• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
kidtwentytwo

Freddy Peralta 2018 Outlook

58 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Quite a SSS. That is like 2 games. Unless you are taking about seeing hitters a 2nd time through the lineup? I took it as facing a team a 2nd time. 

Yeah, I meant seeing them in a second game, and I agree it's sss, but I thought I'd present it here and see if it holds up, not sure if these players are going back and looking at their own tape but not looking at other tapes?

5 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Domingo German is so last week

Yep Freddie is the new hot girl on the block who gets to screw our ratios next!

• Like 1

Adam McCalvay

Freddy Peralta’s next start is on the books. Brewers probables for series at Target Field against the Twins: 

Friday: Suter
Saturday: Peralta
Sunday: Guerra

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Control issues came out today. 

Is he a hold at this point? 

He did have a flash of brilliance when he struck out 3 batters on 12 pitches in the third inning.

You don't want to be in a situation where you have to rely on him to start, but there's definitely some upside if you can hold him on your bench for a bit.

He looked lost out there tonight.  When he was missing, it wasn't even close.  With that in mind, if you thought he was worth a go before this then I'd probably give him at least one more start but I might leave him on my bench for it.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:05 PM, swfcdan said:

Yep Freddie is the new hot girl on the block who gets to screw our ratios next!

Nailed it. Who’s the next new hot girl?

10 minutes ago, Braves16 said:

Abort!

It was his 2nd game.  4 ER in 4 IP with 5 SO isn't exactly a killer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Waker said:

pretty much every pitcher thread besides the super elite guys is like this. It's sad and very unueseful that pitchers get evaluated off one start.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

The 6 walks after having control issues in the minors is what has me concerned. 

And that's what will probably prevent him from being better than a SP 3 or 4.  But the K's were still there and it wasn't an absolute disaster for a 2nd start.  And if he can fix the walks somewhat who knows what he can be.  He's only 21.

Edited by The Waker

I'm also moving on.  Too many options out there and he won't be lined up for a two-start week for a while and that's even if he sticks.

3 minutes ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

Glad I didn't start him but I still feel like a moron picking him up, even though I only did just in case he was legit 

Gotta take shots.  

• Like 2

He had no control from the get go.  It changes the entire game - batters can be super patient.  He still was making some hitters swings look foolish.

I'm definitely paying attention to one more start before I cut bait

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

pretty much every pitcher thread besides the super elite guys is like this. It's sad and very unueseful that pitchers get evaluated off one start.

To be fair, it doesn't take that long to tell that a guy has no idea where the ball is going.

Posted (edited)

is he staying up or being sent back down?

EDIT (just saw this) 

Adam McCalvyVerified account @AdamMcCalvy 2h2 hours ago
Freddy Peralta walked the leadoff man in four of the five innings in which he pitched. Five strikeouts today for Peralta in what might be his final Brewers start for a while with Anderson/Davies coming back from DL.
Edited by WTP333

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cs3 said:

To be fair, it doesn't take that long to tell that a guy has no idea where the ball is going.

I believe a few starts ago someone in the pivetta thread said something like "it's clear this guy has no business being a pitcher, it would be clear if you watched today's start like I did "

He's had a good and excellent start since.

Sometimes pitchers don't have it on a day. I have no shares of this guy, just find this sort of "drop him he's a bum" after one start not helpful to anyone really.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

In general I agree, but if you picked him up as a streamer, well....

It's not like the control issues are unexpected either. His problems today are exactly in line with the problems he's had at every single stop since A ball. Serious control issues like he has generally get exposed pretty quickly at the MLB level, and can't be covered up by lots of K's like they can at lower levels.

Sometimes pitchers don't have it on a day

Conversely, sometimes everything just happens to go the pitchers way on a day. Sun directly in the batters eyes, slumping lineup, flu bug going around, etc. It goes both ways - 13 K performance definitely gets everyones attention, but so should his use of a location randomizer

Edited by cs3

Posted (edited)

Seriously, if you have a roster spot to churn, I don’t think you’ll be regretting dropping the guy, but to say he’s a bum, or he was terrible, or whatever e c, is just plain foolish.  Again, did anyone actually watch his start or did you just do a quick box score check in?  He was filthy.  He’s had some control issues throughout his career to date (like most, young k pitchers), so this is not unexpected in the least.  The strike zone was a little tighter tonight on both sides, the wind was brutal, and it was cold.  He made two bad mistakes with a heater down the middle that was smoked for a 2 run tater, and another for a two run double.  That was basically it.  He had exactly one fly ball out.  I think there were a ton of positives here.  Most of the walks were on 3-2 counts at least.  He reminds me a lot of Reynaldo Lopez.  If he can harness his stuff, he has really nice upside here, but at the moment they are probably both fringe 14 teamers with considerable dynasty upside.   

Edited by ShaneMT31
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Waker said:

The 6 walks is what is the most troubling part of it. That coupled with him just being a fill in for a sick Chase Anderson likely equals Peralta heading back down after this one. 

Redraft he's likely a drop now, until at least he comes back up later in the year. 

7 minutes ago, ShaneMT31 said:

He reminds me a lot of Reynaldo Lopez.

Not sure I follow...

Honestly that should be a reason to cut bait, not hold him.

Lopez was called up 3 years ago and has basically been unrosterable since. Even this year, when his current line doesnt look awful, he's still been pretty terrible. Still doesn't strike anyone out, bad walk rate, and SIERA and FIP both over 5 and as terrible as ever. How many years arw you planning to hokd Freddy?

If that's all the reason you need to give a young pitcher an extended spot on your roster, then there are literally dozens of guys in the high minors you shoukd pick up who can do exactly what Lopez has done in the majors.

Exposed.

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Not sure I follow...

Honestly that should be a reason to cut bait, not hold him.

Lopez was called up 3 years ago and has basically been unrosterable since. Even this year, when his current line doesnt look awful, he's still been pretty terrible. Still doesn't strike anyone out, bad walk rate, and SIERA and FIP both over 5 and as terrible as ever. How many years arw you planning to hokd Freddy?

If that's all the reason you need to give a young pitcher an extended spot on your roster, then there are literally dozens of guys in the high minors you shoukd pick up who can do exactly what Lopez has done in the majors.

Did you miss the part where I said, “fringe 14 teamers w dynasty upside?”