Sign in to follow this  
flowbee

Steven Wright 2018 Outlook

The Red Sox called up Steven Wright after over a year absence due to injury and suspension. He will pitch in middle relief but as a 2016 All Star starting pitcher (3.33 ERA/1.24 13-6 record), there's always the off chance he finds his way back into the rotation at some point due to circumstance. 

He was excellent his last two games in Pawtucket so seems he has his nasty knuckler back. As probably the only active knuckleballer in the game now, I find it hard not to root for the guy and worth tracking in deep leagues.

• Like 1

If Pomeranz screws up again in this game tonight -- and he already gave up a homer to Correa in the 1st -- speculation in Boston is that Wright could well get the next start in his place.

Gray area is if Pomeranz limps by with a so-so performance but another tanker by him and Wright will likely take over in his slot with Pomeranz getting the fake DL stint perhaps.

29 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If Pomeranz screws up again in this game tonight -- and he already gave up a homer to Correa in the 1st -- speculation in Boston is that Wright could well get the next start in his place.

Gray area is if Pomeranz limps by with a so-so performance but another tanker by him and Wright will likely take over in his slot with Pomeranz getting the fake DL stint perhaps.

Wouldn’t rule out Jalen Beeks either , who’s on the 40 man

1 hour ago, afgolfman666 said:

Wouldn’t rule out Jalen Beeks either , who’s on the 40 man

I have to disagree on Beeks.  Hector Velezquez is in line after Wright then Brian Johnson both of whom filled in real well at the start of the season.  Beeks is never ever mentioned in the Boston media who over yak up any prospect and beat reporters have never mentioned him nor the front office touting his year so far.  Zero buzz which is near impossible not to get same in Boston.  Unless they desperately need him as in 2 or 3 starters going down I don't see him smelling the bigs this year.

But even if he does it will NOT be ahead of Wright.  Wright is definitely the 6th starter moving forward.  Also you want your knuckleballer starting and not coming in from the bullpen with men on base which means he basically has to wait for a clean inning to start right now.  Right now this is like what the third game in a row he has come in to take over for Pomeranz after Pomeranz put the team behind.  He is being wasted this way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I have to disagree on Beeks.  Hector Velezquez is in line after Wright then Brian Johnson both of whom filled in real well at the start of the season.  Beeks is never ever mentioned in the Boston media who over yak up any prospect and beat reporters have never mentioned him nor the front office touting his year so far.  Zero buzz which is near impossible not to get same in Boston.  Unless they desperately need him as in 2 or 3 starters going down I don't see him smelling the bigs this year.

But even if he does it will NOT be ahead of Wright.  Wright is definitely the 6th starter moving forward.  Also you want your knuckleballer starting and not coming in from the bullpen with men on base which means he basically has to wait for a clean inning to start right now.  Right now this is like what the third game in a row he has come in to take over for Pomeranz after Pomeranz put the team behind.  He is being wasted this way.

Hector velasquez is a good call .  Brian Johnson is pretty trashy ... I can’t see that .

1 minute ago, Beakman said:

Nice start today.  I assume he'll be taking Pomeranz' spot in the rotation?

I would think so after the way he pitched tonight. 

He would pitch next Sunday against the White Sox or Monday against Baltimore.  I think you have to hold and see how that start goes for sure. 

I may very well be wrong, but I think they stick with Porcello for Sunday and Rodriguez Monday.  Tuesday then would be either Wright or Beeks IMO.

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

I may very well be wrong, but I think they stick with Porcello for Sunday and Rodriguez Monday.  Tuesday then would be either Wright or Beeks IMO.

Beeks is up for Thursday only.  They wanted to go with a 6 man rotation once through to give the pitchers an extra day's rest.  This was planned for some time with Wright being the 6th man.  With Pomeranz to the DL, Beeks became the one time fill-in instead.  So he won't continue past the Thursday game unless other injuries or fake injuries (take your pick with Pomeranz, a DL stint is more a cover for the need to bench him as he works on stuff most people think) happen.

