Sign in to follow this  
Impreza178

2018 Best Ball (Draftmasters)

Thx for the invite but too early for me to have strong opinions about players to take now. 

I'm still trying to process why my methodology made me such a believer in Kenny Britt last season.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@vikingapocalypse @JHM_13  @cohenstantinople  @Rolling Thunder  @Impreza178

Well done, gents.  Here are rosters below.

vIOWw1I.jpgRGhLS2k.jpg3vAJNXd.jpgzBtSU35.jpg4e2dqW3.jpgFxd15cN.jpg

=========

Recap / Analysis:

Lord_Varys - B

Studs and duds.  Except in a 10-man league I found that there were a lot of very affordable mid-range players.  Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins, Chris Hogan, Will Fuller, and Tyler Lockett cost me a combined $20 maybe.  Not a strong WR corps, but each player is a threat for a long TD any given week, which is fine by me in best ball.  Considering I have Bell, Gurley, and McKinnon as every week starters, I'm OK with it.  Burkhead is a key piece in a valuable backfield, and Breida is McKinnon insurance with standalone value.  Happy with my QB and TE corps, too -- 3 of each, with some blow up potential.  QB is stronger.  All came nice and cheap.  Took me two hours of waiting after my Big 3 RB, but I was finally able to piece it all together nicely.

Vikingapocalypse - B

More studs and dude.  Zeke, Cook, Howard is a nasty core of running backs.  He added Lamar Miller too for a very reasonable price.  Somehow I come out of a draft with Gurley, Bell, and McKinnon and still don't feel like I have the best RB corps.  Wisely cuffed Cook with Latavius.  Manning, Dalton, and Dak are not an inspiring QB trio, but they're all poised for some kind of bounce back from last year.  Got a good price on Alshon ($14 I think),  Tate will tear it up in a PPR league, Wallace is there for a handfull of booms.  Not a bad WR corps at all for the price.  Gisecki and ASJ is a weak TE corps.  Only 1 defense (Falcons, who play in a loaded offensive division). 

JHM - A

WR heavy with good bargains on RBs.  Not quite studs and duds, but just a series of 2nd-4th round type of guys for $20+.

Adams, Evans, Green, Hilton -- Wow.  You can miss out on the ABs and Julios of the world and still crush it for the price.

Collins, Drake, Mack, Kerryon, Lewis -- Good deals on mid-range committee members.

Wilson, Cousins, Luck -- Got your high end, mid range, and X-factor QB.  Love this group.

Well rounded TEs, plenty of K and D.  All around a good draft.

Rolling Thunder - B

Explosive WRs, strong up top and also through the back.  Jealous of the value on Davis.  Only having 2 QBs may end up hurting.  Also the RB corps  --  Mixon and Henry will make or break this draft.  Henry's PPR upside could be very limited, but we will see.  Cohen should hopefully be unleashed by Nagy.  Only two TEs, but they're damn strong, so no problems there.  Well rounded throughout.

Cohenstantinople - C

I happen not to be a big fan of most of his players, and I could very well be wrong about that.  But he's getting married today so hopefully he has enough grace to forgive me for the low grade.

Impreza - B

AB, Fournette, Gordon, great core.  Wise to cuff with Yeldon, too.  James White great value in this format!

I'm personally down on Tyreek this year for the price.  Not a fan of Benjamin or Richardson, but Anderson and Agholor can put up some monster weeks.

Stafford, Keenum, Smith a solid QB core.

Only Cook and Reed at TE -- I predict some pain as weeks are missed.  I'd have gotten a 3rd if I was banking on Reed.

• Like 4

I'm just starting to become football-aware for this season, so I haven't done any drafts yet, but I might have popped my 2018 cherry with this one if I had seen it in time.  Too bad it was only half full of actual RotoWorld members (that Suncoast guy is in like EVERY draft posted).

I suggest that next time, you don't open the draft for anyone in the draft lobby to join.  I think you can still protect the league with a password, but even if you can't, it might be best not to open the league until like half an hour before the draft is scheduled.  Announce it here, so people will be ready and waiting to join when it opens--but then it will fill in a couple of minutes and the RT Sports lobby lizards won't have time to crash the party.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A nice way to spend a late Sunday afternoon (west coast time), but boy, what rust to knock off.  The first draft after the long off-season can be an adventure.  Also, the RTsports draft room is rather clunky and takes some getting used to.  Glad my wife and kid were out visiting a friend so they weren't within earshot when I loudly vocalized my screw-ups, which were several (like rostering a K when I thought I was buying a D/ST, and failing to excute late bids on some my targets

that ended up going too cheap).

