Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

15 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Everyone has a shot during regular waiver period. Everyone knows injuries or suspensions can come at any time. Everyone has a smartphone and can receive breaking news from ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. That’s how I heard about Hunt. I got the push notification, then I went in the fantasy app and added Ware. You snooze, you lose. 

I force my owners to make all adds/drops through me via USPS. Keeps things fair. 

'Cept for the dude in Alaska. But his team sucks anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

What are you guy's thoughts on this scenario?

A team that misses the playoffs then drops 4-5 bench players just to pick up 4-5 TEs on waivers, or 4-5 DSTs off waivers, lowering the options for teams who are still playing for something to use the waiver wire

I think it's an immature move and their rosters should be locked once their teams don't have any games left to play. It's different if their are playing spoilers late in a season, but if their season is over so should be there moves. 

5 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

I think it's an immature move and their rosters should be locked once their teams don't have any games left to play. It's different if their are playing spoilers late in a season, but if their season is over so should be there moves. 

Except when a league has a consolation bracket. So you can't really lock out teams. I do think league commissioner should intervene in those cases though if that's an option.

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Except when a league has a consolation bracket. So you can't really lock out teams. I do think league commissioner should intervene in those cases though if that's an option.

Correct. I didn't think about that. 

1 hour ago, Hero202 said:

What are you guy's thoughts on this scenario?

A team that misses the playoffs then drops 4-5 bench players just to pick up 4-5 TEs on waivers, or 4-5 DSTs off waivers, lowering the options for teams who are still playing for something to use the waiver wire

Unless they are still playing for something like some of the things listed below I wouldn't allow it and would drop all players back to waivers and lock his team.  But if a category below still is in play then you have to let it be.

• Consolation bracket winner gets $ or maybe improved odds at next years draft
  • Keeper/Dynasty league
  • Sacko bracket (loser of the league has a punishment)

On 12/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, Brotherbock said:

Well, given that this is the first time in the absolute total history of the NFL that a player has very suddenly been replaced by another player late in the week, he has a point. I mean, never ever at any time has any player who we thought would play suddenly gone to not playing and been replaced by someone else. It's totally unprecedented. I'm not even sure it's legal, tbh. I think NFL rules might say that the Chiefs just have to go without a running back for the rest of the year. It's not fair to the other teams that they just get to start some other guy against their teams. 

At some point, you'd think that the fantasy community would have to come together to create rules for this just in case it happens again

Seriously guys. What should we do if--and this is a big if--it ever happens again that a backup suddenly becomes the starter mid-week? Is there any league out there that actually has rules for this?! Possible options: the biggest whiner gets the backup. Or the owner who's name is alphabetically closest to the backup's name gets the backup. Or the owner who lives closest to that NFL team's headquarters gets the backup. The owner with the lowest bad cholesterol? 

Oh, wait, hold on. No, that other owner is just a crybaby. I actually think that's it :) 

You're good, dude. Direct that guy to this thread and we'll set him straight.

That’s basically what I told him.  Now he’s asking for another instance of this “special circumstance”

Keep in mind Conner wasn’t drafted and was picked up as a free agent in our league a couple days before the season started and no one had a problem. 

Can anyone think of other instances when this happened? Obviously it’s not unprecedented but it is rare.

23 minutes ago, DemonFF said:

That’s basically what I told him.  Now he’s asking for another instance of this “special circumstance”

Keep in mind Conner wasn’t drafted and was picked up as a free agent in our league a couple days before the season started and no one had a problem. 

Can anyone think of other instances when this happened? Obviously it’s not unprecedented but it is rare.

I added Joe Webb off of FA list once I heard that Farve wasn't going to play.  Pretty sure it was midweek.  I think he scored 14 points standard in my WR slot as a QB in the finals, week 17.

If you play week 17...this is a very common thing.  Tons of starters rest and or deemed out from Wednesday to Sunday.  These scab guys over the years come in for 1 week and have been real difference makers.  I know, I know...week 17.  But this happens every year and isn't rare at all in week 17.

