SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Looks like the threshold will be 197 million this year. 

I am not defending Rizzo or the Nats but you have to think they aren’t dumb enough to keep Harper, pay his salary as the ship sinks, AND not get any compensation. 

But I guess we shall see. 

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Nats are above the luxury tax cap so I believe the compensation pick is worth a lot less.

Where do you figure that Nats are over the salary cap? Spotrac has them starting 2018 at 181m.

The rest is just using my imagination with Spotrac data of how he could stay a Nat. But the list of teams that could pay him say 30m a year on a long-term contract really are few and far between. I think that Stanton received the last contract of that type (see JD Martinez).

Going into next year with Murphy as a UFA (even if he was still with the team) take off 12.5m as I doubt they would have offered a qualifying offer even. Gio is in his last year and doubt he is offered a QA either so you gain another 12m. Wieters contract expires after this season also (10.5m).

Those three alone makes signing Harper a possibility to a long-term contract. Doubt it happens but you could have a revamped offense without spending anything in FA. Soto, Robles in the OF and switch Turner to 2nd (good for my Dynasty team), bring up both Kiebooms, leave DiFo as IF depth, and Taylor/Eaton as OF depth. They still would have Max and Strasburg and then things go downhill quickly. 

All depends on if Harper was being honest when he said he liked playing in Washington or if it was just a PR move on his part.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Mccutchen to the Yankees seems like a pretty obvious move

not really

yanks arent catching boston and judge seems like hell get to play about 3 weeks in august to shake off any rust.. sanchez maybe even sooner.  plus niel walker is playing great.

Edited by jfazz23

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

not really

yanks arent catching boston and judge seems like hell get to play about 3 weeks in august to shake off any rust.. sanchez maybe even sooner.  plus niel walker is playing great.

Regardless of yanks catching/not catching Boston it would be wise to pick up another OF. Who knows how Judge is going to feel upon coming back. If for some reason he ends up back on the DL I sure as hell don’t want Walker in my OF (defensively) come playoff time. The yanks have nothing to lose by picking up Mccutchen. 

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Regardless of yanks catching/not catching Boston it would be wise to pick up another OF. Who knows how Judge is going to feel upon coming back. If for some reason he ends up back on the DL I sure as hell don’t want Walker in my OF (defensively) come playoff time. The yanks have nothing to lose by picking up Mccutchen. 

my guess is houston

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Mccutchen to the Yankees seems like a pretty obvious move

I'd rather see them make a move for Smoak. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Where do you figure that Nats are over the salary cap? Spotrac has them starting 2018 at 181m.

The rest is just using my imagination with Spotrac data of how he could stay a Nat. But the list of teams that could pay him say 30m a year on a long-term contract really are few and far between. I think that Stanton received the last contract of that type (see JD Martinez).

Going into next year with Murphy as a UFA (even if he was still with the team) take off 12.5m as I doubt they would have offered a qualifying offer even. Gio is in his last year and doubt he is offered a QA either so you gain another 12m. Wieters contract expires after this season also (10.5m).

Those three alone makes signing Harper a possibility to a long-term contract. Doubt it happens but you could have a revamped offense without spending anything in FA. Soto, Robles in the OF and switch Turner to 2nd (good for my Dynasty team), bring up both Kiebooms, leave DiFo as IF depth, and Taylor/Eaton as OF depth. They still would have Max and Strasburg and then things go downhill quickly. 

All depends on if Harper was being honest when he said he liked playing in Washington or if it was just a PR move on his part.

Kieboom would be the one moving to 2b.

Robles likely starts in the minors with eaton playing.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Kieboom would be the one moving to 2b.

Robles likely starts in the minors with eaton playing.

Either way on Kieboom works for me. I just moved Turner to 2nd as he had played it before and Kieboom on Yahoo is only a SS.

On Robles you are probably right but don't think he stays down long with the usual caveats of health and hitting.

Fair to say that Donaldson is still speedwalking to first.  Happy trails, JD.  Continue enjoying Florida.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:35 PM, jfazz23 said:

not really

The Judge injury is obviously worse than expected since last week. Hate to say I told you so. 

• Like 1

I guess it technically is the 2018 season even in the post-season so it is safe to put this player for int'l money trade here in the 2018 thread.  Miami's fire sale continues.  From Rotoworld:

Nationals acquired RHP Kyle Barraclough from the Marlins for interenational bonus pool money

The Marlins are loading up their international budget to chase Cuban talent and they've long considered relievers expendable, so Barraclough gets shown the door after a disappointing season in which he struggled in the closer's role and finished with a 4.20 ERA. But while Barraclough's stock is down, it's still disappointing that the Marlins couldn't recoup some talent for him, instead of just the right to hopefully purchase talent. Barraclough has a 3.21 ERA and 279 strikeouts in 219 innings since debuting in 2015. His velocity has declined some and he never has gotten much better at throwing strikes, but he's still a great get for the Nationals at this cost.               Oct 10 - 12:58 PM

Hoping they decide to go with Steckenrider, would help my NL keeper team.  Not much difference between the two of them anyways, and I imagine Steckenrider is cheaper through arbitration.