• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

30 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

ja happ and fulmer are both light years ahead of Sonny gray at this point in their careers. 

loisaga has maybe what 30-40 innings left this year max?  He’s not a post season factor .

German is slightly intriguing .

Running out sevy, past his prime Tanaka, German, and a prayer in CC in a 7 game series?  I’m sorry but that’s not going to get it done vs the stros rotation.  The Yankees have to know this.

degrom and bum are likely pipe dreams... but I agree yeah you empty the clip prospect wise for one of those guys 

fulmer is pitching to a 4.1 era and a 4+ FIP in a better park than yankee stadium.  and the tigers want WAY to much for him.

happ is pitching to a 4.44 era with a 4 FIP

happ is probably the better option as hes cheaper and i wouldnt mind getting him at all. but if the jays play hard ball and expect a sheffield or frazier they can screw off.

• Like 1

I find it crazy how so many believe Machado to the yanks would be a rental. If the Yankees make this trade there is no way they let him walk. Also if you’re in Machado’s situation why would you want to leave? It makes sense on both sides to make the deal now. Yes the Yankees top priority SHOULD be a SP but look at the market and there is not one arm worth trading for that could do more for the team than what Machado can do. This Yankees team is slowly falling behind Boston and needs a spark more than an average SP like Happ or Hamels.

Think the Yankees are holding Sheffield back in case they can get the O's to engage in talks to include one of their young starters.

40 minutes ago, tcorb22 said:

I find it crazy how so many believe Machado to the yanks would be a rental. If the Yankees make this trade there is no way they let him walk

I find it crazy how so many believe that the Yankees are the ones who get to make that decision.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tcorb22 said:

I find it crazy how so many believe Machado to the yanks would be a rental. If the Yankees make this trade there is no way they let him walk. Also if you’re in Machado’s situation why would you want to leave? It makes sense on both sides to make the deal now. Yes the Yankees top priority SHOULD be a SP but look at the market and there is not one arm worth trading for that could do more for the team than what Machado can do. This Yankees team is slowly falling behind Boston and needs a spark more than an average SP like Happ or Hamels.

They can't stop him walking.  He is a FA.  And the Phillies have way W-A-Y more money to use to get him under the luxury tax threshold.  And the Phils have very deep pockets too and said this off season they will make a major splash in the FA market.  If they really want Machado they are the odds on favorites.

And if what you are saying is that the Yankees can then make a deal with Manny long term this sesaon.  Just no.  There is no way in hell Manny would make a long term deal "now."  He will end up with one of the biggest mega-contracts in baseball history by going the free agency route with teams bidding like crazy for him.  I think he will get a way better contract than Harper for sure.  So know it makes no sense for Manny to make a deal now with the Yankees this year.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Yankees are in position to get whoever they want in free agency: 

• New York is still one of the most attractive/popular cities in the world
  • biggest market
  • young core full of stars (Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Severino, etc.)
  • wealthy organization
  • yankee tradition/prestige

The yankees are in position to sign whoever they want. And no other organization can compete with what they are offering .. especially when you consider all of the ancillary stuff mentioned above.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They can't stop him walking.  He is a FA.  And the Phillies have way W-A-Y more money to use to get him under the luxury tax threshold.  And the Phils have very deep pockets too and said this off season they will make a major splash in the FA market.  If they really want Machado they are the odds on favorites.

If the Yankees trade for him they are the favorites to sign him no? I think that’s why they trade for him now so others don’t even have a shot. Like I said in my previous post why would you leave if you’re Machado? There’s already been tons of speculation on his interest in joining the Yankees. No they can’t stop him from walking if he decides to but they can make it pretty damn difficult and I think Machado would be dumb to leave mainly because of the points Embargo just made above. 

Edited by tcorb22

1 minute ago, EmbargoLifted said:

The Yankees are in position to get whoever they want in free agency: 

• New York is still one of the most attractive/popular cities in the world
  • biggest market
  • young core full of stars (Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Severino, etc.)
  • wealthy organization
  • yankee tradition/prestige

The yankees are in position to sign whoever they want. And no other organization can compete with what they are offering .. especially when you consider all of the ancillary stuff mentioned above.  

You forgot luxury tax and that the Phils have way more money to spend than even the Yankees.  And the Phillies are on the rise and are going to be in the mix for the ring next year.  Manny on that team would be the super star too.  Not just playing second fiddle to Judge or Stanton.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tcorb22 said:

If the Yankees trade for him they are the favorites to sign him no? I think that’s why they trade for him now so others don’t even have a shot. Like I said in my previous post why would you leave if you’re Machado? There’s already been tons of speculation on his interest in joining the Yankees. No they can’t stop him from walking if he decides to but they can make it pretty damn difficult and I think Machado would be dumb to leave. 

That's right.  You said it yourself in a way.  No.  Did Chapman re-sign with the Indians?  Did JD re-sign with the D-Backs.  Free agency does not work that way.  It never has.  Machado's agent makes the deal in the end basically and the more money he gets him the more the agent pockets.  Few players veto their agent.

And I'm sure that speculation is from Yankee fans you mention.  Because national baseball writers and reporters with no horse in the race have had their money on Philly for some time.

And I think it would be dumb for Manny to play in NY where he is just one of several stars when he can be THE man in Philly while still having an even bigger contract than NY can offer. 