1 hour ago, DemonFF said:

Courtland Sutton...today  ZING.

Yeah I just saw that and mentioned it. I have sanders too :(.

appaerntly a surprise suspension mid week is different then a surprise injury. Lol you can’t win with some people.

8 minutes ago, DemonFF said:

Yeah I just saw that and mentioned it. I have sanders too :(.

appaerntly a surprise suspension mid week is different then a surprise injury. Lol you can’t win with some people.

Sorry man...that's tough to have to rationalize that.  It's a midweek occurrence that drastically changes the value of a player.   Who knows how much...Ware didn't set the world on fire last week and now might be on a committee with Charknado.  Courtland could fold or flourish under the #1 WR opportunity.  

Where would he fall if Emmanuel Sanders riding a moped and broke his ankle on a Wednesday?  (damn you, Monta Ellis.) Anyways, He's got no leg to stand on.  These are real people, who have real lives.  You can't account for it all, you can just be prepared for it when things happen.  Even if it's on a Thursday morning.

It happens in 2 QB leagues frequently, once the starter is ruled out the backup has value no matter how crappy.  Lamar Jackson went from nothing to a border line top 10 QB once Flacco was ruled out.  Sometimes this happens during the week, other times in Sunday morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DemonFF said:

Also, come to think about it....any midweek trade.  Hello Chub.  

6 hours ago, Brotherbock said:

I force my owners to make all adds/drops through me via USPS. Keeps things fair. 

'Cept for the dude in Alaska. But his team sucks anyway.

In my work league, (that I don't play in) they have to tell the commish who they are trying to pick up instead of doing it via the website. Really weird

On 12/1/2018 at 12:52 PM, DemonFF said:

Wow I pick up Ware as soon as the vid comes out. Now some clown in my league is crying that he should be on waivers since it’s not “fair” that i picked him up first. 

Is is there any world in which someone in free agency should be placed back on waivers? Lol

I don't understand the problem...

free agent gets picked up. What's unfair?

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I don't understand the problem...

free agent gets picked up. What's unfair?

the fact that Ware blows. 

HTH

23 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

You're the first owner/league that I've heard uses bonuses!  I'm sure it has but there has to be some good stories of how that's determined a matchup/championship

Yeah...we came up with it in the early 90’s as a perk for winning the division. Stuck with it ever since. It has only come into play 1 time in my recent memory. Most week 15 matchups are complete blowouts. Either #1 and #2 seeded teams completely flop...or utterly dominate. Rarely have I seen a close one. Only once has the bonus flipped in favor of the loser. Lost by 3...actually won by 2. 

22 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

Agree with the week 17 thing. My issue is I don’t think 60% of the league should make the playoffs it’s just too many teams. For example I ended up at 5-8 but since I’m the 3 seed in my conference I  made the playoffs when I simply didn’t deserve to. Just wondering how I would go about an even/fair 10 man schedule that allowed 4 teams to make the playoffs instead of 6.

Yeah..the 5-8 and 6-7 teams really don’t deserve it. The top 5 and bottom 5 thing sounds cool week 14. Some sites allow you to integrate a BYE week for each team that’s randomized during the regular season. 14 weeks...13 games+BYE. Just a thought.

Playing spoiler?

Do you guys have a league rule regulating the acquisition of players by teams already out of the running?  Our league doesn't, but a situation has arisen.

There is a team that has been knocked out of contention for the championship.  This team still had the majority of their FAAB though, and last night placed the winning bid for Jaylen Samuels.  Seed #2 cried foul.  He said that the new Jaylen Samuels manager is petty and shouldn't be placing waiver claims.  (This is also a case of sour grapes, as #2 seed tried and failed to acquire Samuels).  However, there is no rule currently in place banning such a move.

Thoughts?  As commissioner, I'm perfectly fine with this situation.  Playing spoiler is a perfectly valid motivation to play this game, and the Jaylen Samuels team said they made the move partly to poke the #2 seed, the biggest loudmouth and smack talker in the league.  Plus, I am naturally wary of over legislating solutions, usually finding them unnecessary and knee jerk reactions.

