Sign in to follow this  
spud

Kershaw?

I have read that he might be out for another month or so.  Based on the time he will likely miss, how much value does he still hold in trying to trade for him?  I don’t think 100%, but do you? Thoughts?

Definitely not 100% value. But at the same time, I wouldn't make an insulting offer either. You still need to offer something of some value. 

I’ve seen a lot of stuff suggesting he should be valued (and therefore tradable) as a 2nd tier pitcher, so guys like Syndergaard, Verlander, deGrom, etc. or maybe one of the next level guys if they are killing it (Cole obviously, maybe Corbin or Morton). I think I would take Morton for Kershaw right now, but I can understand why others wouldn’t.

1 hour ago, St3v3k4hn said:

I’ve seen a lot of stuff suggesting he should be valued (and therefore tradable) as a 2nd tier pitcher, so guys like Syndergaard, Verlander, deGrom, etc. or maybe one of the next level guys if they are killing it (Cole obviously, maybe Corbin or Morton). I think I would take Morton for Kershaw right now, but I can understand why others wouldn’t.

Morton won’t keep up his production all season long, he’s not a TOR starter at all.

5 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Morton won’t keep up his production all season long, he’s not a TOR starter at all.

Depends on what you define as a TOR starter really.

Morton is legit.

His velocity is in top 5, with guys like Thor/Severino/Ohtani/Cole.

His K/9 is legit.

He can pitch in meaningful games. WS last year.

His xFIP and SIERA are both under 3.

If you like a guy going 6+, with a 11 K/9, who can pitch any big moment, then yes, he's close to a TOR sp.

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Depends on what you define as a TOR starter really.

Morton is legit.

His velocity is in top 5, with guys like Thor/Severino/Ohtani/Cole.

His K/9 is legit.

He can pitch in meaningful games. WS last year.

His xFIP and SIERA are both under 3.

If you like a guy going 6+, with a 11 K/9, who can pitch any big moment, then yes, he's close to a TOR sp.

He’s 34 years old and didn’t suddenly change his pitching repertoire. How many times did a bottom of the rotation starter turn things around like this at 34 without becoming a knuckleballer or something like that?

Morton has never even reached 172 innings in a season, and the last time that he reached even 150 was in 2014. His FIP is 3.44, his BABIP is an unsustainable .231. It’s only a matter of time before his ERA balloons. This is an at best mid of the rotation starter posing as an ace due to a fluke month and a half. He’s a sell high candidate not someone you trade Kershaw for. 

Just now, Thenewwildone8 said:

He’s 34 years old and didn’t suddenly change his pitching repertoire. How many times did a bottom of the rotation starter turn things around like this at 34 without becoming a knuckleballer or something like that?

Morton has never even reached 172 innings in a season, and the last time that he reached even 150 was in 2014. His FIP is 3.44, his BABIP is an unsustainable .231. It’s only a matter of time before his ERA balloons. This is an at best mid of the rotation starter posing as an ace due to a fluke month and a half. He’s a sell high candidate not someone you trade Kershaw for. 

I didn't say to trade Kershaw for him. While i agree he won't have a 2 era, a 3 is there. His last year wasn't a fluke.

He has changed his pitching mechanics. He made his delivery to mimic Halladay.

He also has increased his velocity the last 2 years.

Maybe he's not a ace, but he's easily a # 2 for me.

At any rate, he's no fluke.

6 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

I didn't say to trade Kershaw for him. While i agree he won't have a 2 era, a 3 is there. His last year wasn't a fluke.

He has changed his pitching mechanics. He made his delivery to mimic Halladay.

He also has increased his velocity the last 2 years.

Maybe he's not a ace, but he's easily a # 2 for me.

At any rate, he's no fluke.

Well at least we agree on the topic at hand that trading Kershaw for him is not a fair trade lol. I can buy him being a better pitcher but I want to wait more before I can agree that he’s a solid #2 going forward. Let’s see how his stats look in August.