garlando

Alexander Canario - OF SF

I made a post on him in the "deep sleepers" thread but felt like he may deserve more attention with a thread. A just turned 18-year-old, Alexander Canario (OF) of the Giants organization put up a .294/.391/.464 line in the DSL last year with 5 HRs and 18 SBs in 274 PAs. That came with very solid peripherals of 12 BB% and 14.6 K%. Ultimately he posted a 147 wRC+. What grabbed my attention was that KATOH on Fangraphs is really in on him, ranking him 33rd on the 2018 top 100 KATOH prospects list. That's a pretty big endorsement for the system to buy into Canario, especially for a guy that hasn't made it to full-season ball yet. He's listed at 6 foot 1, 165 lbs, so he's very projectable in terms of adding size and power in the future. He played mostly RF last year in the DSL, but did get 7 games in CF. He earned a trip to the DSL All-Star Game and took where he took home the MVP of the event. He also played last year as a very young 17-year old which made him one of the younger players in the league.

Fangraphs just gave him future tool grades of 55 hit, 60 Raw, Current 55 run, 50 field, and 60 arm. That's an impressive collection of tools! They went on to say this about him:

Canario has plus-plus, untamed bat speed. He’s raw right now, as you’d expect for a 17-year old, and has issues with stride direction, swing length, and aggressiveness, which all need remedying. But teenagers with this kind of bat speed are rare and Canario looks good enough in center field that he has a fair chance to stay there. He’s a high-variance prospect with, as early looks indicate, a huge ceiling.

He's playing in extended spring training right now, and is expected to be named to short-season Low-A ball (which is where most college players generally start meaning he would be playing again far below the league average age) once that league gets going post MLB draft. He's a name to watch imo!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, garlando said:

I made a post on him in the "deep sleepers" thread but felt like he may deserve more attention with a thread. A just turned 18-year-old, Alexander Canario (OF) of the Giants organization put up a .294/.391/.464 line in the DSL last year with 5 HRs and 18 SBs in 274 PAs. That came with very solid peripherals of 12 BB% and 14.6 K%. Ultimately he posted a 147 wRC+. What grabbed my attention was that KATOH on Fangraphs is really in on him, ranking him 33rd on the 2018 top 100 KATOH prospects list. That's a pretty big endorsement for the system to buy into Canario, especially for a guy that hasn't made it to full-season ball yet. He's listed at 6 foot 1, 165 lbs, so he's very projectable in terms of adding size and power in the future. He played mostly RF last year in the DSL, but did get 7 games in CF. He earned a trip to the DSL All-Star Game and took where he took home the MVP of the event. He also played last year as a very young 17-year old which made him one of the younger players in the league.

Fangraphs just gave him future tool grades of 55 hit, 60 Raw, Current 55 run, 50 field, and 60 arm. That's an impressive collection of tools! They went on to say this about him:

He's playing in extended spring training right now, and is expected to be named to short-season Low-A ball (which is where most college players generally start meaning he would be playing again far below the league average age) once that league gets going post MLB draft. He's a name to watch imo!

I'm on board.  BA mentioned enough traits that I look for in baby prospects that I picked him up earlier this offseason.

• Like 1

Unfortunately not on Salem-Keizer's roster so i assume he will be in the arizona league which starts next week. 

A few years ago I drafted Ronald Acuna in the last round of my dynasty league's midseason prospect draft and its paying off a ton now. I see a lot of similarities in Canario and am looking to get him this year. 

rebounded nicely after a rough start in the AZL. K rate up from DSL to 24.5% but I think he can make adjustments. Still like what Ive seen from him. I like his skillset and outlook more than fellow SF OF prospect Heliot Ramos, but Canario is way more under the radar/getting less attention. 

I have four break out candidate in my team. One is Canario (the others are Valera, Kristian Robinson and Julio Rodriguez), but I've been reading around so and so reports, particularly if I compare the 4 of them.. 

I really don't think that Canario has the ceiling of Valera, Robinson, or Rodriguez based on what I've read - he has neither the refined hit tool, power or speed that those 3 poses in various combinations. He is certainly a prospect to own but not on the same level IMO

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=672744#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

6 Homers in 8 games, just killing it to start the AZL...

https://twitter.com/KO_Crowley/status/1144102019860291584

#SFGiantsMLB_2019_SFGiants.png center field Alexander Canario, 19, hit his fifth home run in his seventh AZL game today. Was told earlier today he’ll be headed to Salem-Keizer in the near future.

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1

Now up to 7HRs in 43 ABs.  Just destroying the AZL.  Still just 19 years old, he might need to be moved up pretty soon.

Moving up to Short Season Northwest League today.

Slashed .395/.435/1.000 in Rookie ball  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Moving up to Short Season Northwest League today.

Slashed .395/.435/1.000 in Rookie ball  

Hitting in the 2hole, double in his first AB!

I'm not really sure why they sent him back to the AZL at all. He was decent there last season and now seems way too good to be there.

Short-season A will tell us a little more about where he's at.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:13 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

I'm not really sure why they sent him back to the AZL at all. He was decent there last season and now seems way too good to be there.

Short-season A will tell us a little more about where he's at.

He hit .250 in the AZL last year with a ton of swing and miss. I wouldn’t say he was decent. 

There’s potential here but I honestly think the brakes need to be pumped big time for some. The DSL stats a few years back are really deceiving. Don’t see him as a top 100 prospect or close to it.

The K rate is alarming.  Obviously he is super young, but still something that has really been exploited since he has moved up to SS.

While the K rate is still high, he is now batting .275 with OBP of .381 and OPS of .859.  Not too shabby for a recently turned 19 yr old (5/7/2000 DOB)