Sign in to follow this  
Joesh

Daniel Descalso 2018 Outlook

Time to look at this guy?

Ignoring everything else, he's locked into 2nd in a stacked Arizona lineup right now, giving him a ton of R and RBI opportunities.

He's a utility bat and he should find a spot in the lineup even when Jake Lamb comes back. Maybe he takes over Ketel Marte's spot.

Diving in deeper: 

12% BB%, 22% K%, both in line with career numbers.
AVG/OBP are at 260/350, both about 20 points higher than career average, due to a slightly raised BABIP (300), vs 290 for his career.

Main boost is in the slugging department. He's slugging 505 right now, over 100 points above his career average of 366 (he slugged 395 and 424 in 2017 and 2016 respectively). This boost comes largely from a large number of doubles (8), compared to 16 he hit last year in 4 times as many games as he played this year. He also has 4 homers (10 last year).

His hitting profile appears to have changed drastically, which to me supports the increased amount of doubles. 

Here is his LD/GB/FB #s last year"
18/39/43
And now this year:
23/27/49

So he's hitting less ground balls and more line drives. His HR/FB numbers are much different than they usually are, but it seems like he has increased his launch angle some, given that he is hitting more liners. I think this new profile supports his new power surge - what do you think?

Probably a better pickup in leagues that have OPS or give some value to doubles/triples.

• Like 3

He's a Matt Lisle coached swing changer.  That alone has my attn. Buy into the changes,  they didn't happen by accident.  

Great info.  If you're a grieving Cano owner like me and need a 2b or MI, you could do worse than Descalso.  He's also eligible at 3b and OF so he can fill in at those positions in a pinch as well.  The only thing I'm not digging is he seems to not hit lefties all that well though he's got 2 hrs against lefties so far this year.

• Like 1

As a Cardinal fan you had to suffer through years .650 OPS Descalso I find a fantasy thread on him hilarious. Even after reading that great post, my reaction is "Stahp..."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

As a Cardinal fan you had to suffer through years .650 OPS Descalso I find a fantasy thread on him hilarious. Even after reading that great post, my reaction is "Stahp..."

I get this take,  but don't discount the changes too much.  He goes to the same hitting coach that works with Haniger, amongst many others.  Those hard hit gains are real

• Like 2

https://www.rotoballer.com/draftkings-daily-fantasy-baseball-picks-5-16-18-mlb-dfs-lineups/499354

Daniel Descalso - 3B, vs MIL ($3,300)

Descalso is an extremely cheap option, who has been on fire over his last 10 games. Over that span, he's hitting .310 with a .586 slugging percentage and a 1.015 OPS. Overall, he has six extra-base hits and four RBIs in those games. He has also been a better hitter at home this season, and he's a great salary relief option in all leagues on this slate.

Edited by InMyBagYo

3 hours ago, InMyBagYo said:

https://www.rotoballer.com/draftkings-daily-fantasy-baseball-picks-5-16-18-mlb-dfs-lineups/499354

Daniel Descalso - 3B, vs MIL ($3,300)

Descalso is an extremely cheap option, who has been on fire over his last 10 games. Over that span, he's hitting .310 with a .586 slugging percentage and a 1.015 OPS. Overall, he has six extra-base hits and four RBIs in those games. He has also been a better hitter at home this season, and he's a great salary relief option in all leagues on this slate.

And with A.J Pollock on the mend for the next 4-8 weeks, he should get even more playing time, despite Lamb's imminent return. 

As weird as it sounds, this could be one of the swing changers that really breaks out. He homered again yesterday and was batting third for the DBacks following the Pollack injury. With his ability to play all over, it’s easy enough to see them keeping his bat in the lineup even if/when Lamb returns to push him off 3B. 

Ride the wave for now in deeper lesgues ... might as well. 

Move to the cleanup spot last night that could be permanent until Pollock comes back.  Definitely has value in deep leagues 

Also, the AZ manager has made an effort to find him a lot of opportunities.  He was useful in NL Only last year as well.  He's eligible at every position except Catcher in my league.  I'm very pleased having kept him.

Dropping his teammate Peralta for him due to his role and production as AZ’s clean up hitter.  Also, his position eligibility is a nice bonus. 

Not really sure what is going on with Descalso.  He's sat 2 days in a row now with Nick Ahmed at SS with his .693 OPS, and Ketel Marte at 2B - why not just play Marte at SS and Descalso at 2B?  Also with guys like Jarrod Dyson and Owings stinking it up in CF, while Jon Jay starts in a corner OF spot every day.  Again, why not shift Jay over to CF and play Descalso in RF?  What was the point of trading for Jon Jay 'to help with Pollock out' when you're still trotting out turds like Dyson and Owings in CF, and sending a better bat to the bench?

Descalso is hitting on a 90 R - 25 HR - 125 RBI pace over a full season's ABs, with a .271 AVG and .367 OBP.  And it's not like he's been cold recently - in the last 2 weeks his OBP has been .441, and he has 8 RBI in his last 7 games.  When he is in the lineup he's usually batting right in the heart of the order, so it isn't like the D-Backs don't value his bat.

What gives here - is there something I'm missing here?  I'm on the east coast so I don't see a lot of west coast baseball, but is his defense really that bad that he can't get regular AB's?  It's frustrating that he's hitting so well and has so much positional versatility, but still in and out of the lineup in spurts.