• Like 2

Just now, Johnny Rico said:

Playing spoiler?

Do you guys have a league rule regulating the acquisition of players by teams already out of the running?  Our league doesn't, but a situation has arisen.

There is a team that has been knocked out of contention for the championship.  This team still had the majority of their FAAB though, and last night placed the winning bid for Jaylen Samuels.  Seed #2 cried foul.  He said that the new Jaylen Samuels manager is petty and shouldn't be placing waiver claims.  (This is also a case of sour grapes, as #2 seed tried and failed to acquire Samuels).  However, there is no rule currently in place banning such a move.

Thoughts?  As commissioner, I'm perfectly fine with this situation.  Playing spoiler is a perfectly valid motivation to play this game, and the Jaylen Samuels team said they made the move partly to poke the #2 seed, the biggest loudmouth and smack talker in the league.  Plus, I am naturally wary of over legislating solutions, usually finding them unnecessary and knee jerk reactions.

If there are consolation brackets--i.e. if the non-championship teams still have something to play for--then you let them add/drop/trade like normal. You resolve normal 'roster dumping' and stuff like that with the standard 'kick em in the balz' methods of the regular season.

But if the folks eliminated are not playing any more games/matchups, and it's not a keeper league, you of course lock their teams to prevent just this kind of crap.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

Playing spoiler?

if a guy is still playing to win even though hes out of contention then so be it. maybe he just likes to give his best every week to try and win. and if theres no rule against him doing it then theres nothing wrong with . the #2 seed should just budget his money better next time

Question for the commissioners in here:  I'm in a league without a trade deadline, no idea why, just always been that way.  Trades are few and far between.  Just had a trade between two playoff teams.  Team A (that is desperate for TE and strong at RB) traded Ware to Team B (desperate for RB and strong at TE) for J. Cook.  I think the trade is fair (no deadline) but think some in the league will have issues... what you think?  This will probably bring more attention to the lack of a deadline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColoWrex said:

Question for the commissioners in here:  I'm in a league without a trade deadline, no idea why, just always been that way.  Trades are few and far between.  Just had a trade between two playoff teams.  Team A (that is desperate for TE and strong at RB) traded Ware to Team B (desperate for RB and strong at TE) for J. Cook.  I think the trade is fair (no deadline) but think some in the league will have issues... what you think?  This will probably bring more attention to the lack of a deadline.

No problem there. Likely RB2 on a strong team for a likely TE1 on a horrible team. Ware's better floor for Cook's maybe higher ceiling? Easy call there--no worries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

trade is fair. but like you said the lack of a trade deadline is the bigger issue

Edited by nygiantsfan913
spelling
  • Like 2

So how shady is this? This is my first year playing fantasy football but a group of coworkers did it last year and asked me to join this year. $25 buy in, losers every week pay in $5. 14 teams total, anyways after week one the commissioner made a trade offer to a new guy that no one thought was fair and when he found out it was being vetoed he turned that off so all accepted trades went right through. Couple weeks later after a trade went through right before a game he changed it to a 24 hour review by the commissioner. Around week six he surprised everyone by adding a DB spot, week after a LB, followed by a DL, and a random second DB around Halloween. Most of the time hed say when he was adding it and it was a free for all, but he want always exact on his times. Next after a must win game for him he had Brady on his bench who he didnt need (only 2 bench spots) and had a WR out, well Brady was undropable so he turned that off to drop him... Ive also discovered on out app (we use the NFL Fantasy app) that he has "changed scoring settings" a couple times this year. Is there anyway to see what was changed? Someone now lost a game week one because of it they used to be up by 2 points now down 2. He still made playoffs but dropped from 3 seed to 6.. a lot of us are pissed.. thanks for listening to my rank. I think we will start our own league next year

35 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

Playing spoiler?

I have no problem when an owner is playing spoiler if you have no rules in place. 

Tell the loudmouth that you cannot do anything this year, but you will put it up to vote for next year. 

26 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Let the trade pass... then make a league decision about trade deadline 

• Like 1