SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

11 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

dont think this is true.  east coast baseball is TOPPS

I had a dream last night...yankees blew their farm system but got degrom and machado

Andujar, Frazier, Floriel, Abreu, medina for Degrom

Sheffield, Drury, Tate for Machado

could add in chance adams or freicer perez if needed

Wrong Mets pitcher to be dreaming about.  I told you.  No burritos before bedtime.  It's is ruining your psychic powers, heh.

Marc Carig of The Athletic reports that the Yankees "recently inquired" about a possible trade for Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler.

Jon Heyman of Fancred wrote earlier this week that the Yankees don't view Jacob deGrom or Noah Syndergaard as realistic trade targets, but they are apparently considering making a play for another Mets starter. Wheeler has posted mostly underwhelming overall numbers this season, but the 28-year-old owns a 3.44 ERA and 46/19 K/BB ratio over his last 49 2/3 innings (eight starts) dating back to the beginning of June. Wheeler is under club control through 2019.

Source: Marc Carig on Twitter                                                            Jul 12 - 12:00 PM

And the most recent team looking at Britton:

According to Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia, the Phillies are interested in Zach Britton and have spoken to Orioles officials about him.

Salisbury notes in the same report that the Phillies find the asking price for Manny Machado "to be too steep" and that their "best shot of landing" him will likely come in the offseason when he is a free agent. That foray into the crowded Machado sweepstakes has led to trade negotiations for Britton, and it does seem like a pretty good fit given the rotating door at the back end of the Philadelphia bullpen. Britton is also known to be drawing interest from the Red Sox and Yankees. He holds an underwhelming 4.26 ERA in 12 2/3 innings since making his season debut in mid-June, but the 30-year-old impending free agent closer has worked six straight scoreless appearances for Baltimore.

Source: NBC Sports Philadelphia                                                         Jul 12 - 9:18 AM

And given that ever team is saying Baltimore is way off base on a Manny rental -- think it was the Dodgers who were the last ones to say that before -- it would be hilarious if the O's hold TOO long and end up with nothing but three magic beans for him.

Phillies should definitely wait until the off season before they land Manny.  Save their prospects for trade currency at the deadline next season when they go for it all and get that extra ace starter then.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

How can you be so sure  @The Big Bat Theory if the Yankees trade for Machado it’s only a rental and no way Machado will sign with the Yankees? And you only believe the Phillies have a realistic chance to sign Manny. I will give you they have the money to blow. Luxury tax. But I don’t see the Phillies as a team on the rise YET.  Holes all over in that lineup. One thing they do have going for them — the best manager. He is making that team ... 

The Yankees don’t need Manny .... 

The Yankees have the team right now to win the World Series... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

If NYY balking at including Justus Sheffield for Machado they're nuts.  But then again it might be a case of taking him off the table now to make the big concession when you include him later.  

Have to disagree.  Sheffield has a very bright future.

Yanks are onlyvdriving up the price which is why this info was "leaked."  I think Milwaukee ultimately trades for him and he signs most likely with either PHI or NYY.  The Dodgers won't have a clear need for him by then.  The Yanks aren't super high on Didi and he is a possible trade candidate this offseason.  I'd keep an eye on WAS also if they are unable to resign Harper.

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

How can you be so sure  @The Big Bat Theory if the Yankees trade for Machado it’s only a rental and no way Machado will sign with the Yankees? And you only believe the Phillies have a realistic chance to sign Manny. I will give you they have the money to blow. Luxury tax. But I don’t see the Phillies as a team on the rise YET.  Holes all over in that lineup. One thing they do have going for them — the best manager. He is making that team ... 

Manny is only a rental by definition.  He IS a free agent at the end of the season.  Period.  He will go to free agency and cause a major bidding war.  No way would he be anything other than a rental this season.

And the Phillies are for real and Manny and one more starter are the only 2 pieces they need to go from a playoff team to someone who  can get all the way through the playoffs to the World Series next season.  If they need another piece or two they will pick them up but they are on the cusp right now.

And I didn't say the Yankees couldn't sign him in the off season.  I said the Phillies are the odds on favorites because they purposely positioned themselves to be the odds on favorite for this off season as part of their rebuilding plans.  And now they are ahead of schedule on their rebuild.  And I might put the Dodgers maybe ahead of the Yankees too though they, like the Yankees, have luxury tax issues.  Both want Manny but both are hamstrung by the luxury tax.  The Yankees may be able to afford Harper but not likely Manny and definitely not both.

And you people don't seem to get how the luxury tax has been amended to the point that it is now finally a VERY real issue for the deep pocket teams what with the scaling up of money and not a flat rate anymore and the major draft picks issue.  It is way way more detrimental to go over it now than in the past. 