11 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Not really sure what is going on with Descalso.  He's sat 2 days in a row now with Nick Ahmed at SS with his .693 OPS, and Ketel Marte at 2B - why not just play Marte at SS and Descalso at 2B?  Also with guys like Jarrod Dyson and Owings stinking it up in CF, while Jon Jay starts in a corner OF spot every day.  Again, why not shift Jay over to CF and play Descalso in RF?  What was the point of trading for Jon Jay 'to help with Pollock out' when you're still trotting out turds like Dyson and Owings in CF, and sending a better bat to the bench?

Descalso is hitting on a 90 R - 25 HR - 125 RBI pace over a full season's ABs, with a .271 AVG and .367 OBP.  And it's not like he's been cold recently - in the last 2 weeks his OBP has been .441, and he has 8 RBI in his last 7 games.  When he is in the lineup he's usually batting right in the heart of the order, so it isn't like the D-Backs don't value his bat.

What gives here - is there something I'm missing here?  I'm on the east coast so I don't see a lot of west coast baseball, but is his defense really that bad that he can't get regular AB's?  It's frustrating that he's hitting so well and has so much positional versatility, but still in and out of the lineup in spurts.

He's older (31) and generally has been a career 4th Infielder.  his .882 F% in the OF last year and .833 this year are pretty bad, he's ok at 2nd (.960) and 3rd (.982) though but I think it's really more the former.  He's not viewed as a "long term" part of the team's plans and they're trying to maximize AB & experience for their younger guys in hopes that they can get better and carry the team in the future.

Dude has a sparkling 0.00 ERA and WHIP over his career.  The true swiss-army knife.

On a serious note, I get the angle of younger players being a bigger part of the future than Descalso.  But those are normally decisions reserved for rebuilding teams/situations in which the production is at least comparable.  Descalso has soundly outproduced (offensively) both Marte and Ahmed, though Marte has been much improved as of late.  This is also a D-Backs team with ambitions to contend now.  Their ace is aging along with many of their core guys (Goldschmidt/Peralta/Pollock).  I don't see them sacrificing wins in the short-term.

This leads me to believe it has to be the defensive shortcomings which have the team sitting Descalso.  If Marte can hold up at SS, having Marte at SS with Descalso at 2B seems the most ideal setup.  Perhaps Ahmed's defensive prowess (I can't speak to his defensive ability) has cemented his spot in the lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

He's older (31) and generally has been a career 4th Infielder.  his .882 F% in the OF last year and .833 this year are pretty bad, he's ok at 2nd (.960) and 3rd (.982) though but I think it's really more the former.  He's not viewed as a "long term" part of the team's plans and they're trying to maximize AB & experience for their younger guys in hopes that they can get better and carry the team in the future.

I am of the same thinking as @RJWMN24 - the D-Backs are 1st in their division, trying to contend, so I doubt they're trying to give development time to other players.  Not to mention that losing PT to Nick Ahmed or Chris Owings is not helping anyone's development.  If you're trying to win now then you put the best players on the field you can.

And Descalso is 31, but he's also a flyball revolution guy.  His 48% FB rate is like 12% over his career average, and his 30% GB rate is over 13% less than his career.  Also a career high 42% Hard hit rate, to a career average of 28%.  He's made purposeful swing changes and has seen a quick and marked improvement in his hitting.  This is exactly the type of guy you want to ride if you're Arizona.

The D-Backs also hit him in the heart of the lineup when he's in it, so it isn't like they think of him as a 31 year old journeyman infielder either.  They understand his bat and what he's doing, but they're just not prioritizing it, which is frustrating (at least for fantasy).

• Like 1

Solid insight guys.  I had been wondering why the playing time had been spotty since he always seems to perform with the bat. 

I've been venting all year about Ari not playing Double Ds near enough.  Probably my number one pick for dumbest managed player in the game.  Put him at 2b already and go win the damn division.  

I can't remember a time i liked Arizona management.  

• Like 1

Echoing what others are saying.  It is a mystery why he is ever out of the lineup.  He must be a butcher with the glove.

Maybe I do not understand the value of defense but it seems like a guy with a monster bat and a negative in the field trumps a player with a good glove and no stick.  

Isn't this just a platoon? He has only 38 PA vs. lefties (in 30 games, so not a lot of starts).

He has a 930 OPS vs. righties and a 718 vs lefties, so I'm not even sure you this matters. I wouldn't use him vs. lefties anyways. 

39 minutes ago, B&F said:

Echoing what others are saying.  It is a mystery why he is ever out of the lineup.  He must be a butcher with the glove.

Maybe I do not understand the value of defense but it seems like a guy with a monster bat and a negative in the field trumps a player with a good glove and no stick.  

Aside from specifics on how much of a "monster" Corporal Descalso is, if you have a really, really negative glove you could play yourself off the field in terms of value. I don't think Danny has done that, but he's not really a good defender for sure.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Meh, DD's in a platoon and every now and then he misses a start vs a righty.

I could get behind it more if  Ketel was some lefty killer or something.  Arizona is the king of the marginal platoon.  They always end up in logjams with mediocre players.  Used to be the 76 OFs they carried,  now its the infield.  Let's at least see if the swing changes helped the platoon split. If the best they can offer up is Marte or Ahmed as a platoon partner then why bother.  

From platoon to forgotten man.  Smh, somebody should trade for this guy and give him ABs.