herschel

John Hicks 2018 Outlook

I have Yadi but I feel like Hicks could outperform him b/c he'll play every day. 

9 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

As much as I hate to see Miggy go down (he was one of my favorite hitters to watch play the game), this injury has to mean good things for Hicks who will now be starting almost every game.  Projecting him out this season he'd end around 80 - 20 - 90 - .285 - .320.  That's easy money from the C position this year.  Personally, I think he'll regress a bit and think that, barring injury, he could end around 75 - 20 - 75 - .265 - .320.  Roster worthy for sure.

I don't see how he gets to 20 HR. He has never been on pace for 20 HR over any 600 AB stretch in his professional career. Even now, his pace dictates that he'll have to reach 604 AB to hit 20 homers. I think 15 could be a reasonable expectation, but I'd pretty much cap it at that. The Tigers have 94 games left. If he continues his current pace with a little BA regression, we could probably look for another 10 HR, 45 RBI, 40 runs...which puts him at 61-15-67. 

Now I could be wrong. Maybe he explodes playing everyday at 1B. If he does, I'll gladly accept it :). 

Will he catch any more this season?  I still need more starts for him to be eligible in my league.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

Will he catch any more this season?  I still need more starts for him to be eligible in my league.

Only in an emergency I would guess

13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't see how he gets to 20 HR. He has never been on pace for 20 HR over any 600 AB stretch in his professional career. Even now, his pace dictates that he'll have to reach 604 AB to hit 20 homers. I think 15 could be a reasonable expectation, but I'd pretty much cap it at that. The Tigers have 94 games left. If he continues his current pace with a little BA regression, we could probably look for another 10 HR, 45 RBI, 40 runs...which puts him at 61-15-67. 

Now I could be wrong. Maybe he explodes playing everyday at 1B. If he does, I'll gladly accept it :). 

Sorry I wasn't clear. My projection was for a full 600 AB season. Agreed that he doesn't reach those numbers this year. I like your call there at 61-15-67. 

Dude is worth it just to see your C play every day. Rolling with the ATL platoon though.

Dinger off of Lopez who has been rolling the last couple starts. With Cabrera done and having C eligibility this guy could be huge ROS. For me right now I'm playing this guy over someone like Contreras 

It's pretty funny you mention starting him over Contreras because I was contemplating that today in my weekly league.  I made the switch then moved Contreras back because I didn't want to be kicking myself for taking him out. 

2 hours ago, Kablooy said:

It's pretty funny you mention starting him over Contreras because I was contemplating that today in my weekly league.  I made the switch then moved Contreras back because I didn't want to be kicking myself for taking him out. 

I just did the same thing - picked up Hicks and benched Contreras. But I am in a daily league, so I can leave Contreras on the bench until he does something and not miss out on too much...

He's unlikely to give us great counting stats on a per game basis. But he's going to play virtually every game. With catcher eligibility. That's huge in roto leagues. I think he's somehow still being undervalued. 

On 6/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, St3v3k4hn said:

I just did the same thing - picked up Hicks and benched Contreras. But I am in a daily league, so I can leave Contreras on the bench until he does something and not miss out on too much...

And he’s gone 1 for 13 with zeros across the board since I posted this 😒

• Haha 1

The "upside" to me playing Hicks over Contreras was that Contreras only had 9 points to Hicks' 1 in my leagues scoring.  At least Contreras didn't have a career week leaving me gnashing my teeth.

I am starting Hicks over Contreras again this week.  Hicks is facing a lot of lefties and he hits lefties well and Contreras has some pretty tough match-ups. 

Fingers are crossed!

3 Bombs hitting leadoff. Ok let's put Gardner back up there smfh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TTRA1N said:

Wish it were so, think you want a different Hicks

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

:mellow:

52 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

taking over closer's role for Norris soon, too

this guy can do it all

• Like 3

On another note, looks like he is no longer the everyday 1B.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Why? Did DET acquire another 1B?

17 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Why do you say that?

They brought up a 1B from AAA, and sent down their third catcher.  Looks to me like he has reverted to backup catcher.

1 minute ago, Mongeese said:

They brought up a 1B from AAA, and sent down their third catcher.  Looks to me like he has reverted to backup catcher.

What 1B? I don't see him in their transactions list on mlb.com. I can't find anything saying they called up either Espinal or Huffman. And even if they did, I don't believe either is going to supplant Hicks from 1B. 

Wow... every rebuilding club needs a 33 year old journeyman taking playing away from young  and better players. Surprised it took them this long. SMH.

2 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Called up Jim Adduci. 33 years old. Hicks has been fine. No reason for this. 

Adduci is listed as the RF on the Mud Hens' roster. In his MLB career, he's played 7 games at 1B and 62 in the OF. He's played 10 games at 1B for Toledo this year (only 1 last year) and 48 in the OF. 

I personally think this does nothing to Hicks.