Sign in to follow this  
taobball

Mitch Trubisky 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Not at all. I spend too much time watching Bears games. Guy hasn't played a single above average defense yet this season. Nagy's scheme is working perfectly for him, sure, but he is nothing more than an average QB who makes single reads. Maybe he gets better with time, but he is nothing special. 

so what was your take on him manipulating the safety with his eyes until the last minute to free up Robinson in single coverage on his long TD?

Just now, IlliniGuy76 said:

Ahhh - got it... when the numbers (and the eye test that's telling you he's taking huge leaps and bounds in this offense) tell a completely different story from the narrative you're spinning, resort to the ol' "schedule" argument.  

How is the "schedule" argument invalid? I said that in my initial post. Vikings D is looking better as of late, and will be Trubiskys first test of the season. 

The eye test tells me nothing as you clearly don't pay close enough attention. He had two wide open touchdowns yesterday. And the ARob ball was a good catch but underthrown ball. Your receiver should never have to come back through a defender to try and catch a ball. 

I understand a lot of people are fans of this guy since he is carrying your fantasy teams. But watch his tape before you start anointing him as a good QB. 

Just now, oliminator123 said:

How is the "schedule" argument invalid? I said that in my initial post. Vikings D is looking better as of late, and will be Trubiskys first test of the season. 

The eye test tells me nothing as you clearly don't pay close enough attention. He had two wide open touchdowns yesterday. And the ARob ball was a good catch but underthrown ball. Your receiver should never have to come back through a defender to try and catch a ball. 

I understand a lot of people are fans of this guy since he is carrying your fantasy teams. But watch his tape before you start anointing him as a good QB. 

You play the games you have to play - that's it.  That's why the argument is just simply faulty.  

The eye test tells you he's making leaps and bounds.  Reading defenses significantly better, not having issues passing to his left - the NUMBERS also tell this.

A Rob TD was a perfectly thrown TD - you absolutely have receivers/QB's who work on that sort of play on a weekly basis during practice where the receiver is the only one who has a chance to catch the "underthrown" football.  Note:  He had a 148.6 rating yesterday.  Second note:  That's really good.

4 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

so what was your take on him manipulating the safety with his eyes until the last minute to free up Robinson in single coverage on his long TD?

That was just the play design. Mitch didn't even look at Robinson and analyze the coverage. He jerked his head and just slung the ball down the field, and Robinson made a good catch on an underthrown ball. As I mentioned Nagy's scheme is just working against these porous defenses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

You play the games you have to play - that's it.  That's why the argument is just simply faulty.  

The eye test tells you he's making leaps and bounds.  Reading defenses significantly better, not having issues passing to his left - the NUMBERS also tell this.

A Rob TD was a perfectly thrown TD - you absolutely have receivers/QB's who work on that sort of play on a weekly basis during practice where the receiver is the only one who has a chance to catch the "underthrown" football.  Note:  He had a 148.6 rating yesterday.  Second note:  That's really good.

Doesn't matter if you play games you have to. If those games are against low ranked defenses than the argument is justified. If he had played Baltimore, Jacksonville and Tennessee (and had played well) you would be using it as an argument for why he is good. 

It was not perfectly thrown. I don't know how you can say that. 

Go to 45 seconds 

https://youtu.be/dnNQyCa_Ju0

10 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

That was just the play design. Mitch didn't even look at Robinson and analyze the coverage. He jerked his head and just slung the ball down the field, and Robinson made a good catch on an underthrown ball. As I mentioned Nagy's scheme is just working against these porous defenses. 

Play design encompasses route concepts and blocking schemes....it doesn’t account looking off coverage lol but ok. I’m not a bears fan or a Mitch fan. In fact I dislike them both as a lions homer, but I don’t think you’re being totally objective with your analysis whatsoever. The kid has a terrific skill set and has developed well in his second year and first with Nagy 

Just now, Joe Odam said:

Play design encompasses route concepts and blocking schemes....it doesn’t account looking off coverage lol but ok. I’m not a bears fan or a Mitch fan. In fact I dislike them both as a lions homer, but I don’t think you’re being totally objective with your analysis whatsoever. The kid has a terrific skill set and has developed well in his second year and first with Nagy 

We can agree to disagree. Will be back next Monday after the Sunday night game. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Doesn't matter if you play games you have to. If those games are against low ranked defenses than the argument is justified. If he had played Baltimore, Jacksonville and Tennessee (and had played well) you would be using it as an argument for why he is good. 

It was not perfectly thrown. I don't know how you can say that. 

Go to 45 seconds 

https://youtu.be/dnNQyCa_Ju0

Yes - I know the play.  He looked left, saw double coverage/safety up top, came back to the 1:1 coverage on ARob & threw it to his right hip/endzone sideline & underthrown slightly to ensure only one person would be able to make the play... Allen Robinson.  Not only was it a fantastic throw for a TD but he read the defense accurately and went to the correct read.  

Listen:  Trubisky is still a work in progress (as all young QB's are, but even more so with him with limited college playing time under his belt) - but he's certainly progressing.. it's obvious (again) by just the eye test.  Yes, the Vikings will be a good measuring stick, but I think his play over the last many weeks shows he's indeed learning a complex offense and is moving the needle for the Bears.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

41 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Nobody has called Mitch elite...but you are now saying that there isn't a good qb in the league that throws an occasional imperfect ball.

