herschel

John Hicks 2018 Outlook

20 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

What do people make of this guy in leagues he isn't Catcher eligible? In ESPN he is simply a 1B, which is quite a deep position, but he has been on fire nonetheless. 

Is Hicks another launch angle guy whose breaking out later in life, or just a flash in the pan? His LA is over 17 degrees right now, which is almost 10 degrees higher than his cup of coffee in the MLB last year. His FB% is also up over 48%. His BABIP is quite high, but his HR/FB rate is reasonable.  

This is all SSS, but if there is a LA change this dude could be a big time sleeper. Anyone else have any insight or news on this?

I don’t know, but I really wish he’d get 3 more appearances at catcher...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 9703 said:

I don’t know, but I really wish he’d get 3 more appearances at catcher...

I second that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

What do people make of this guy in leagues he isn't Catcher eligible? In ESPN he is simply a 1B, which is quite a deep position, but he has been on fire nonetheless. 

Is Hicks another launch angle guy whose breaking out later in life, or just a flash in the pan? His LA is over 17 degrees right now, which is almost 10 degrees higher than his cup of coffee in the MLB last year. His FB% is also up over 48%. His BABIP is quite high, but his HR/FB rate is reasonable.  

This is all SSS, but if there is a LA change this dude could be a big time sleeper. Anyone else have any insight or news on this?

And his hard% is currently @ 50%. Dude is smoking the ball. I picked him up last night based off  some of the stuff here you've posted, which I read from  FanGraphs, and I'm always intrigued when I see a Hard% in the 40's, this dude is sitting at 50 right now. So, yeah, I said, What the hell, considering in my league he has catcher eligibility like some other leagues.

Edited by Z06vette
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

And his hard% is currently @ 50%. Dude is smoking the ball. I picked him up last night based off  some of the stuff here you've posted, which I read from  FanGraphs, and I'm always intrigued when I see a Hard% in the 40's, this dude is sitting at 50 right now. So, yeah, I said, What the hell, considering in my league he has catcher eligibility like some other leagues.

Chances are I pick Hicks up even if he wasn't eligible at catcher.

Forgive me for not seeing isn't catcher eligible till after I posted a response. I was hoping to get this in with my other post, looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. 

When Miggy is back what is the pt situayijngoing to be? 

2 hours ago, chud12 said:

When Miggy is back what is the pt situayijngoing to be? 

Good question, all that own him would like the answer to that question,

Best case would be that Miggy would DH, Martinez would be benched,

or released, he's 39, in the last year of his contract, is no long a viable

option, Hicks could be tried in one of the corner OF position, and catch

once or twice a week. Hicks should play a least 5 times per week, this

is just my opinion, yes, I own Hicks, and I might be slightly bias, just

don't see him returning to the bench.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Has he started at catcher at all this year or is he moving to the position mid-game? I didn't notice him catch at all in the Seattle series. Locked into 1st until Miggy comes back I guess

Edited by Joesh

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Has he started at catcher at all this year or is he moving to the position mid-game? I didn't notice him catch at all in the Seattle series. Locked into 1st until Miggy comes back I guess

He has started (7) at catcher ... he was the backup to McCann before Miggy was injured

Edited by shakestreet

56 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

Parties over?

I need Miggy to get hurt again...

Only two starts and 10 AB in the last five days, but I'd think he's pretty much a guarantee to start at least one game at catcher today. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Only two starts and 10 AB in the last five days, but I'd think he's pretty much a guarantee to start at least one game at catcher today. 

I agree and am starting him (also half the league is not playing so it's an easy call).

My concern is PT during the ROS.  This guy hit pretty well in his time starting everyday and now it looks like he'll take a back seat to Miggy at 1B, VMart at DH, and McCann at C.  Any Tigers fans have insight here?  Is he straight drop material now?

On 6/4/2018 at 9:29 AM, En Votto Veritas said:

I agree and am starting him (also half the league is not playing so it's an easy call).

My concern is PT during the ROS.  This guy hit pretty well in his time starting everyday and now it looks like he'll take a back seat to Miggy at 1B, VMart at DH, and McCann at C.  Any Tigers fans have insight here?  Is he straight drop material now?

Getting very close. I might give it another few days just to see if another injury pop up but he appears worthless at present if his PT the last several days is a trend.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, SuperJoint said:

Getting very close. I might give it another few days just to see if another injury pop up but he appears worthless at present if his PT the last several days is a trend.

Nah just one.

Cashed out my chips - going catcherless again as I was before I thought Hicks was "the savior".

There's always tomorrow...

I dropped him Tuesday. He served his purpose while Molina was out. Coincidentally his playing times goes way down about the same Molina comes back. 

Ok fellas. Is he must own now in leagues where he is catcher eligible?

9 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Ok fellas. Is he must own now in leagues where he is catcher eligible?

Yes. He’ll be the regular 1b rest of season..... the tigers don’t have anything behind him at 1b and the corpse of Vmart isn’t sliding to 1b from DH to make room for Christian Stewart

So if Hicks is the starting 1B for the rest of the season, what kind of numbers should we expect? Does he play everyday and become a top 10 catcher in fantasy...or is he JAG?

As much as I hate to see Miggy go down (he was one of my favorite hitters to watch play the game), this injury has to mean good things for Hicks who will now be starting almost every game.  Projecting him out this season he'd end around 80 - 20 - 90 - .285 - .320.  That's easy money from the C position this year.  Personally, I think he'll regress a bit and think that, barring injury, he could end around 75 - 20 - 75 - .265 - .320.  Roster worthy for sure.

Definitely roster worthy just based on the fact he's C-eligible (even in ESPN now) and will get basically full PT at 1B. There are plenty of catchers out there that produce fairly well on a per game basis, but never play enough to be fantasy relevant (see ATL platoon). 

Even assuming a drop off in production rate, he's going to get high volume ABs, and likely in a prime RBI part of the lineup given how weak their lineup is (5th last night, which would likely be 4th without Miggy now). As long as he keeps a semi respectable AVG / OBP then he will fall into counting stats just because of where he hits. 

And that's all assuming he regresses, which he may not by much. BABIP looks a little high on the surface, but he's always been a higher BABIP guy, averaging around .340 throughout his MiLB and MLB career. He also has a 40+% Hard hit rate and only an 18% Soft contact rate, so he's hitting the ball on the screws. His launch angle isn't ideal, but he hits the ball hard and equally to all parts of the field, which is usually a recipe for success. And if he does start lifting the ball more then a HR binge could fall in your lap. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I going to start him over Contreras. Their stats are no different...

Perfect set it and forget it guy for your C spot in a Roto league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

So if Hicks is the starting 1B for the rest of the season, what kind of numbers should we expect? Does he play everyday and become a top 10 catcher in fantasy...or is he JAG?

I used him in a fleaflicker league when Yadier went down ... Yadier came back Hicks started sitting so I dropped Hicks

Miggy went out May 4th-31st

Hicks for the month of May was 304/354/451 ... his counting stats were 15/3/14/0

He could win some leagues this year. Never, ever thought I’d say that about John Hicks but getting his production at the catcher spot is huge, especially considering what his owners had at C prior to him.