paying the yearly fee every year if I keep trading picks. Another 5 years go by, and it's been 5 years of just paying the yearly fee like everyone else--at least that's the perception, right? That one year I paid double was so long ago. Little motivation to not bail now (if I'm that kind of dude).

I'd think it would be better to just charge a fee. Entirely separate from league dues, you charge a hefty fee for pick trades. Put that money in a pot for a special prize, or just adding to the prize levels, either this year or next. In fact, make it next year. If it's a $100 buy in, and a draft pick trade costs me $50, I won't do it lightly. I'll still be paying $100 next year win or lose this year.

1 hour ago, Brotherbock said:

That's a little better, as it won't stop being a disincentive right away. But I think it still falls prey to the same thing. Say in year five, I trade for a pick next year. So I pay Year 6's fee. Year 6 starts, I'm paid up, I pay nothing. Then I trade for a pick, so I pay Year 7. Year 7 starts, I pay nothing. Then I trade for a pick, and I pay Year 8. Pretty soon, I'm back to paying the yearly fee every year if I keep trading picks. Another 5 years go by, and it's been 5 years of just paying the yearly fee like everyone else--at least that's the perception, right? That one year I paid double was so long ago. Little motivation to not bail now (if I'm that kind of dude).

I'd think it would be better to just charge a fee. Entirely separate from league dues, you charge a hefty fee for pick trades. Put that money in a pot for a special prize, or just adding to the prize levels, either this year or next. In fact, make it next year. If it's a $100 buy in, and a draft pick trade costs me $50, I won't do it lightly. I'll still be paying $100 next year win or lose this year.

You’re missing the point. If you pay next year’s fee now, say $100, then you don’t pay a fee when you show up for your draft next year. But if you screw the league over and leave? You’re out a $100. 

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

You’re missing the point. If you pay next year’s fee now, say $100, then you don’t pay a fee when you show up for your draft next year. But if you screw the league over and leave? You’re out a $100. 

And you're missing the point I'm making, which is that your paying that extra money now becomes less and less an incentive over time.

Look, I'm in one league that has been running since 2001. So here's the hypothetical scenario, if we had this rule in place.

2001: I pay my $100. Then I trade a draft pick. So I pay another $100. Total: $200

2002: I pay nothing up front (already paid last year). Then I trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2003: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2004: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2005: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2006: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2007: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2008: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2009: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2010: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2011: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

2012: I pay nothing up front. Trade another pick, pay $100. Total: $100

And etc. Buy the time 2018 rolls around, if I feel like monkeying around, that 'extra money' I paid is waaaaaay back in 2001. Every year since, I've paid the same amount everyone else has. It's not going to feel to me like I've 'paid extra' in 2018. It is simply not going to motivate most people to not do something underhanded. 

Edited by Brotherbock

15 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Someone had a good idea of paying half of next years up front. Apologies to the gent I can't remember.

Not sure if it was me, but that is what we do. No issues. 

1 hour ago, Brotherbock said:

And you're missing the point I'm making, which is that your paying that extra money now becomes less and less an incentive over time.

Look, I'm in one league that has been running since 2001. So here's the hypothetical scenario, if we had this rule in place.

[11 years of paying $100]

And etc. Buy the time 2018 rolls around, if I feel like monkeying around, that 'extra money' I paid is waaaaaay back in 2001. Every year since, I've paid the same amount everyone else has. It's not going to feel to me like I've 'paid extra' in 2018. It is simply not going to motivate most people to not do something underhanded. 

It might not feel different but once you trade that pick in week 9, pay $100, AND then don’t get to play next year because you decide to leave, then that’s what will be different. Your bank account knows that you paid $100 in November but then you don’t get a chance next year. Math is math. You’re down $100 if you decide to leave. Not going to belabor the point though, to each their own.

Just now, CooL said:

It might not feel different but once you trade that pick in week 9, pay $100, AND then don’t get to play next year because you decide to leave, then that’s what will be different. Your bank account knows that you paid $100 in November but then you don’t get a chance next year. Math is math. You’re down $100 if you decide to leave. Not going to belabor the point though, to each their own.

Math is math, but math isn't what will motivate you to play again or not--your emotions will do that. You have a fair point that the money coming out in November may be different than the money coming out in August. But after enough time, I really don't think it will for most people. For the guy who's been doing it that way for 18 years, one more November of paying $100 isn't going to be any different. In a sense, that initial extra $100 has now been spread out over all those years. That's another way to look at it--at least another way that it will be common for people to look at it.