NY simply cannot match a determined Philly offer because of the luxury tax.  I think they  will try for Harper instead in the end since they obviously can't get both anyway.  Doesn't mean they won't put in an offer as will the Dodgers and Cubs and others.  But it is Philly's contract to lose, not the Yankees.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That's right.  You said it yourself in  a way.  No.  Did Chapman re-sign with the Indians?  Did JD re-sign with the D-Backs.  Free agency does not work that way.  It never has.

And I'm sure that speculation is from Yankee fans you mention.  Because national baseball writers and reporters with no horse in the race have had their money on Philly for some time.

And I think it would be dumb for Manny to play in NY where he is just one of several stars when he can be THE man in Philly.

I get what you’re saying I just find it hard to believe that if Machado is a yankee in the next couple weeks that he won’t be one next season. Chapman to the Cubs and JD to the D-backs were always going to be rentals because of the price to keep them and the situations those teams were in. If Machado is dealt to the Yanks I’d say it’s more realistic for them to keep him than for him to walk whereas when JD and Chap were traded it was pretty much known they would be leaving after the season. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, tcorb22 said:

I get what you’re saying I just find it hard to believe that if Machado is a yankee in the next couple weeks that he won’t be one next season. Chapman to the Cubs and JD to the D-backs were always going to be rentals because of the price to keep them and the situations those teams were in. If Machado is dealt to the Yanks I’d say it’s more realistic for them to keep him than for him to walk whereas when JD and Chap were traded it was pretty much known they would be leaving after the season. 

And it is totally known that whoever Manny is traded too he won't stay with them afterwards too by definition of what a free agent is.  So I guess we will agree to disagree then because Machado is "walking" from any team he ends up on this season because he is indeed a free agent. 

Look, all star rentals walk.  Period.  Only some journeyman scared no one would pick him up or someone wanting to up his value because he had an off year or the market is soft so he will take a one year deal would make a deal without testing free agency.  Manny is not a journeyman.  And the market will not be soft this season.

And he only gets a super contract beyond belief when multiple teams bid on him.  No way would his agent every every let him sign a contract and skip free agency.  It just is not going to happen in a million years in this day and age.

And star free agents follow the money.  This is his one time mega payout and the Phillies aren't some lousy backwater team.  They are a really really good young team who will making the playoffs for years to come and they have as good a shot of winning it all over the next half dozen years as the Yankees do.  So it is like take the money and end up on a crappy team vs take a lot less and not end up on a crappy team.  Philly is gonna be a major contender for years to come now.  So Philly is a perfect fit for him.

Again I'm sure the Yankees will make an offer but they will offer it to him as a free agent just like the Phillies and Dodgers and Cubs and others will.  And anything can happen. 

I'm just saying the stars have aligned that the Phillies are the odds on favorites to get him this off season.  They have been saving up their money for several years now and keeping way under the luxury tax -- which is a big deal penalty wise the more you go over it these days than in the past and also costing you draft picks now too --  just basically for the big contract for this off season and they have made it clear their number one target is Manny.

Baseball is a business.  Follow the money is it's mantra.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I think the LA Dodgers would disagree with that assessment .

I absolutely loathe LAD but you can't deny that lots and lots of players would much rather play in the beautiful SoCal weather than anywhere on the East Coast.

And Dodger money spends just as well as Yankee money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I think the LA Dodgers would disagree with that assessment .

I absolutely loathe LAD but you can't deny that lots and lots of players would much rather play in the beautiful SoCal weather than anywhere on the East Coast.

And Dodger money spends just as well as Yankee money.

dont think this is true.  east coast baseball is TOPPS

I had a dream last night...yankees blew their farm system but got degrom and machado

Andujar, Frazier, Floriel, Abreu, medina for Degrom

Sheffield, Drury, Tate for Machado

could add in chance adams or freicer perez if needed

Edited by jfazz23
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I had a dream last night...yankees blew their farm system but got degrom and machado

Key word in bold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Halo Fan said:

Key word in bold.

so u dont think either get traded?  or u think there are better packages out there?

Just now, jfazz23 said:

so u dont think either get traded?  or u think there are better packages out there?

I don't think that all of those scenarios play out simultaneously.

Just now, Halo Fan said:

I don't think that all of those scenarios play out simultaneously.

of course not

just wondering what your thoughts were on what it would take to get some of the big guys

57 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

You got to stop eating burritos right before you go to bed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

more of an enchilada guy

its def a dream tho.  machado will get dealt for sure....arizona seems like a nice location (worked for JD MArt)

i think only 10% chance degrom does

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

...for many reasons

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

unfortunately tho i think the pitchers id want (degrom or bumbgardner) are not available for trade

do u really think ja happ or michael fulmer are any better than sonny gray or domingo german/loisiga?

no point in trading just to trade.

I wouldn’t make a trade if I can’t get a top of the line starter. 

• Like 1

The Giants are still very much in contention, and finally have their full rotation healthy for the first time all season.  So I doubt they make too many crazy moves (could see someone like McCutchen or possibly even a Panik moved), but heard something interesting on the radio the other day.  I believe this scenario was more based on if the Giants had completely fallen out of it by the deadline, but:  approach MadBum and tell him you'll re-sign him in 2020 if he wants to come back.  Re-stock your farm system by trading him, go after a marquee in 2019, and then work with Bum in 2020.

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Talk about emptying the clip.  Two stud pickups there but man that's a lot of future to mortgage away. 

• Like 1