nine9s

Calvin Ridley 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

He runs very nice routes and has very good separation but gets pushed in press coverage and seems weak in catching contested balls. Outlook in 20018 and over career?

Edited by nine9s

This dude's gonna ball. He creates elite separation IMO. 

And when he lines up opposite Julio he's going to be the afterthought for most DCs and wreak havoc on secondaries because of it IMO. 

If this was 1995 I'd be worried about his smallish Frame and getting bullied at the line, but this is soft 2018 and a pass happy pass friendly NFL. You can't smother a receiver like you could back then without getting a PI. 

And if you try to get up on him at the line he can shake you with his first move and run free. I think this was a great landing spot for him and I'll be targeting him everywhere. 

BTW, didn't he have his own thread? I know I've talked about him somewhere before today. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This dude's gonna ball. He creates elite separation IMO. 

And when he lines up opposite Julio he's going to be the afterthought for most DCs and wreak havoc on secondaries because of it IMO. 

If this was 1995 I'd be worried about his smallish Frame and getting bullied at the line, but this is soft 2018 and a pass happy pass friendly NFL. You can't smother a receiver like you could back then without getting a PI. 

And if you try to get up on him at the line he can shake you with his first move and run free. I think this was a great landing spot for him and I'll be targeting him everywhere. 

BTW, didn't he have his own thread? I know I've talked about him somewhere before today. 

I would guess that he was discussed in the "2018 Rookie WR Class" thread.

• Like 1

Is he going to be the WR2 opposite Julio?  Or will Sanu still keep that role?  Sanu wasn't terrible last year (703/5) and if you look at playerprofiler, Sanu has about 20 lbs on Ridley, but has a much higher SPARQ score and seems like a bit more athletic.  I'm not trying to defend Sanu, I'm genuinely curious if anyone has read anything about Ridley being the WR2 in this offense because I agree, he runs great routes, gets great separation, and with Julio on the other side, I think he can achieve AT LEAST what Sanu did last year.

Primary offense for Atlanta is three wide receiver set with Sanu in the slot.  Ridley out wide opposite Julio Jones.

Kid will be on the field, but third in line for targets, at best.

If either Julio or Sanu miss time, Ridley could become a bigger factor.  I think he is a bench stash in deep leagues and a waiver wire watch in shallower leagues.

• Like 1

Cool. He wasn't very good in the first place and now he's the WR3 on his own team. Sanu is locked up through 2020. Best case scenario is Julio bites the dust, Ridley shows out and boosts his value. WR31 in dynasty is absurd. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 8:39 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Primary offense for Atlanta is three wide receiver set with Sanu in the slot.  Ridley out wide opposite Julio Jones.

Kid will be on the field, but third in line for targets, at best.

If either Julio or Sanu miss time, Ridley could become a bigger factor.  I think he is a bench stash in deep leagues and a waiver wire watch in shallower leagues.

Whats has Sanu done in is his career to make you think Ridley can't be the number 2 option for Atl??  Sanu has never cracked 800 yds.  Ridley should come in and be the 2nd option 

• Like 1

Sanu is no great shakes but he's a veteran and the Atlanta CS really likes Sanu.  I recall games that Julio Jones missed where Sanu played a pretty big role.

I don't think Ridley is going to breeze past Sanu quite so easily, even if Ridley is more talented.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sanu is no great shakes but he's a veteran and the Atlanta CS really likes Sanu.  I recall games that Julio Jones missed where Sanu played a pretty big role.

I don't think Ridley is going to breeze past Sanu quite so easily, even if Ridley is more talented.

Atlanta's going to run a ton of 3-WR like most other teams. Ridley and Sanu are going to see the field a lot, so if I believe the talent is better I'm willing to believe that Sanu isn't a major obstacle. And that is how I feel about it personally. I'm not too worried about Sanu. 

Edited by taobball

Ridley needs to stay healthy this offseason and do work with Matty ice and learn the book and where to be and I think he can bounce Sanu pretty easily for #2 in targets. 

I'm getting a bit tired of these hyped WRs getting hurt in the offseason. I wanna see how they do with no built in excuses. 

Every team runs heavy 3 WR now. I don't think ridley is here to remove Sanu, just reduce his impact on the game. I'm planting my flag on him being this years Juju. 

4 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Lol. Absolutely unreal. My post directly above this says "this dude better stay healthy. I'm tired of all these hyped WRs getting hurt and not doing anything."

I better remove my planted flag from the back of this losers leg now. 

Mike Williams 2017 AKA Dead 2 Me

28 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Lol. Absolutely unreal. My post directly above this says "this dude better stay healthy. I'm tired of all these hyped WRs getting hurt and not doing anything."

As a Falcons fan, let me just say: you're a d*ck.

Now predict his quick recovery!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Quinn said they were minor. 

1 hour ago, HarambeLives said:

Quinn said they were minor. 

Lol. Like Mike Williams? 

This is shaping up to be a movie I have watched before. We'll see if there's a different ending though.

I really liked this guy and the Falcons as his landing spot. No training camp and work in this offense with the 1s though means he's not even gonna overtake Sanu as the secondary focus on this offense probably. 

We'll see I guess. 

You should be avoiding over-hyped rookie WRs in redraft in general... dynasty is a bit of a different story but I’d prefer to trade for him after he underwhelms lofty expectations in his rookie and/or sophomore season(s). Hopefully this isn’t another Kevin White/Breshad Perriman scenario.

17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Lol. Like Mike Williams? 

This is shaping up to be a movie I have watched before. We'll see if there's a different ending though.

I really liked this guy and the Falcons as his landing spot. No training camp and work in this offense with the 1s though means he's not even gonna overtake Sanu as the secondary focus on this offense probably. 

We'll see I guess. 

Guess he is practicing......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm back in on the Calvin ridley hype. 

False alarm. 

I just don’t see anything special about him, enlighten me. 

2 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

I just don’t see anything special about him, enlighten me. 

I talked about him in like the 3rd post on here and a bunch more in the rookie WR thread. 

looks like hes had some issues with drops in the preseason, but should get some nice looks lining up opposite julio, no?  surprised theres not more talk around this kid....

I think he'll be a better real life football player than fantasy player this year and his real potential will come in a 1-2 years. Hes a talented guy though

Posted (edited)

Yeah I took him with one of my later picks. Receiver is a tougher position to transition to from college to NFL but I can see him come on more towards the playoffs. 

Edited by Gohawks