ZChronicNebula

Demarcus Cousins 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Projections for when he comes back halfway through the season presumably? 13 ppg 7 rpg 2.5 apg 1.5 3pg with close to a steal/block and slightly better efficiency maybe?

10 hours ago, sya said:

according to reports due to the injury and many teams feel that he is bad for the locker room.

Magic said he didn't even call DMC to offer him to play for Lakers, not sure how accurate that report is, but if true, then it says something really bad about DMC considering LAL went out to sign another guy who can be cancer in the locker room - Rondo.

It says boogie left to choose between Boston and GSW and he went with GSW. It seems like not even Pelicans tried hard enough to retain DMC because they went out to get Randle as soon as he became UFA.

I'm just calling BS on all of these reports that Boogie wasn't offered anything. I am going to guess there were many teams that were talking/negotiating with him.  Boogie could have been asking for max money. He could have been asking for 4 years. Negotiations are a two way street. And this wasn't a cut and dry PG type signing where he is healthy, in his prime, etc. Or a KD type signing where the negotiation is tell me what you want to sign. It seems more like Boogie just got frustrated or misplayed his cards and said F it and called the Warriors directly. If you come out with a flawed free agency plan the NBA doesn't wait on you and they just move on a fill out their roster or try for the next max contract. 

If you are Magic, what exactly are you supposed to say? If you talked to Boogie and he turned you down to sign for $5 mil in GS that is a horrible look for you as the leader of the Lakers and your franchise. You just signed Lebron and you can't even get a star on the cheap to join. If he didn't talk to Boogie then he is just being lazy. It is sort of a lose lose. 

Boogie has every right to do this. I am not mad or frustrated at him. I am more annoyed by the rest of the league. Because of their inabilities and shortcomings the rest of us have to live through a period of no parity. I haven't watched more than a game or two of playoff basketball in the last 2 years. It is just sort of pointless. If Draymond didn't kick Lebron in the junk there wouldn't have been a "rivalry" to hype. This is complete and total dominance. Thankfully we have fantasy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I'm just calling BS on all of these reports that Boogie wasn't offered anything. I am going to guess there were many teams that were talking/negotiating with him.  Boogie could have been asking for max money. He could have been asking for 4 years. Negotiations are a two way street. And this wasn't a cut and dry PG type signing where he is healthy, in his prime, etc. Or a KD type signing where the negotiation is tell me what you want to sign. It seems more like Boogie just got frustrated or misplayed his cards and said F it and called the Warriors directly. If you come out with a flawed free agency plan the NBA doesn't wait on you and they just move on a fill out their roster or try for the next max contract. 

If you are Magic, what exactly are you supposed to say? If you talked to Boogie and he turned you down to sign for $5 mil in GS that is a horrible look for you as the leader of the Lakers and your franchise. You just signed Lebron and you can't even get a star on the cheap to join. If he didn't talk to Boogie then he is just being lazy. It is sort of a lose lose. 

Boogie has every right to do this. I am not mad or frustrated at him. I am more annoyed by the rest of the league. Because of their inabilities and shortcomings the rest of us have to live through a period of no parity. I haven't watched more than a game or two of playoff basketball in the last 2 years. It is just sort of pointless. If Draymond didn't kick Lebron in the junk there wouldn't have been a "rivalry" to hype. This is complete and total dominance. Thankfully we have fantasy. 

Do you think Cousins rushed his decision though?

After it was announced that Boogie was headed to the Warriors, it was reported that the other team he was considering was Boston. However, per Himmelsbach's league source, the Celtics heard Cousins might have interest in Boston, but by the time they started to look into it, he had agreed to a deal with Golden State

It sounds like it is plausible Cousins got impatient. However, it could be as you said GM's trying to control their image through the media outlets.

Anyone know or have a link to a source that shows how much the Pelicans offered boogie? I feel like I read 12 million or something somewhere.

4 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Do you think Cousins rushed his decision though?

