SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

I know this seems awfully early on May 5th, but I just saw this tweet from Jon Heyman.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I know this seems awfully early on May 5th, but I just saw this tweet from Jon Heyman.

I wish he would give some insight on teams who might have interest.  

My opinion - Atlanta should trade for Machado and take a run at the NL East.  If I'm the GM I offer to absorb Cobb's dumb contract from Baltimore to greatly reduce the prospect price.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

My opinion - Atlanta should trade for Machado and take a run at the NL East.  If I'm the GM I offer to absorb Cobb's dumb contract from Baltimore to greatly reduce the prospect price.

Cobb would probably excel for Atlanta too. Win win.

• Like 1

Yankees are going to trade for a SP with Fulmer, Hamels and Duffy all being distinct possibilities. 

11 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Braves have a surplus of arms and could probably do a deal without having to deal Gohara or Wright. Probably would have to deal someone like Soroka or Allard (if not both), but keeping Acuña, Albies, Gohara, and Wright while adding Machado would be crazy.

14 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Atlanta is similar to the old guy at the poker table who only plays JJ QQ KK AA and AK.  They are nit bags and won’t spend money 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Atlanta is similar to the old guy at the poker table who only plays JJ QQ KK AA and AK.  They are nit bags and won’t spend money 

I'd say they've done a pretty fine job on this rebuild.  And have a ton right around the corner.  Not sure a one year rental is really wise this year

• Like 2

Inside Baseball | Needs and targets for MLB’s contending teams

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 8:59 PM, 96mnc said:

Yep. My wish. I love every aspect of his game and I like the Braves. Not going to say I'm a die-hard, but a fan who wishes them well and pulls for them over most teams. Nats can get 100% healthy, I just don't see anyone in the NL beating those guys. The key is 100% healthy, which it seems is one tall task for those guys. 

Even Hellickson is playing great and the metrics seem to indicate it isn't a bunch of smoke-n-mirrors.

Edited by Z06vette
  • Like 1

Does anyone think the Mets will deal degrom. I think they have him through 2020. Unless it was an absurd haul, the Mets would be dumb to trade him. 

So...i fully expect the Mets to trade him and get fleeced in the process. 

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Does anyone think the Mets will deal degrom. I think they have him through 2020. Unless it was an absurd haul, the Mets would be dumb to trade him. 

So...i fully expect the Mets to trade him and get fleeced in the process. 

I completely disagree. They should absolutely trade him. They have arguably the worst farm system in baseball and a complete dearth of young talent. They're not going to compete while deGrom is under contract, so why not trade him now while his value is at its apex and get back an organization changing prospect haul in return? They don't need one pitcher or one position player, regardless of how good, they need a large scale influx of young talent if they want to be competitive in the next 5 years. 

Imagine for a second they don't trade him and he tears his UCL in August? It's a no-brainer for me. One caveat I have is that they need to fire (or neuter, at least) Alderson before moving deGrom. Can't have Alderson choosing the talent that comes back given his track record. 

• Like 2

Wonder if Fisher to the Padres would be enough for Houston to acquire Hand. Tucker callup in LF and an elite LHP would be a big shot in the arm for the Stroes. 

2 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Wonder if Fisher to the Padres would be enough for Houston to acquire Hand. Tucker callup in LF and an elite LHP would be a big shot in the arm for the Stroes. 

If the Padres were asking for Devers from the Red Sox I’m guessing Fisher won’t get it done. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Not close.... Fisher probably doesn't get you Yates.  Also, the Padres are fairly deep in the OF with young fringy MLB talent.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not close.... Fisher probably doesn't get you Yates.  Also, the Padres are fairly deep in the OF with young fringy MLB talent.

Yeah with Devers being the supposed asking price, Fisher is a secondary piece in a deal. They're going to be asking Houston for one of Tucker/Whitley

50 minutes ago, ragrag said:

if Fisher was a SS/3B/C they might start to listen

but they have plenty of OFers

11 hours ago, absknicks said:

I completely disagree. They should absolutely trade him. They have arguably the worst farm system in baseball and a complete dearth of young talent. They're not going to compete while deGrom is under contract, so why not trade him now while his value is at its apex and get back an organization changing prospect haul in return? They don't need one pitcher or one position player, regardless of how good, they need a large scale influx of young talent if they want to be competitive in the next 5 years. 

Imagine for a second they don't trade him and he tears his UCL in August? It's a no-brainer for me. One caveat I have is that they need to fire (or neuter, at least) Alderson before moving deGrom. Can't have Alderson choosing the talent that comes back given his track record. 

I do think they are better than they seem. You could be right though.

But take a look at this opinion piece on fangraphs:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/trading-jacob-degrom-would-be-foolish/

• Like 1

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers have made Adrian Beltre available via trade.

Beltre has 10-and-5 rights and thus has the ability to veto any trade, but the 39-year-old could be willing to approve a deal in order to get a shot to play in the postseason. Grant says that the Rangers are also willing to listen to offers for relievers Keone Kela and Jake Diekman. Beltre has dealt with injuries this season but is sporting a .314/.365/.456 batting line. It's been reported previously that the Phillies are one club known to have interest in him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Red Sox seems almost too perfect

3 hours ago, b0nfire said:

Red Sox seems almost too perfect

True. Could rotate him and devers at 3b/DH.