We value more the things we have than the things we don't have. Once I've paid that money, it becomes less valuable to me. (Lots of interesting research into that phenomenon). My having paid some money years ago just isn't going to be a big motivator. 

OTOH, if the league charges $100, and I pay $125 or $150 every year because I want to trade draft picks. Now that will make me treat it very differently. Other folks are getting by spending $100, I'm seeing more money come out every year to do it. You set the additional amount depending on how much you want to encourage or discourage.

3 hours ago, Brotherbock said:

OTOH, if the league charges $100, and I pay $125 or $150 every year because I want to trade draft picks. Now that will make me treat it very differently. Other folks are getting by spending $100, I'm seeing more money come out every year to do it. You set the additional amount depending on how much you want to encourage or discourage.

Yes, and one caveat. Any money paid into this "bonus" pot for 2018 can't go to the 2018 winner. I.e. it has to go into some sort of other pool (say you have prizes for things other than merely finishing top 3), or it has to go to the 2019 pot.

When you trade away draft picks, you're sacrificing 2019 for 2018. So you want to make it clear that any money then goes to the 2019 winner, so people don't sacrifice 2018 money just to win it back with the players they acquired in trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bwarbiany said:

Yes, and one caveat. Any money paid into this "bonus" pot for 2018 can't go to the 2018 winner. I.e. it has to go into some sort of other pool (say you have prizes for things other than merely finishing top 3), or it has to go to the 2019 pot.

When you trade away draft picks, you're sacrificing 2019 for 2018. So you want to make it clear that any money then goes to the 2019 winner, so people don't sacrifice 2018 money just to win it back with the players they acquired in trade. 

I like it. 

And you could set it at one one-time fee--you want to do any pick trades, you pay the fee once and do as many as you can. Or it could be a per-trade fee. Would depend on what you set the fee at, if you were trying to encourage/discourage, etc. Both could work.

I mean...to me it makes no sense at all to trade picks in a standard league anyway. I just like to problem solve :D 

On 11/15/2018 at 3:33 PM, Brotherbock said:

I like it. 

And you could set it at one one-time fee--you want to do any pick trades, you pay the fee once and do as many as you can. Or it could be a per-trade fee. Would depend on what you set the fee at, if you were trying to encourage/discourage, etc. Both could work.

I mean...to me it makes no sense at all to trade picks in a standard league anyway. I just like to problem solve :D 

Cool Story Bro!

Hey guys, not sure if this is where this would go.

I am not the commish, but my redraft league has recently had issues with guys not setting their lineups once they feel like they have been eliminated which obviously leads to issues in what is fair and what is not fair/was there collusion when xxx played yyy and xxx had 4 guys on bye that week, etc.

The people in this league are knowledgeable and lifelong friends, so leaving is something I would really rather not do.

I reached out to the commissioner, and asked if he could lock the teams for people who stop setting lineups and set based on projections so there are no issues about him "picking the lineup himself." He says no because it was not discussed before the year so it would not be fair to implement it now. We had one guy now go from 3-4 to 6-4 and up to 3rd place in our league, but he has played teams with injury/bye guys each of the last 3 weeks (hence my frustration).

Would possibly trying to shift the league to a dynasty with penalties for bye/injured guys starting help? We all keep up with NFL and college, so that would not be an issue. The guys can just be sore losers when they are not winning which has caused a few  small issues in the past, but never anything this prevalent.

Any advice is appreciated and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread, just figured commissioners opinions could help here!

25 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Hey guys, not sure if this is where this would go.

I am not the commish, but my redraft league has recently had issues with guys not setting their lineups once they feel like they have been eliminated which obviously leads to issues in what is fair and what is not fair/was there collusion when xxx played yyy and xxx had 4 guys on bye that week, etc.

The people in this league are knowledgeable and lifelong friends, so leaving is something I would really rather not do.

I reached out to the commissioner, and asked if he could lock the teams for people who stop setting lineups and set based on projections so there are no issues about him "picking the lineup himself." He says no because it was not discussed before the year so it would not be fair to implement it now. We had one guy now go from 3-4 to 6-4 and up to 3rd place in our league, but he has played teams with injury/bye guys each of the last 3 weeks (hence my frustration).

