Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

55 minutes ago, Johnny Rico said:

Playing spoiler?

Do you guys have a league rule regulating the acquisition of players by teams already out of the running?  Our league doesn't, but a situation has arisen.

There is a team that has been knocked out of contention for the championship.  This team still had the majority of their FAAB though, and last night placed the winning bid for Jaylen Samuels.  Seed #2 cried foul.  He said that the new Jaylen Samuels manager is petty and shouldn't be placing waiver claims.  (This is also a case of sour grapes, as #2 seed tried and failed to acquire Samuels).  However, there is no rule currently in place banning such a move.

Thoughts?  As commissioner, I'm perfectly fine with this situation.  Playing spoiler is a perfectly valid motivation to play this game, and the Jaylen Samuels team said they made the move partly to poke the #2 seed, the biggest loudmouth and smack talker in the league.  Plus, I am naturally wary of over legislating solutions, usually finding them unnecessary and knee jerk reactions.

In redraft I lock all teams eliminated. 

In keeper I leave it open to all and chastise those that pick up handcuffs that have no keeper value (like this week with jaylen Samuels), but in a keeper you can't govern what people feel so you gotta let it ride. 

Redraft 100% lock Monday night. It's 100% petty. It's losers trying to screw over contenders that matter. 

Since you have no rule for it I'd let it ride, but it's something you should definitely enforce next season. You sound cool with it cause it didn't affect you, but it's petty... Tom Petty 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

12 minutes ago, DoomedRBs said:

So how shady is this? This is my first year playing fantasy football but a group of coworkers did it last year and asked me to join this year. $25 buy in, losers every week pay in $5. 14 teams total, anyways after week one the commissioner made a trade offer to a new guy that no one thought was fair and when he found out it was being vetoed he turned that off so all accepted trades went right through. Couple weeks later after a trade went through right before a game he changed it to a 24 hour review by the commissioner. Around week six he surprised everyone by adding a DB spot, week after a LB, followed by a DL, and a random second DB around Halloween. Most of the time hed say when he was adding it and it was a free for all, but he want always exact on his times. Next after a must win game for him he had Brady on his bench who he didnt need (only 2 bench spots) and had a WR out, well Brady was undropable so he turned that off to drop him... Ive also discovered on out app (we use the NFL Fantasy app) that he has "changed scoring settings" a couple times this year. Is there anyway to see what was changed? Someone now lost a game week one because of it they used to be up by 2 points now down 2. He still made playoffs but dropped from 3 seed to 6.. a lot of us are pissed.. thanks for listening to my rank. I think we will start our own league next year

I can't believe you and the other owners have played the whole season with this corrupt, unethical, d-bag commish. Wow. To answer your question, it's beyond shady and I would have quit the league a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, DoomedRBs said:

So how shady is this? This is my first year playing fantasy football but a group of coworkers did it last year and asked me to join this year. $25 buy in, losers every week pay in $5. 14 teams total, anyways after week one the commissioner made a trade offer to a new guy that no one thought was fair and when he found out it was being vetoed he turned that off so all accepted trades went right through. Couple weeks later after a trade went through right before a game he changed it to a 24 hour review by the commissioner. Around week six he surprised everyone by adding a DB spot, week after a LB, followed by a DL, and a random second DB around Halloween. Most of the time hed say when he was adding it and it was a free for all, but he want always exact on his times. Next after a must win game for him he had Brady on his bench who he didnt need (only 2 bench spots) and had a WR out, well Brady was undropable so he turned that off to drop him... Ive also discovered on out app (we use the NFL Fantasy app) that he has "changed scoring settings" a couple times this year. Is there anyway to see what was changed? Someone now lost a game week one because of it they used to be up by 2 points now down 2. He still made playoffs but dropped from 3 seed to 6.. a lot of us are pissed.. thanks for listening to my rank. I think we will start our own league next year

I mean...there are some warning signs there, yeah. 

First step is to try something subtle and non-confrontational. Change your team name to "Our Commish Is A Lying D-Bag". Then see what happens. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, DoomedRBs said:

Yeah, I'd be out of this league now. A commissioner should never made changes once the season has started. Turning off the veto option, then making it a commish option, adding positions throughout the season, turning the drop limitation off, changing scoring settings...no way. This is a league of co-workers, not this guy's league to do with as whims sweep over him. If he's willing to do all this, then he's willing to make changes that ensure him a championship. I don't know what your work dynamics are, but I'd be leaning towards getting out sooner than later and letting EVERY league member know exactly why. This is bush-league douche-baggery. And if your co-workers don't understand, then show them the replies to your post. 