After it was announced that Boogie was headed to the Warriors, it was reported that the other team he was considering was Boston. However, per Himmelsbach's league source, the Celtics heard Cousins might have interest in Boston, but by the time they started to look into it, he had agreed to a deal with Golden State

It sounds like it is plausible Cousins got impatient. However, it could be as you said GM's trying to control their image through the media outlets.

I don't think Boogie rushed his decision, but I think he absolutely got emotional about it. But, this is going to happen with this CBA and the superfication of the league. There are only a handful of teams that are content filling their roster with 10ish million dollar salaries. Most rosters are the max and the filler, or the have and the have not. If you are wrong on your approach to free agency you just get F*CKED hard. Reference Nerlens, IT, etc.

Honestly though, do you blame Boogie? If you people aren't throwing heaps of money and years at you and negotiating tough you perceive that as being low balled. So you just think if you are going to get low balled, may as well get a ring in the process. I don't think Boogie is staying in GS longterm, but who knows. 

Personally, I think teams like the Lakers and Celtics haven't done themselves too many favors in the past 12 months. The Lakers just shot themselves in the foot with PG. And they appear to be repeating the process with Kawhi. And if you had the option of playing with Lebron, who will dribble 75% of a possession, why wouldn't you want to go play with GS where everyone shares the ball and everyone gets theirs and they win. The Celtics are interesting in the sense that they absolutely need a star player. And I just don't think Hayward is that star and I don't think Kyrie can be trusted to be healthy. And the weird thing is that I think Smart is like a mini Draymond that can guard the really long wings and PGs. And I don't know if Boston is valuing him accordingly. Either way, you need to be bold and right if you are going to compete with the Warriors. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jclee4 said:

Anyone know or have a link to a source that shows how much the Pelicans offered boogie? I feel like I read 12 million or something somewhere.

He turned down a 2 yr/40 mill offer from the Pelicans apparently, according to Bleacher Report. "Had no other offers" though 🤔

20 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Cannibalization

I think it applies.

I'd be wary of investing in any Warriors

indubitably. warriors have one 2 many snakes. #donotdraftsnakes 

2 hours ago, young_styler said:

He turned down a 2 yr/40 mill offer from the Pelicans apparently, according to Bleacher Report. "Had no other offers" though 🤔

That was DURING the season. Not in free agency. Please get your facts straight.

That is a fact though. It was after he had the injury. Cousins wanted to wait until free agency obviously to see what other offers would come in. He didn't get what he expected. He wanted Max type money. That injury dropped his value significantly.. sadly.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

That was DURING the season. Not in free agency. Please get your facts straight.

Yes I'm aware, i read the same article. He should've taken it when he had the chance. 

Actually many teams don't really want DMC to be in their team. Remember what SAC traded him for Buddy Hield and a mid to late lottery pick? Well Divac did say they had better offer before, but the team withdrew the offer. But that was the best they could get for DMC who was still under contract for 1 and half year. Many teams feel DMC has attitude problem and they don't want that type of personality in their locker room. Now you combine that with a very serious injury, and his value further dips

Posted (edited)

Apparently Lakers also had a chance to sign Boogie for cheap, but they declined. This puts Boogie in a somewhat better light for me. Didn't contact GSW as the first option. I would've thought that going to the team in which you'd prefer to play long term would've been a logical option. You'd have one year to get to know the franchize and vice versa. Given that he has said Lakers was his favorite team growing up, that was an understandable option. I don't quite get this from the Lakers POV though. Could've been able to gauge Boogie's character/value for the duration of the entire season. A long tryout.

As to teams lowballing him... What would've been his rightful value after suffering an achilles injury, known to be a tough one to recover from, not to mention for a guy his size... Obviously a lot of risk involved, and add to that his history of antics. NO would've offered him a max before the injury, and had a decent offer on the table even after that (which was now arguably proven furing FA).