Would possibly trying to shift the league to a dynasty with penalties for bye/injured guys starting help? We all keep up with NFL and college, so that would not be an issue. The guys can just be sore losers when they are not winning which has caused a few  small issues in the past, but never anything this prevalent.

Any advice is appreciated and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread, just figured commissioners opinions could help here!

If it's already gone on for 3 weeks, I'd have to say the damage is done this year and it sucks but so be it. Freebie wins have been given out but pretty much everyone else beat them as well if they've given up.

A commish set line up rule sounds fair if they're willing to do it but I'd imagine it would quickly become a pain in the a** to check 1-4 teams etc each week once bye weeks start.

1 minute ago, Coachacola37 said:

If it's already gone on for 3 weeks, I'd have to say the damage is done this year and it sucks but so be it. Freebie wins have been given out but pretty much everyone else beat them as well if they've given up.

A commish set line up rule sounds fair if they're willing to do it but I'd imagine it would quickly become a pain in the a** to check 1-4 teams etc each week once bye weeks start.

Well, that is right to a degree, but bye weeks pass and other people will face them at "full strength" again which is why it is frustrating. If it was a guaranteed win for everyone then it would not matter as much necessarily.

NFL.com has an optimize lineup option which puts the highest projected guys in. It would take like 3 minutes to do it on Sunday morning.

23 minutes ago, Coachacola37 said:

19 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Well, that is right to a degree, but bye weeks pass and other people will face them at "full strength" again which is why it is frustrating. If it was a guaranteed win for everyone then it would not matter as much necessarily.

NFL.com has an optimize lineup option which puts the highest projected guys in. It would take like 3 minutes to do it on Sunday morning.

It's not that hard to check a few lineups, I do it myself as commish for one or two guys who fall asleep sometimes.

The difficult part is when they don't have anyone on their bench to fill a spot. Only carrying one TE and he's on a bye, for example. I think it's overstepping for a commish to add/drop people for a bye week. So you'll very possibly end up still with empty roster spots even with a commish riding herd. But it's better than doing nothing. 

19 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Then the fix is to retroactively fix the last three and changing those results. Seems even more controversial then putting a rule for the next 2 weeks to me.

12 minutes ago, Coachacola37 said:

Then the fix is to retroactively fix the last three and changing those results. Seems even more controversial then putting a rule for the next 2 weeks to me.

13 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

It's not that hard to check a few lineups, I do it myself as commish for one or two guys who fall asleep sometimes.

The difficult part is when they don't have anyone on their bench to fill a spot. Only carrying one TE and he's on a bye, for example. I think it's overstepping for a commish to add/drop people for a bye week. So you'll very possibly end up still with empty roster spots even with a commish riding herd. But it's better than doing nothing. 

Ahh seems like a slippery slope that can lead to a lot of anger. I guess we will play this season out as is and set some rules next year.

Any opinion from you two about switching to a dynasty? I know a few guys I have spoken to about it love the idea, but the sore loser part in some of the others worries me that they'll give up if they draft a poor team because "now I'll suck forever"

7 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Ahh seems like a slippery slope that can lead to a lot of anger. I guess we will play this season out as is and set some rules next year.

Any opinion from you two about switching to a dynasty? I know a few guys I have spoken to about it love the idea, but the sore loser part in some of the others worries me that they'll give up if they draft a poor team because "now I'll suck forever"

Yeah, you just do your best to set lineups when you can. Sometimes you won't be able to, but you do it when you can to try to keep things competitive. And going by the league's projections is the safest way, that way the commish doesn't have to worry about conflict of interest.

Dynasty is fun, and I think it actually prevents people from checking out in a way. Their team this year might suck, but they can use that to try to set themselves up for next year. Suddenly those promising rookies are more valuable, and a guy in the final week at the bottom of the league can add speculative talent (Courtland Sutton, e.g.) and hope for next year. Also trading draft picks. There's a lot that can be done to turn a bad team around in a single season--if they know that, they can still do stuff this season.

Anyone knOw what’s going on with yahoo? I don’t imagine it’s just me, in both of my leagues the scoring results for week 11 are totally off. 

1 minute ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Anyone knOw what’s going on with yahoo? I don’t imagine it’s just me, in both of my leagues the scoring results for week 11 are totally off. 

Fantasy stats from last night's game aren't being factored in, something that's probably a technical error that will get fixed today.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

I just noticed that too. Hopefully someone over at Yahoo recognizes it. 

• Like 2