But the one part that I both enjoyed and lamented the most was getting bounced around by the draft strategies and inclinations of some of the folks here, especially @Lord_Varys.  I realized a bit too far into the thing that my bag of tricks was functioning more like a uninflated balloon because I had not paid enough attention to who in particular was participating or, more importantly, what they where up to.  Need to account more next time for the "personalities" involved, or endure having my mind read.  A fun experience nonetheless.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Rolling ThunderYou should get on the desktop version next time, too, so you can join in the chat.

Not sure what you mean by getting bounced around by other people, though?  Like, you wish you would've paid more attention to other peoples' budgets and rosters so that you could anticipate I was saving up for some of those mid-range WRs (for example)?

Edited by Lord_Varys

12 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I'm just starting to become football-aware for this season, so I haven't done any drafts yet, but I might have popped my 2018 cherry with this one if I had seen it in time.  Too bad it was only half full of actual RotoWorld members (that Suncoast guy is in like EVERY draft posted).

I suggest that next time, you don't open the draft for anyone in the draft lobby to join.  I think you can still protect the league with a password, but even if you can't, it might be best not to open the league until like half an hour before the draft is scheduled.  Announce it here, so people will be ready and waiting to join when it opens--but then it will fill in a couple of minutes and the RT Sports lobby lizards won't have time to crash the party.

What’s up Axe-  the next one will be a private draft, now that I’m confident we have enough interest here.

9 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

A nice way to spend a late Sunday afternoon (west coast time), but boy, what rust to knock off.  The first draft after the long off-season can be an adventure.  Also, the RTsports draft room is rather clunky and takes some getting used to.  Glad my wife and kid were out visiting a friend so they weren't within earshot when I loudly vocalized my screw-ups, which were several (like rostering a K when I thought I was buying a D/ST, and failing to excute late bids on some my targets

that ended up going too cheap).

But the one part that I both enjoyed and lamented the most was getting bounced around by the draft strategies and inclinations of some of the folks here, especially @Lord_Varys.  I realized a bit too far into the thing that my bag of tricks was functioning more like a uninflated balloon because I had not paid enough attention to who in particular was participating or, more importantly, what they where up to.  Need to account more next time for the "personalities" involved, or endure having my mind read.  A fun experience nonetheless.

Trying to auction draft on mobile is brutal.  You did well all things considered.   Chalk it up to the first draft being more of a feeling out process.   If a snake draft is a quick pull on the slot machine-  an auction is a poker game.  Reading your opponents and knowing their strategies, as well as keeping tabs on their needs as the auction progresses is a huge leg up.    

Looking forward to the next one!  I’m eyeing Sunday, June 3rd for auction 2.... 

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

@Rolling ThunderYou should get on the desktop version next time, too, so you can join in the chat.

Not sure what you mean by getting bounced around by other people, though?  Like, you wish you would've paid more attention to other peoples' budgets and rosters so that you could anticipate I was saving up for some of those mid-range WRs (for example)?

Yep.  I actually picked up (quite late) where you were going with this one, but then you surprised me still by competing for McKinnon like you did (when you were already very top heavy at RB).  I had made so many mistakes by that point that it didn't matter, but with something like 60%+ of your budget invested in 2 RBs, I assumed you weren't poised to torpedoe my plans.  I also didn't go into this one planning to be in need of a bunch of "mid-range WRs" (to use your words), but my early missteps landed me there, where I spent a good deal of time zigging and zagging around the same targets as you.  It was really funny (from my perspective) how it all went down.  As I said, very enjoyable nonetheless.

35 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Yep.  I actually picked up (quite late) where you were going with this one, but then you surprised me still by competing for McKinnon like you did (when you were already very top heavy at RB).  I had made so many mistakes by that point that it didn't matter, but with something like 60%+ of your budget invested in 2 RBs, I assumed you weren't poised to torpedoe my plans.  I also didn't go into this one planning to be in need of a bunch of "mid-range WRs" (to use your words), but my early missteps landed me there, where I spent a good deal of time zigging and zagging around the same targets as you.  It was really funny (from my perspective) how it all went down.  As I said, very enjoyable nonetheless.

