nine9s

Calvin Ridley 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Cleveland is hurting in their secondary, Atlanta’s receivers should feast this week.

Really? Please share details if you can.

9 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Really? Please share details if you can.

The Browns lost starting cornerback Terrance Mitchell with a fractured forearm earlier this season. He is expected to return from the Injured Reserve later this season. In the meantime, the Browns could be forced to make some temporary moves. Only three cornerbacks - Denzel Rice, Tavierre Thomas and TJ Carrie - on the roster are considered healthy. Damarious Randall and Briean Boddy-Calhoun each have the background to play the position in a pinch.

(Via 247sports.com)

EDIT: Also just saw that the Browns signed former Chiefs cornerback Phillip Gaines moments ago.

Edited by jagsfan05
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Where do we think he ranks this week? On paper the matchup looks ridiculously good. 

He doesn't get consistent targets. So regardless of how ridiculous a matchup may look he's been on the outside looking in as far as involvement.

I'm forced to start him this week but I don't feel particularly great about it. CLE has had breakdowns to be sure but is still at least an AVG defense. They're at home in 30-degree temps - hell Ryan is as much a concern as anyone imo.

Highest I'll predict: 50-60 yards, 50% TD 

He’s ranked in the 20’s. But with CLE DBs banged up, he’s almost a must start. Sanu is still having hip issues too. Sanu was a DNP today, but he’s expected to play.

Big CR game coming fellas.

14 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

He doesn't get consistent targets. So regardless of how ridiculous a matchup may look he's been on the outside looking in as far as involvement.

I'm forced to start him this week but I don't feel particularly great about it. CLE has had breakdowns to be sure but is still at least an AVG defense. They're at home in 30-degree temps - hell Ryan is as much a concern as anyone imo.

Highest I'll predict: 50-60 yards, 50% TD 

People are basing it on that three game stretch where his points were low. He’s actually been getting consistent targets as a #2. He’s surpassed Sanu in that offense. I watch every game. He went out early in the Tampa game due to injury and he had three targets in the first quarter. He didn’t return. The game against the Giants he was playing injured, but they were desperate for a win so he played to be a decoy for the most part. They had the bye then he came back against the Skins healed and ready to produce again. The numbers reflect that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jtbgator said:

He’s ranked in the 20’s. But with CLE DBs banged up, he’s almost a must start. Sanu is still having hip issues too. Sanu was a DNP today, but he’s expected to play.

Big CR game coming fellas.

Good call re; Sanu. I was just gonna post something similar. 

I really like Ridley this week. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

People are basing it on that three game stretch where his points were low. He’s actually been getting consistent targets as a #2. He’s surpassed Sanu in that offense. I watch every game. He went out early in the Tampa game due to injury and he had three targets in the first quarter. He didn’t return. The game against the Giants he was playing injured, but they were desperate for a win so he played to be a decoy for the most part. They had the bye then he came back against the Skins healed and ready to produce again. The numbers reflect that. 

LOVE your post. Makes me feel a lot better owning him.

Biggest concern for me is if the Falcons get up early (and they end up being rushing TD's), and resort to not having to throw the ball as much in the second half.  As long as we can get him a TD or 2 out the gate then everything will be fine, always prefer games that have to be played well into 4th quarter though.  Hope Cleveland can put up some points.

3 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Biggest concern for me is if the Falcons get up early (and they end up being rushing TD's), and resort to not having to throw the ball as much in the second half.  As long as we can get him a TD or 2 out the gate then everything will be fine, always prefer games that have to be played well into 4th quarter though.  Hope Cleveland can put up some points.

Browns hung around KC just enough to make KC keep scoring etc so I imagine this game won't become a blowout.  If the Browns can't stop T.C though it probably won't be a huge Ridley day without breaking off a big play TD. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

I think CLE will hang around. ATL defense is terrible. Most experts are calling Baker as a sleeper this week. Plus the game is in CLE.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RoboFroogs said:

Where do we think he ranks this week? On paper the matchup looks ridiculously good. 

Mid to high teens.  Hopkins, Thielen , Diggs , Sanders all on bye so that moves him up a few spots. Id have him around 15 this week.

Good or bad for Ridley?

Browns CB Denzel Ward (hip) returned to practice on Thursday.