Porcello is slated for Sunday at home vs the White Sox.  So that should put E-Rod -- who pitches tonight one day after Wright -- starting on Tuesday with Wright into the Monday slot.  Both should pitch against the O's in Baltimore. 

I don't see E-Rod skipping ahead of Wright because part of the point of the 6 man rotation once through was to get each of the pitchers an extra day off which wouldn't happen if Eddie hopped ahead of Wright.  And Wright as a knuckelballer has a rubber arm anyway.  No need to give him not one but TWO extra days of rest.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Well dang.  Looks like I wasted a transaction.  I was thinking Pom would be replaced by one of the 2.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Beeks is up for Thursday only.  They wanted to go with a 6 man rotation once through to give the pitchers an extra day's rest.  This was planned for some time with Wright being the 6th man.  With Pomeranz to the DL, Beeks became the one time fill-in instead.  So he won't continue past the Thursday game unless other injuries or fake injuries (take your pick with Pomeranz, a DL stint is more a cover for the need to bench him as he works on stuff most people think) happen.

Porcello is slated for Sunday at home vs the White Sox.  So that should put E-Rod -- who pitches tonight one day after Wright -- starting on Tuesday with Wright into the Monday slot.  Both should pitch against the O's in Baltimore. 

I don't see E-Rod skipping ahead of Wright because part of the point of the 6 man rotation once through was to get each of the pitchers an extra day off which wouldn't happen if Eddie hopped ahead of Wright.  And Wright as a knuckelballer has a rubber arm anyway.  No need to give him not one but TWO extra days of rest.

FWIW - his ESPN player blurb:

Wright allowed two hits and three walks while striking out six over seven scoreless innings in Tuesday's 6-0 win over the Tigers.
Spin: 
Wright was making his first start of the season and was on point after a shaky first inning. He allowed three baserunners in the first, but avoided damage when Detroit's Leonys Martin was thrown out at home. From that point on, no Tiger reached second base off Wright, who retired the final 13 batters faced and lowered his ERA to 1.57 over 23 innings. With Drew Pomeranz (biceps) on the disabled list, Wright will get at least one more start, which at this point is scheduled next Tuesday in Baltimore.

news_breaking.png
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Tue, Jun 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, STLSU said:

Well dang.  Looks like I wasted a transaction.  I was thinking Pom would be replaced by one of the 2.

Pomeranz is being replaced by Wright.  Pomeranz will have to prove he is back at his 2017 form before he can reclaim a spot in the rotation again.  Wright, since his return, has been golden.  So it is Pomeranz who is looking back in at this point with Wright having the edge unless he fumbles his chance.

They want to prevent another Sale fizzling out at the end of the season scenario so another 6-man rotation or two may happen later.  And who knows how "sensitive" Price behaves on any given day so there is value for both pitchers moving forward. 

But short term the 5th slot in the rotation is Wright's.  Pomeranz is in his contract year too so if he continues to fail as badly as he has earlier there is no need of the Red Sox to kick Wright to the curb to protect Pomeranz long term.

• Like 1

They seemed to have made a change in the schedule and Wright actually has been moved up:

Tue, Jun 5

Making his first start for the Red Sox this season, Steven Wright went seven scoreless innings and allowed only two hits in a 6-0 win over the Tigers.

Advice: The knuckleballer issued three walks, but he struck out six and needed 96 pitches to blank the Tigers over seven impressive frames. Wright had been unscored upon over his last nine relief innings, as well.

With Drew Pomeranz (biceps) landing on the disabled list Tuesday, Wright will remain in the rotation and has a shot to run away with a job given Pomeranz’s struggles. The knuckleballer gets the White Sox at home on Sunday in an inviting streaming matchup.

(Rotoworld.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rather he faced Hess but 2x for weekly points leagues he is a very solid bet.  Should get a QS here tonight.  Seattle is better than expected but has like a 50/50 shot at a win there too.

2 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

Anyone considering throwing him out today vs Baltimore?

More like is anyone NOT thinking of throwing him out today.  It's Baltimore.  The team with the worst winning record in all of baseball.  If you don't pitch him against the wingless O's who DO you pitch him against?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1