Well, I originally just started bidding on McKinnon because I was personally curious how high you would go for him (lol).  So I wasn't poised to torpedo your plan, really just to antagonize you a little and then let you have him.  

But the bidding was only in the low 30s.  I didn't think that that was really "competing for McKinnon" so much as it was just doing due diligence.   I'll generally go into the mid 40s for low end RB1 types (a lot of Gordon, McCoy, and Freeman at this time of year last year for the price).  So if McKinnon was only $33.... well.... it wasn't part of my plans, but I was happy it worked out how it did, especially since I knew I could get Breida for less than $3 (ended up only $1 I think).

I was fortunate that a lot of really good WRs are inexplicably low on rtsports.com's list.  People have blown their budget already and you still have Jones, Watkins, Fuller types going after a few players have already cashed out.  Sometimes, just knowing where people are ranked in your draft client's list can give you an edge.  

18 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Well, I originally just started bidding on McKinnon because I was personally curious how high you would go for him (lol).  So I wasn't poised to torpedo your plan, really just to antagonize you a little and then let you have him.  

But the bidding was only in the low 30s.  I didn't think that that was really "competing for McKinnon" so much as it was just doing due diligence.   I'll generally go into the mid 40s for low end RB1 types (a lot of Gordon, McCoy, and Freeman at this time of year last year for the price).  So if McKinnon was only $33.... well.... it wasn't part of my plans, but I was happy it worked out how it did, especially since I knew I could get Breida for less than $3 (ended up only $1 I think).

I was fortunate that a lot of really good WRs are inexplicably low on rtsports.com's list.  People have blown their budget already and you still have Jones, Watkins, Fuller types going after a few players have already cashed out.  Sometimes, just knowing where people are ranked in your draft client's list can give you an edge.  

Your "antagonizing" was all good.  I had a hard stop on McKinnon's price at that point, but that's on me.  If I had executed better earlier, it might have gone differently.  

I'll also admit that I did not process properly the fact that this was a 10 team draft.  I have only participated in 12 teamers previously (if you can believe it).  Needed to recalibrate my instincts to account for the larger end pool.  Tough to do when you're just waking up on the new draft season.  This hobby never gets old.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I had a hard stop on McKinnon's price at that point, but that's on me.

Why so low?  Had you just spent too much already?

Next bestball we're in, I'll nominate him with my first pick, so that we can see how high you go lol

11 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Why so low?  Had you just spent too much already?

Next bestball we're in, I'll nominate him with my first pick, so that we can see how high you go lol

Was just scrambling at bit at that point, so I became more conservative than I normally am.  Happens sometimes when you make some unforced errors and find yourself replotting course.

Next time, I will prepare a whiffle ball (or two) for those folks (who shall go nameless) whose tendencies can be anticipated to some degree!!

On 5/22/2018 at 9:20 AM, Impreza178 said:

Looking forward to the next one!  I’m eyeing Sunday, June 3rd for auction 2....

Traveling the 1st through the 4th---still, want to stay in the loop----and if another date pops up keep me in mind. Wednesdays are nice to break up the week...

Learned not to trust an iPad to get the draft done --- I had clicked on Keenum for my $1 QB grab at the end and it bounced me out and autoselected DeMarco Murray. Not how I would've chosen to round out the draft, but hopefully my team can beat LV's "C" grade.

23 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Traveling the 1st through the 4th---still, want to stay in the loop----and if another date pops up keep me in mind. Wednesdays are nice to break up the week...

Learned not to trust an iPad to get the draft done --- I had clicked on Keenum for my $1 QB grab at the end and it bounced me out and autoselected DeMarco Murray. Not how I would've chosen to round out the draft, but hopefully my team can beat LV's "C" grade.

@Lord_Varys is not to be trusted.  Always some agenda. :P

hes probably in a dark room with @Rolling Thunder drooling over McKinnon highlights.    

Will keep ya in the loop, I agree 💯 about trying to auction on anything but a desktop.    

• Like 1