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-passed-demarcus-cousins-turned-40m-pelicans-last-year-001753364.html

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

On 7/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Cannibalization

I think it applies.

I'd be wary of investing in any Warriors

I need to see how the roster shakes out before making a statement like this. My guess is Boogie takes his time in rehab. If that is the case, it is the same team as last year. Only difference is that if they are healthy they will get more rest instead of missing time to injury. They all get knocked down a bit, but guys like Draymond, KD, Steph are still going to produce serious stat lines. That said, if someone wanted to build around Greek instead of KD or Dame instead of Steph I could understand the logic and wouldn't call them an idiot. 

19 hours ago, sya said:

Actually many teams don't really want DMC to be in their team. Remember what SAC traded him for Buddy Hield and a mid to late lottery pick? Well Divac did say they had better offer before, but the team withdrew the offer. But that was the best they could get for DMC who was still under contract for 1 and half year. Many teams feel DMC has attitude problem and they don't want that type of personality in their locker room. Now you combine that with a very serious injury, and his value further dips

That's the narrative you hear, but I am calling BS on the whole idea that Boogie is a cancer in the locker room. I haven't heard one teammate of his come out and blast him. I haven't heard an ex-teammate come out and say anything bad about Boogie on the court. Maybe they have, but I haven't seen it. Boogie played for the worst run franchise in the league. They literally wanted to play a man down on defense and just have a cherry picker. That is some crazy sh*t. And they were horribly run. This is a team that went mini-Nets style with the Sixers in a trade so they could sign Rondo and "compete". They are beyond terrible. So if you are one of the best players in the league and embrace your community but face nothing but frustration at work you are probably going to need to vent a little. Especially when you work for a team that has no clue what they are doing from a competitive standpoint. He vented immaturely and I won't say he didn't, but he hasn't been proven to be a bad teammate and I think that is where the line should be drawn. Guys like Dwight get blasted by ex-teammates. Boogie isn't even close to that level. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thezing1 said:

That's the narrative you hear, but I am calling BS on the whole idea that Boogie is a cancer in the locker room. I haven't heard one teammate of his come out and blast him. I haven't heard an ex-teammate come out and say anything bad about Boogie on the court. Maybe they have, but I haven't seen it. Boogie played for the worst run franchise in the league. They literally wanted to play a man down on defense and just have a cherry picker. That is some crazy sh*t. And they were horribly run. This is a team that went mini-Nets style with the Sixers in a trade so they could sign Rondo and "compete". They are beyond terrible. So if you are one of the best players in the league and embrace your community but face nothing but frustration at work you are probably going to need to vent a little. Especially when you work for a team that has no clue what they are doing from a competitive standpoint. He vented immaturely and I won't say he didn't, but he hasn't been proven to be a bad teammate and I think that is where the line should be drawn. Guys like Dwight get blasted by ex-teammates. Boogie isn't even close to that level. 

I closely follow the Kings (since ~2001) and disagree wholeheartedly.

First of all, players do not often "blast" their teammates, especially star ones, even if they move on to different teams. The NBA is a fraternity and a work place and players know it's not a good business decision.  Even Dwight has recently gotten praise from Bazemore on being a good teammate.  So the lack of "blasting" to me is not evidence of him being a good teammate.

Second, it is not difficult to find the footage of him verbally assaulting a Sac Bee news reporter he didn't like, literally inside the locker room after a game. Say what you want about the context, but that does not promote the right culture. The guy brings negative energy and he did it for years concistently.  And if your argument is that there was already negative energy in Sac, my retort was that (a) then he did nothing to help it improve and (b) that energy seemed to magically dissipate when he left.  The current players appear to thoroughly enjoy each other, based off their social media accounts (Bogi and Buddy are newfound besties) and all beat reporting I have encountered.

