kidtwentytwo

Freddy Peralta 2018 Outlook

My point was that comparing him to Lopez is an indictment, not praise.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:42 AM, meh2 said:

Nailed it. Who’s the next new hot girl?

Zach Efflin. That's if you can call her, umm I mean him hot.

5 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Any word on if he is getting another start? 

sent down today :( hoping he can get another start sometime this year, but he could use the time to work on other pitches

6 minutes ago, bestbuyofficemax said:

sent down today :( hoping he can get another start sometime this year, but he could use the time to work on other pitches

giphy.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bestbuyofficemax said:

He had 4 pitches if you count his two seam and four seam - he just seems to be inaccurately accurate

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 5:08 PM, jahweedum said:

He had 4 pitches if you count his two seam and four seam - he just seems to be inaccurately accurate

He only threw fastballs though,  86% Off his pitches to be exact... his curve he threw only 11.7% and change up 1.7%... That's not enough. All he did was throw fastballs, not going to fly in the majors. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 12:46 AM, cs3 said:

My point was that comparing him to Lopez is an indictment, not praise.

How’s that indictment workin out for you?  How many starting pitchers have gone 8 scoreless this year, in the entire league?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ShaneMT31 said:

How’s that indictment workin out for you?  How many starting pitchers have gone 8 scoreless this year, in the entire league?

One start huh?  You really want to go there?

Yes, let's evaluate a pitcher based on a single start rather than the entirety of his underwhelming career.

FYI in case you missed it, Peralta isn't even in the majors anymore. So in that regard maybe you're right - being more like Lopez would be great!

Edited by cs3

Reminds me of Tony Cingrani... good fastball but nothing else that's effective or willing to throw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

One start huh?  You really want to go there?

Yes, let's evaluate a pitcher based on a single start rather than the entirety of his underwhelming career.

FYI in case you missed it, Peralta isn't even in the majors anymore. So in that regard maybe you're right - being more like Lopez would be great!

A 24 yr old having an underwhelming career lol.  Seriously how old are you?  It sometimes takes players Year’s  to breakout.  Look at freaking Charlie Morton?!  You can teach maturity and you can learn how to “pitch.”  Can’t teach stuff and Reynaldo and Freddy have it.

Oh and this hasn’t been one start.  I’d say if you can do this for 9 starts, you have some pretty decent upside.

2.98 9 9 0 54.1 39 1.16

Hes also 24 and Peralta is 21.  So my comparison will stand.

Thats great. Way to completely miss the point. 

The entire reason for my initial post is that its taken nearly 3 years since Lopez' debut to have any any fantasy relevance... He was terrible for over 2 years. So what you're comp was saying is that Peralta wont be fantasy relevant this year, and probably not next year either. It was also a lazy comp for other reasons, such as the huge disparity in K rate between the two, pitch mix, FB/GB ratio etc.

And like I mentioned, Lopez has NOT been good this year. All you seem to look at is his shiny ERA, but thats almost all the reault of good luck. He has a terrible K rate, terrible BB rate, and allows too many HR's. His FIP and SIERA both hover around 5 on the year.

If you think his ERA will stay under 3, or even under 4 the rest of the year you will probably be pretty disappointed.

And hoping that Peralta can be Reynaldo Lopez is just a really low bar to set. I'd hope for his own sake and fantasy owners sake alike, that he can be better than that.

• Like 1

Will Freddy get the call up if the Brewers need another SP or even another spot start? He through 5 scoreless innings with 8 ks in his only aaa games since the demotion 

On 5/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, Ja21 said:

Will Freddy get the call up if the Brewers need another SP or even another spot start? He through 5 scoreless innings with 8 ks in his only aaa games since the demotion 

Yes next Tuesday

odds he stays?

Probably getting the call Tuesday to Pitch @ PNC park, worth another shot? Is he simply streamer material or actually rosterable??

Yeah, tough call based on what he’s done so far in the big leagues, one amazing start and one awful start. A gamble for sure. Is it supposed to just be a single spot start or can he stick around?

On 5/21/2018 at 5:08 PM, jahweedum said:

On 5/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, StevieStats said:

He only threw fastballs though,  86% Off his pitches to be exact... his curve he threw only 11.7% and change up 1.7%... That's not enough. All he did was throw fastballs, not going to fly in the majors. 

This. For one, it obviously depends on what we’re talking about, but in general classifying a 4-Seam and 2-Seam as “two pitches” is a fallacy when we’re talking about an arsenal. The whole point of what someone throws is giving more diverse looks to hitters. Yeah a 4 and 2 seam fastball are different, but they don’t alter the look for the hitter the same way a pitch that is actually DIFFERENT does. 

I also dont really consider a pitch until it gets at least close to 10%. Throwing two or three of a pitch in a start does not count as a viable third offering. 

• Like 1

I'm starting him in a very deep 12-team NL-only.  He's been pretty lights out in AAA since he got sent down.  In my opinion, if he limits the walks he should get a QS or better, if not he's likely to get lit up.  He's been limiting his walks so far in AAA during the interim, and the only things that would lead to that not continuing are (a) nerves or (b) better / more patient hitters.  I'm betting on a good outing but whether or not you think he can maintain control should determine whether you start him or not.

47 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Is he supposed to stay up this time or is this just a spot start or 2?

He's supposed to be up until Zach Davies returns from injury.

Davies started a rehab assignment tonight in Colorado Springs. He only threw 1.2 innings, 31 pitches. Don't know if that was the plan or if he aggravated something, but either way he's likely to need some more work before he comes back.

• Like 1

Pitched great tonight, should definitely buy him another start or 2 and allow them to not rush Davies back. I'm obviously holding in my keeper league and until he falters/gets sent down he's gotta be a hold in any league. If he pitches well n gets sent down due to roster constraints i still think he's a hold bc they'll make room for him. Situations like that always tend to work themselves out, when a young arm pitches well its usually very easy to find him starts.

So far, so good on the Freddy Peralta hype-train... Allllllll aboard!

42 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

So far, so good on the Freddy Peralta hype-train... Allllllll aboard!

That was the exact same sentiment at start #1 last time he came up ... then he had to make start #2 .....

Rooting for him - top of my watch list - especially being on a winning team with K potential, but being very cautious