• Like 1

Alright need some unbiased opinions on this.

- In my league, in the event of a tie, the first tiebreaker is total bench points and in the unlikely event that those are tied, we decided to take it to a trial by combat of sorts and have a mini-competition to decide the winner (only happened once and we weren't sure how to proceed, but the guys in my league hate ties and that's what the majority wanted).

- My league also awards a small pot to the owner who scored the most points over the course of the season (probably fairly common). 

Well this season, myself (commish) and another owner tied with 1438 points scored over the season. The rest of the league is up in arms demanding that it be taken to a mini-competition to settle the winner, while myself and the guy I'm tied with thinks it's pretty obvious that based off of the way we handle other ties, the next course of action would be to total the bench points for the year. How would you guys handle this situation?

4 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

- In my league, in the event of a tie, the first tiebreaker is total bench points and in the unlikely event that those are tied, we decided to take it to a trial by combat of sorts and have a mini-competition to decide the winner (only happened once and we weren't sure how to proceed, but the guys in my league hate ties and that's what the majority wanted).

- My league also awards a small pot to the owner who scored the most points over the course of the season (probably fairly common). 

Well this season, myself (commish) and another owner tied with 1438 points scored over the season. The rest of the league is up in arms demanding that it be taken to a mini-competition to settle the winner, while myself and the guy I'm tied with thinks it's pretty obvious that based off of the way we handle other ties, the next course of action would be to total the bench points for the year. How would you guys handle this situation?

If you and the guy you are tied with agree, who cares what the other people think. It has nothing to do with them 

I'd just split the pot myself. Tallying up bench points will take forever.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

LOL....You have me interested in this "mini-competition". What is this "mini combat competition"?

Tie breaker rules:

Winning %

if still tied

Head to Head Record

if still tied

Division Record

if still tied

Point Against (Schedule Difficulty)

I would hate for it to come down to some mortal combat where I could catch a felony for fantasy football lol. Although Fight Club tiebreaker does make things interesting.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Are you in a league without decimal point scoring? If so, please switch to that next year :) 

As for the bench points for the year, does your league keep track of that? Or would you manually be adding that week by week to see whose total was highest? I've never heard of such a tiebreaker, but a trial by combat sounds spectacular. Do you get to pick the weapon and if so, the other owner gets to pick the location? If so, I recommend going with the pitchfork and hope for the best. 

Back to the tie option...I guess I could understand to a degree, using bench points as a tiebreaker for an individual week (although I think there are better options myself). But using it for a full season does not make sense to me. Do you guys have any language in your league constitution or rules to refer back to? 

• Thanks 1

Just split it this year and make a rule for next year. Also, like mentioned above, switch to decimal scoring. No sense in someone losing a life or getting seriously injured over a few bucks in FFB trial by combat when most scoring systems have decimal scoring as the standard already.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

LOL....You have me interested in this "mini-competition". What is this "mini combat competition"?

Tie breaker rules:

Winning %

if still tied

Head to Head Record

if still tied

Division Record

if still tied

Point Against (Schedule Difficulty)

I would hate for it to come down to some mortal combat where I could catch a felony for fantasy football lol. Although Fight Club tiebreaker does make things interesting.

Not a combat mini-game, we just call it that because of Game of Thrones lol. The last mini-game which is getting proposed again is an egg race where you balance it on a spoon in your mouth and have to race to different stations and perform tasks. It was made up on the fly because we didn't have a rule set in place for what happens when a tiebreaker ends in a tie, but in this case I feel like we have one and it's actually fantasy related. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Are you in a league without decimal point scoring? If so, please switch to that next year :) 

As for the bench points for the year, does your league keep track of that? Or would you manually be adding that week by week to see whose total was highest? I've never heard of such a tiebreaker, but a trial by combat sounds spectacular. Do you get to pick the weapon and if so, the other owner gets to pick the location? If so, I recommend going with the pitchfork and hope for the best. 

Back to the tie option...I guess I could understand to a degree, using bench points as a tiebreaker for an individual week (although I think there are better options myself). But using it for a full season does not make sense to me. Do you guys have any language in your league constitution or rules to refer back to? 