Ward exited Week 9 with a hip injury but his presence at Thursday's practice suggests he's already on the mend. If he suits up for Sunday's game with Atlanta, it would be a downgrade for Julio Jones.

Just now, jtbgator said:

Good or bad for Ridley?

Browns CB Denzel Ward (hip) returned to practice on Thursday.

Ward exited Week 9 with a hip injury but his presence at Thursday's practice suggests he's already on the mend. If he suits up for Sunday's game with Atlanta, it would be a downgrade for Julio Jones.

Both, maybe? He plays and Julio gets the tougher assignment, but Ridley also gets a tougher assignment with whomever the CB2 is. He doesn't play and Julio plays a weaker assignment, which might make Ryan want to throw to him more often, but at the same time Ridley gets a CB3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

Both, maybe? He plays and Julio gets the tougher assignment, but Ridley also gets a tougher assignment with whomever the CB2 is. He doesn't play and Julio plays a weaker assignment, which might make Ryan want to throw to him more often, but at the same time Ridley gets a CB3. 

Anyone know if Ward is a shutdown guy? Like Rhodes or Slay? If so, could open up more for Ridley?

38 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Anyone know if Ward is a shutdown guy? Like Rhodes or Slay? If so, could open up more for Ridley?

Ward is not a shutdown guy yet, he’s more of a playmaker (think more Josh Norman, less Xavier Rhodes).  He makes mistakes, but is good at creating turnovers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Cle as a whole is pretty average against WR1, slightly better against #2's but with the injuries who knows. I like this spot for Ridley. Also, I don't think Julio suffers a bad game here, they should both be in line for decent games and some elite WR's have had some success against Ward. Namely AB.... but he's AB. 

Ward has a decent coverage rating, has broken up 5, allowed 5 TD's, 1 INT. Every metric (catch rate, burn rate, yds of separation allowed, etc) really shows he's decent but not shut down by any stretch. I don't imagine he locks down Julio. 

As for Ridley this week..... that position is just shredded by injury + a cut made this week that it would be difficult not to imagine him finding some success, even though the numbers below don't show them hemhorraging huge games consistently to that spot.

I'm just adding this for ya'll to see, the constant has been Ward on #1's with a rotating cast against #2s
Here's Look at #'1's and #2's against CLE with some TE #'s for reference. On the whole, they've been good against TE, Kelce murdered them. 

week 6: Keenan 4/62/0

Ty 3/118/2

week 7: Evans 7/107/0

Desean 2/25/0

TE: 5/67

week 8: Antonio 8/74/2

JuJu 4/33/0

TE: 3/47/0

week 9: Tyreek 4/69/0

Sammy 5/62/0
TE: 7/99/2

I don't know if this helps anyone but I had the information handy so I wanted to share it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think there's been a shake up in Cleveland's secondary recently. Looks like he'll get CJ Carrie mainly in coverage. What's the story on him? Any good? 

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Think there's been a shake up in Cleveland's secondary recently. Looks like he'll get CJ Carrie mainly in coverage. What's the story on him? Any good? 

Played in a lot of packages most weeks, 90% of snaps last week and was pretty serviceable. Metrics are actually quite good but limited sample. Wouldn’t change my opinion of starting Ridley if I was planning on doing so. 

5 minutes ago, VIKEVIKE77 said:

Played in a lot of packages most weeks, 90% of snaps last week and was pretty serviceable. Metrics are actually quite good but limited sample. Wouldn’t change my opinion of starting Ridley if I was planning on doing so. 

Thanks man. 'Preciate it. 

BTW, where you gettin' this stuff from?

6 hours ago, jtbgator said:

I think you're asking if Ward will shadow Julio.  I believe the answer is yes.  Maybe not 100%, but a good percentage of the snaps he will.  This should be a good opportunity for Ridley.

FFG blurb 

CLE - CB Denzel Ward, OLB Jamie Collins back at practice

Source: ProFootballTalk.com - Josh Alper

Cleveland Browns CB Denzel Ward (hip) and LB Jamie Collins (ankle) returned to practice Thursday, Nov. 8, a day after sitting out with hip and ankle injuries, respectively.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

This could help stem the tide against a surging Falcons offense. If Ward plays, Calvin Ridley becomes a better play with the likely easier matchup in the secondary. Most everything should work for the Falcons offense this week regardless.

Just bought in. I can’t seem to find his snap count numbers. I remember before they were on the lower side.