So let's magnify every pass that misses a target, and ignore his stats and results.

Nothing more than a hater.

• Like 1

Great case of a great fantasy player and ****ful real life qb atm. The new OC has done wonders for him and if Mitch ever becomes even average at the little things a qb does than well he could be Patrick Mahomes 2.0 in real life. Anyone who watches him week to week knows he’s not close yet in development but that’s not a bad thing considering his lack of experience. 

After Chicago seemingly reaching for him at 1.02, and then him looking not great last year I thought this dude was a bum. I think the Bears have something here

4 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Great case of a great fantasy player and ****ful real life qb atm. The new OC has done wonders for him and if Mitch ever becomes even average at the little things a qb does than well he could be Patrick Mahomes 2.0 in real life. Anyone who watches him week to week knows he’s not close yet in development but that’s not a bad thing considering his lack of experience. 

101 qb rating on the year...65% comp...2:1 int ratio...2nd in rushing yards.

Would anyone have complained after the draft pick if they were told that these would be his 2nd yr numbers-?

Just now, psygolf said:

101 qb rating on the year...65% comp...2:1 int ratio...2nd in rushing yards.

Would anyone have complained after the draft pick if they were told that these would be his 2nd yr numbers-?

Im not even trying to hate hear as I wish I was ballsy enough to take Mitch this year In fantasy but I went safe instead of upside. I’m just saying if you watch him week to week it’s freakin ugly half the time but the stats are great. Credit has to go to the OC here in the play calling and the weapons around Mitch. Like I said if he starts improving on the fundamentals of a QB than look out in real life. Fantasy he’s already at worst a top ten guy imo. 

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

Im not even trying to hate hear as I wish I was ballsy enough to take Mitch this year In fantasy but I went safe instead of upside. I’m just saying if you watch him week to week it’s freakin ugly half the time but the stats are great. Credit has to go to the OC here in the play calling and the weapons around Mitch. Like I said if he starts improving on the fundamentals of a QB than look out in real life. Fantasy he’s already at worst a top ten guy imo. 

He seems to be scrutinized more than any other qb right now...for underlying reasons.  He is moving the ball for the team.   As for the credit you're giving all to the OC, Nagy has received more criticism in his play calling than Mitch's bad play.

36 minutes ago, fakespike said:

Mitch is the number 2 QB since week 4, in my scoring at least.  Haven’t seen a top FF QB get this much hate in a while. 

Since Vick during his comeback

His critics have pre-determined he sucks because they think the Bears "got fleeced" in the trade from 3 - 2. Nothing Mitch ever does will change those peoples' minds because they already made up their minds 2 years ago. 

It's always hard for people to admit they're wrong.

Edited by drumr470

3 minutes ago, drumr470 said:

His critics have pre-determined he sucks because they think the Bears "got fleeced" in the trade from 3 - 2. Nothing Mitch ever does will change those peoples' minds because they already made up their minds 2 years ago. 

It's always hard for people to admit they're wrong.

That trade was awful and trubs has had some awful decision making. If the bears D wasn't so dominant the bears would have a losing record.

But...trubisky is looking better and making better reads lately. I just want to see how well he does against Minnesota.

Thoughts on how he'll do at home against MN??

Somebody dropped him in one of my leagues where I've been riding Fitz. Don't think CHI will be able to run that well. Could be a lot of passing and a lot of Mitch running.

Not a great matchup though. 

Trubisky and the Bears are playing considerably better than anyone predicted before the season started. Trubisky has had growing pains like all young QB's do but he is playing so so so so much better than anyone predicted and continues to improve every week. His future looks really bright and anyone spinning the Trubisky is bad narrative has no idea what they are talking about. None. It's laughable how completely misinformed people can be and how they will hold on to their preconceived notions like their lives depended on it. 

Oliminator, first you said Adam Thielen was not legit and a fluke... now you hating on Mitch Tribusky who is rated the highest in fantasy points per game since week 5.... 

like my guys on nfl prime time say... come on man! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He didn't looked scared - Nagy was spoon feeding him a brand new offense.  The physical tools jumped off the page even in those earlier games this season.

I'm certainly no expert but out of the Bears games I watched earlier this season I just did not think Trubisky looked good at all and was worried he was going to be a bust. But like I said I have no issue with admitting I am wrong and changing my mind, Trubisky is developing into a franchise QB and continues to take steps in the right direction. I hope it continues for Bears fans.

3 minutes ago, metalmat said:

I'm certainly no expert but out of the Bears games I watched earlier this season I just did not think Trubisky looked good at all and was worried he was going to be a bust. But like I said I have no issue with admitting I am wrong and changing my mind, Trubisky is developing into a franchise QB and continues to take steps in the right direction. I hope it continues for Bears fans.

Good post.  It’s important not to get dug in on a bad take.  Be flexible - things can change dramatically when it comes to raw young prospects like Mitch.  If you refuse to abandon an earlier stance, that’s when conversations become painful, and the next thing you know, they have to lock the thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1