No decimals, another thing the rest of my league is strongly against (which really annoys me).

I would be tallying them up week by week. There's no rules set for this as we never thought of it happening, but the rules for the first tiebreaker being bench points has been a rule for a few years. 

23 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

No decimals, another thing the rest of my league is strongly against (which really annoys me).

I would be tallying them up week by week. There's no rules set for this as we never thought of it happening, but the rules for the first tiebreaker being bench points has been a rule for a few years. 

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons they are strongly against decimal point scoring? They do realize that a guy who gets 19 yards and a guy who gets 10 yards are both credited with the same 1 point (as an example) without decimal point scoring? 

Are you guys also tied for first place record-wise, with this determining who the top seed for the playoffs is? 

Edited by Corleone

8 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons they are strongly against decimal point scoring? They do realize that a guy who gets 19 yards and a guy who gets 10 yards are both credited with the same 1 point (as an example) without decimal point scoring? 

Agreed, that's just odd to be opposed to decimals. I've seen ties even with decimal scoring. But it's very rare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beerfish said:

You chop the pot.

As long as the 2 winners agree, nobody else gets a say on the matter.

This probably makes the most sense as far as the pot goes, since the trial by combat isn't as exciting as some of us were hoping for. 

As far as playoff seeding though, that still would need to be figured out (if it is a tie as far as records go...and if not, then no issues). 

Edited by Corleone
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Corleone said:

This probably makes the most sense as far as the pot goes, since the trial by combat isn't as exciting as some of us were hoping for. 

As far as playoff seeding though, that still would need to be figured out. 

Mix the two teams together, randomly picking the starters from each squad for a new Superteam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Are you guys also tied for first place record-wise, with this determining who the top seed for the playoffs is? 

They say real life games don't end in decimals so neither should fantasy. Idk... I've fought this battle with them for years and get shot down every time. 

The other guy has me beat by a game record wise. 

1 minute ago, afl5013 said:

They say real life games don't end in decimals so neither should fantasy. Idk... I've fought this battle with them for years and get shot down every time. 

The other guy has me beat by a game record wise. 

Gotcha as far as record. As far as their argument against decimals, that's truly idiotic. Using their "real life argument", if one person in a game goes 19 yards and the other goes 10 yards, and the object of the game is to see who goes further, it's not a tie...it's the person who went 19 yards! 

I couldn't bring myself to play in a league without decimal scoring (no matter how close friends I was, with the others in the league). I don't know how you are able to pull it off! Anyways, back to the point at hand, I think you two should just chop the pot as far as points go. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Gotcha as far as record. As far as their argument against decimals, that's truly idiotic. Using their "real life argument", if one person in a game goes 19 yards and the other goes 10 yards, and the object of the game is to see who goes further, it's not a tie...it's the person who went 19 yards! 

But, just devil's advocate (I agree, non-decimal is an offense to God)...if the object is to get a first down, and I go 9 yards and you go 6 yards...we both don't get a 1st down. :) 

20 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

But, just devil's advocate (I agree, non-decimal is an offense to God)...if the object is to get a first down, and I go 9 yards and you go 6 yards...we both don't get a 1st down. :) 

LOL, true sometimes. Not if there was a penalty that leaves you 8 yards from the first down. Either way though, even if you need 10 yards, getting the 9 leaves you that much closer to the end goal, so you should be rewarded for it. The non-decimal people don't even deserve a devil's advocate overall :) 

• Like 1

My opponent in the playoffs desperately needs a RB (Samuels in this case), I do not. I have more FAAB dollars than him. Is it fair for me to bid just more than he has to ensure I don't have to face that player when I play him, thus giving myself a better chance of winning?

3 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

My opponent in the playoffs desperately needs a RB (Samuels in this case), I do not. I have more FAAB dollars than him. Is it fair for me to bid just more than he has to ensure I don't have to face that player when I play him, thus giving myself a better chance of winning?

Yes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Of course. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Only not a good idea if your opponent is your spouse. Otherwise, it's not only fair, it's solid strategy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corleone said:

The non-decimal people don't even deserve a devil's advocate overall :) 

Agreed. These monsters deserve some sort of old school British primary school student torture. Shoving yardsticks up their noses or filling their pants with scalding hot tea.

• Haha 2