SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Does anyone expect Harper to get moved before the deadline tomorrow? I honestly think the chances that a team works out a deal in such a short amount of time. The kicker is that it could just be a rental so a team trading for him has to feel confident they can keep him.

6 hours ago, DidiFan said:

Ain't no cure fro stupid.

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Tyler Austin pulled from yanks AAA start and sent to twins

Well there goes the Joe Kelly Fight Club re-match this year.  Sniff.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

*SPECULATION*

Crew send Travis Shaw, Corey Ray, along with prospect arms Diplan and Luis Ortiz

FOR

Archer and a pen arm (Schultz maybe)

??

Yeah get rid of your everyday 2B who has played great for a sucky, way over-rated pitcher.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I like this Lance Lynn trade ... a veteran who knows how to pitch. 

The Red Sox LOVE this trade too.  They are his daddy as much as they are Archer's daddy.

Lance Lynn has an ERA of 5.10 and a WHIP of 1.60 which, ironically, are the exact same numbers he accrued against the Red Sox his last outing against them a few days back.  At least he and CC can compare waistlines though.

13 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I don’t think Oakland has the cheddar to pull this off

That's about Harper.  They have plenty of good prospects to rent him out.  They would be foolish to use them for a guy having a bad season and who will be gone in 2 months.  Nats would want Jesus Luzardo which would be a stupid move on Beane's side.

Also who even knows if this Harper rumor is true.  Nat have been piddling and diddling around all week like Hamlet.  To decide suddenly with less than 24 hours left is not too smart.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I think now they gotta move him no?? Can't say " making him available" then all of a sudden, pull him back, put him back in the fold and ride out the season for him to walk?  Maybe deal does not get done by tomorrow, but moreso maybe the August waiver trade deadline?

I never really thought they'd actually put him up for trade. Color me surprised at this hour.

Duvall to braves for Sims, Wisler, and Tucker.  That's controllable arms for a low OBP hitter.  Interesting.

1 minute ago, Clubhouse Corner said:

I think now they gotta move him no?? Can't say " making him available" then all of a sudden, pull him back, put him back in the fold and ride out the season for him to walk?  Maybe deal does not get done by tomorrow, but moreso maybe the August waiver trade deadline?

I never really thought they'd actually put him up for trade. Color me surprised at this hour.

Problem with an August deal is you narrow your bidders to just one because he definitely wouldn't clear. Doing it before 4pm it's an open bidding. 

You know, renting a guy ain't so bad.

I've been hearing a lot of: "Why would you trade away prospects when in two months you can sign the guy for free?"

Well, there's also: "Why would you commit, hundreds of millions of dollars to a guy and be tied at the hip to him for a decade?"

I'd rather rent him for two months in exchange for a few prospects, one of which maybe turns out to be serviceable.

• Like 2

I completely agree with all of this. it doesn't make sense to spring this news out of nowhere to just do nothing.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm not much of a fan of Duvall as he can't walk any.  Don't know what the Braves were thinking.  Maybe they have better hitting coaches who can help him maybe.

Yeah I agree it's kind of a head-scratcher of a move. 

5 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

I completely agree with all of this. it doesn't make sense to spring this news out of nowhere to just do nothing.

If anything it's not good to ailienate your best player if you were trying to re-sign. 

• Like 1

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

If anything it's not good to ailienate your best player if you were trying to re-sign. 

I'm thinking Mike Rizzo may be on a phone conversation for the next 17 consecutive hours...hope he's got ear buds...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm not much of a fan of Duvall as he can't walk any.  Don't know what the Braves were thinking.  Maybe they have better hitting coaches who can help him maybe.

3 years of team control for Duvall.

3 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

The Nats and everyone else in baseball know they are NOT re-signing Harper.  That was already a given.  But shopping him at the very last minute when GMs have already made moves or are in the middle of ones is stupid too.

I'm thinking Mike Rizzo may be on a phone conversation for the next 17 consecutive hours...hope he's got ear buds...

Indeed. I hope the Nats front office wasn't planning to, you know, sleep tonight.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Nats and everyone else in baseball know they are NOT re-signing Harper.  That was already a given.  But shopping him at the very last minute when GMs have already made moves or are in the middle of ones is stupid too.

True, but this could have Harper's fingerprints all over it as well. He could of been in the ears of management today....sorta igniting things...may not be all " Nats front office".....hands could be tied.....

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I definitely don’t blame non Reds fans for not paying a lot of attention to Adam Duvall’s in depth stats but he actually has a career best 9.2% walk rate this year. Possibly the Braves just think his discipline has taken a step forward this season his terrible babip will normalize. 

Jon HeymanVerified account @JonHeyman 7m7 minutes ago
Some who have spoken to Nats GM Mike Rizzo believe he’s still in win-now mode. If he’s gauging interest in bryce Harper — and @Feinsand and others suggest he’s listening — it may be just to appease others. There’s still skepticism he’d make abrupt Harper trade and abandon 2018.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Where will the Braves even play Duvall?

LF vs LHP

• Like 1