This isn't your grandmother's luxury tax any more.  If you are a deep pockets team you can absorb going a little over it but no team can absorb going a lot over it any more.

• Like 2

I said before I thought Houston would be the best fit here.  Hope it happens being a Ramos owner in a couple of my leagues.  Make it happen, guys.  Ramos so deserves to get on a contender again.

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Astros and Rays have been "in contact" about a possible Wilson Ramos trade.

Brian McCann underwent surgery on his right knee and is expected to be out until sometime in September, so the defending World Series champions are looking to bring in an established catcher for the stretch run. Ramos, 30, has batted .291/.340/.479 with 14 home runs and 51 RBI in 75 games this season and was named an American League All-Star on Sunday. He's scheduled to become a free agent in November.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter                                   Jul 12 - 2:38 PM

I can't wait for some actual big trades to happen. The circular speculation / arguing is only fun for a few pages.

• Like 2

Completely off topic, but I am not entirely sure where to post this. Is there a thread on players who historically have strong/weak second halfs? 

5 minutes ago, andy1234 said:

Completely off topic, but I am not entirely sure where to post this. Is there a thread on players who historically have strong/weak second halfs? 

Hope they include the 12-15 games prior to the ASB 

25 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Hope they include the 12-15 games prior to the ASB 

That's what I like about Shandler's preseason book...his 1st-2nd halves are actual 1st-2nd halves. And I like going to the splits on Yahoo's player pages and looking at April-June vs July-Sept during the season and over the winter before Shandler's book comes out each spring. 

Maybe someday we'll stop this first half -second half nonsense . At the ASB

It's working for RBI (s )

Taking time but working 

I'm doing

my best to convert 

Edited by motown magic

8 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Note the bias, but the Phillies do have a very good chance of signing him next year and are on the rise. Yes, they're better than the sum of their parts right now, but Manny can change that. Regardless of what happens this year, Manny is testing free agency. He could miss out on the best possible contract if he doesn't, and everything I've heard indicates he wants to test free agency. That's not to say he won't eventually resign with whatever team trades for him, but he absolutely is testing free agency. To think otherwise is naive. 

• Like 1

I’m really enjoying these updates of leaks from the Orioles camp every 2 hours about which team is in the lead for Machado and which teams have increased their offers. I’m looking forward to 2 more weeks of it until they final accept an offer only to back out at the last minute over medical concerns of one of the return players!

• Haha 5

Cleveland interested in O's not named Machado as in an Adam Jones rental and relievers.  Jones has the right to veto any trade and he surely won't to a team that is going to win their division easily.  (He too is a FA at the end of the season btw). 

Manny is going to go bonkers if Jones and half the reliever corps get their tickets to ride out of Baltimore first.

I'm just going to throw this out there.  The Os will be kicking themselves if they don't make a deal soon and something happens to Machado over the next week or so. Imagine he gets hurt and they get nothing. Not hoping for this, obviously, but just pointing out an actual possibility.

Funny you mention that. Several years ago I owned Vlad and had resisted some very good trades even though my team wasn't doing well. He got hurt and was lost for the season. I couldn't give him away . Yes the same thing could happen to MM. Look at Haap. He hasn't pitched well his last couple of starts. Haven't heard much lately about him.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of these trade negotiations.

I wonder, are the negotiations highly sophisticated? Or is it like two fantasy managers nonsensically going back and forth?

Say, do rival GMs actually ask Cashman for Torres?

What kind of negotiation tactics do they use? Do they use the ole' "you don't need that guy" or that "guy's not very good" move?

"Oh you don't need Andujar, you have Drury"

I'd love to know haha.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I wonder, are the negotiations highly sophisticated? Or is it like two fantasy managers nonsensically going back and forth?

What kind of negotiation tactics do they use? Do they use the ole' "you don't need that guy" or that "guy's not very good" move?

I'd love to know haha.

It's a lot like this:

Image result for old fashioned fight gif

• Haha 3

Britton looks to be back in good form and the Orioles are ready to deal him.

Wonder who gets him? Possibly packaged with Machado?  Also makes sense for Braves now with the Viz injury

54 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Britton looks to be back in good form and the Orioles are ready to deal him.

Wonder who gets him? Possibly packaged with Machado?  Also makes sense for Braves now with the Viz injury

Orioles said they want to package machado and Britton separately to maximize value, for whatever that is worth 

14 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

i know i cant wait til the cards pick up a middling reliever and come short of the 2nd wild card by 5 games

Well they added a big piece tonight by subtraction in that they fired their lousy manager finally.

7 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I'd love to know haha.

Go watch Moneyball and Hollywood will show you their version of how Billy Boy does it.

• Like 1