3Sheets1elbow

Griffin Canning - SP LAA

I think it's time for a Griffin Canning thread.

Ht: 6' 1"

Wt: 170 lbs

Throws: R

Background

Drafted 47th overall by the Angels in 2017 out of UCLA as a junior with a 2.34 ERA 1.05 WHIP and 10.59 K/9 in 119 IP.  The Angels shut him down after the draft due to his work load at UCLA and some medical concerns.  Those concerns was said to drop him from the 1st round in the mid teens to the second round.  He jumped back onto everyone's radar in his 2018 debut when his pre-draft FB that sat 90-94 in college was touching 97 and sat 94-96.  He also showed off the command of his 4 pitch mix that all rate average or better.  He pitched a total of 8.1 innings before the Angels moved him up to AA Mobile.

Stats

36.1 IP   1.49 ERA   .99 WHIP   10.4 K/9  3.1 BB/9

He has a 3.63 FIP and 3.58 xFIP in AA right now and his K-BB% isn't eye popping at 14.7% but don't let that turn you off.  He hit some speed bumps in his first 3 starts and 13 innings in Mobile including a weird 5 IP 0H 0ER 6BB 1K  line which was part of a combined no hitter.   Since that game he's gone 14.2 IP .61 ERA .82 WHIP  13.5 K/9  which also includes another combined no hit game.

Scouting, Rankings, and Chats

MLB

T100 N/A

Team #7

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 55 | Overall: 50

Fangraphs

T100 N/A

Team #8

Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Future Value
50 / 50 50 / 50 50 / 50 45 / 55 45 / 55 45

The Dynasty Guru bumped him up to #69 in their May Top 200.

Kiley Chat 5/2

David: Which non top 100/200 prospects have given themselves the largest boost in the early going this year?

Kiley McDaniel: Griffin Canning is probably the top guy right now. Velo up, healthy, breaker is a little better.

There isn't much in the spring rankings to post about here because they're mostly the same.  "injury concerns", "four pitches and knows how to throw them for strikes"...can't blame them since he didn't throw a pro inning before the rankings came out.

Here's what his pitching coach had to say about last night's performance:

He commanded the fastball really well and the velocity was a tick higher [than April 28]. Maybe 97ish."

Rice , who pitched in the bigs for the Mariners in 1991, said the weather played a part in Canning's velocity uptick.

"I think just that it ended up being a cooler night and that played into a more comfortable warmup. Also it's just the natural give-and-take from start to start," he said. "[But] his fastball was special tonight. He was mixing in [offspeed pitches] to get to his fastball. He was pitching a little backward, but I think his fastball was just special, had a little extra."

Hot Take

Griffin is going to firmly cement himself inside Top 100 lists at mid season and next year. 

He was already tabbed as a fast mover before the draft and a lot of people following him are asking if he can be called up this year.  Now I'm terrible at this because I didn't think Hoskins was coming up last year and passed on Franmil because I didn't see an opening but at most I think Canning would get a Sept. call up.

He's yet to make it through 6 IP, getting pulled usually in the 5th inning with a pitch count in the mid 80's.  That's of course due to those injury concerns and the Angels not trying to over work his arm with only 30+ pro innings but he has some pitch efficiency to work on too.  

His ceiling to start the year was a #3 but I think that's the floor once he continues to feel his way through the upper levels.  

Edited by 3Sheets1elbow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I could see him up in September with the big club to help in relief to help limit his innings but also because the Angels could use some help in the pen.

Great OP, thanks.

I saw that Keith Law is also a big fan saying in his recent chat that Canning looks to be surefire SP2.

I'm buying everywhere

He's in the Yahoo database FYI. I scooped him up today and am stashing him in my dynasty league. I really do think he sees MLB time come September. Angels have never really been shy with being aggressive with prospects, especially college guys

Thanks so much for this. About to pick him up in my league; I'm quite excited. I get a similar vibe from his arsenal and record and his ability to shoot up the ladder that I got from Walker Buehler last year.

Yeah, when the Angels drafted him I got Trevor Bauer vibes. Same college and a quirky delivery

• Like 1

Since we last saw Canning he was coming off of starting 4.1 innings of a no hitter.  He started the next game with 3.2 innings of another no hitter giving him 8 innings of no hit ball.

Tonight he gave up his first hit since this post went up.  1 hit and 1 walk tonight in 4.2 IP (75 pitches). Broadcast said he was sitting 93-95.

His last 6 starts

28 innings

7 hits

1 ER

32/16 K/BB (had a 6 walk game)

K%=30%

Ready to see him in AAA then LA in September 

• Like 2

It would also be nice to see him start to pitch deeper into games.  Considering the above, I would like to see how he fares the 3rd time through most orders.  Since that is more likely when guys start to adjust, if he can sustain those numbers, then he will move even higher up my list.

• Like 1

5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K in his Double-A start today. ERA now sits at 1.97 through 45.2 IP in Double-A

Here's some video of him from today's scoreless outing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Promoted to Triple-A

Won't be long until he's making a spot start or working out of the pen for the MLB team

• Like 1

With Skaggs going down, Angels may be forced to call him up before the all-star break.

Canning in his Triple-A debut

4 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K; 87 pitches, 51 strikes. 2 groundouts / 0 flyouts

11 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Canning in his Triple-A debut

4 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K; 87 pitches, 51 strikes. 2 groundouts / 0 flyouts

So much potential.  So much inefficiency.  

2 hours ago, 3Sheets1elbow said:

Reminds me of AJ Burnett.

7 hours ago, 3Sheets1elbow said:

4 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Reminds me of AJ Burnett.

You projecting his next 23 pitches and how he gives up lots of runs all of a sudden? lol. What do you see between the two? Always thought Burnett threw a little harder.

His background kind of reminds me of a Lance McCullers Jr so far.

Two RHPs, health/durability concerns, inefficient with pitches at times, both drafted in the 40s overall, both stand 6'1'', untouchable in shorter 4-inning appearances, walks a bit high but not many hits allowed.

Finally a good outing last night: 4 2/3IP, 2H, 1R, 3BBs, 7Ks after two consecutive outings in which he gave up 7ER each.

So whats the upside with this Guy? I've read reports of him being a solid 2 to a 4, with most saying he'll be a 3. Dude has a 60 grade Fb that averaged around 94-95 last year, with solid off speeds including a 60 grade curve and change-up that has gotten mixed results. Some have said its a 60 grade while other don't think so, plus he has a solid slider. A rare and solid four pitch guy could be seeing a call-up this season. 

The attrition rate of LAA starters is really out of hand. This dude will obv see some time in the bigs this year...I don't see much upside but proximity is always an important component to a pitching prospects value. My fear is that his medical history fits perfectly with the Angels standard operating procedures.

Hot to start the season... not getting the call with Skaggs to IL... but soon if he keeps it up I'd guess

Edited by hard1

6 shutout inning today, dropping the Era down to .056. May be time for him to get a call up.

Edited by TheK1d
  • Like 1