And aside from the actual "locker room" you can also be a cancer to a team "on court" and that was indisputable. Zach Lowe often and recently writes about how Boogie would not be in the camera frame defensively an alarming amount of times, due to not getting back/arguing with referees. This type of behavior does not happen on winning teams. You can argue chicken/egg but you cannot argue that it did not happen. He also led the league in technicals multiple times (I didn't fact check this but I am nearly positive; and if not leading he was close.)

/end rant

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jay14bay said:

And if your argument is that there was already negative energy in Sac, my retort was that (a) then he did nothing to help it improve and (b) that energy seemed to magically dissipate when he left.  The current players appear to thoroughly enjoy each other, based off their social media accounts (Bogi and Buddy are newfound besties) and all beat reporting I have encountered.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of our posts. But, I just wanted to highlight one thing...and they still suck as a basketball team. So these dudes can cash their checks and get their sh*t kicked in on a nightly basis. Personally, I would rather see a dude who was sick of losing instead of choir boys that are building a culture while not being remotely competitive. 

At the end of the day, I support Boogie as a person more than most. And I am not saying you are wrong about all the things you say about Boogie. I just think the angle I take and the angle you take are 180 degrees apart. But, I think we can both agree that the Kings are a horrid franchise and since you follow them closely I will just say...I'm sorry you have to withstand that. I hope you are old enough to have lived the Peja, Webber, Vladdy player years. Those teams were so much fun. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of our posts. But, I just wanted to highlight one thing...and they still suck as a basketball team. So these dudes can cash their checks and get their sh*t kicked in on a nightly basis. Personally, I would rather see a dude who was sick of losing instead of choir boys that are building a culture while not being remotely competitive. 

At the end of the day, I support Boogie as a person more than most. And I am not saying you are wrong about all the things you say about Boogie. I just think the angle I take and the angle you take are 180 degrees apart. But, I think we can both agree that the Kings are a horrid franchise and since you follow them closely I will just say...I'm sorry you have to withstand that. I hope you are old enough to have lived the Peja, Webber, Vladdy player years. Those teams were so much fun. 

Agreed that we can have different opinions. I just want to clarify one thing, I did not comment on Boogie as a person, my previous post was 100% basketball. Off the court and away from the team he was an outstanding community leader and Sacramento loved him. As far as I can tell, he loved it back. But it never worked on the court and some part of the blame has to be his, IMO.

Regarding them still sucking, well yes; that is expected because that is how tanking works.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

Regarding them still sucking, well yes; that is expected because that is how tanking works.

For 12 seasons!? 

:huh:

Edited by RedDogNamedClippers

20 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

For 12 seasons!? 

:huh:

He was specifically talking about sucking since the Boogie trade, which was when the tank came into full effect.  Before that, they were trying to win.

You don't have to remind me about the Sac ineptitude; I know. 

9 hours ago, jay14bay said:

He was specifically talking about sucking since the Boogie trade, which was when the tank came into full effect.  Before that, they were trying to win.

You don't have to remind me about the Sac ineptitude; I know. 

Nah, I was talking about all of the last decade. Boogie was the most right thing that franchise did on the court. Honestly, I think the downward spiral that they can't escape happened when they fired Malone after overachieving and then losing Boogie to injury and losing while he was out and then firing Malone. That was the point where I thought Boogie just mentally checked out and knew the Kings were a joke...and he wasn't wrong.

I guess I just find it so tough to understand how Boogie can be such an amazing person off of the court and in his community. I think that the competitor in him just couldn't thrive in the toxic Kings environment. Obviously, he was younger and immature, but I just don't think Boogie can be considered a cancer on a team. 

51 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Nah, I was talking about all of the last decade. Boogie was the most right thing that franchise did on the court. Honestly, I think the downward spiral that they can't escape happened when they fired Malone after overachieving and then losing Boogie to injury and losing while he was out and then firing Malone. That was the point where I thought Boogie just mentally checked out and knew the Kings were a joke...and he wasn't wrong.

I guess I just find it so tough to understand how Boogie can be such an amazing person off of the court and in his community. I think that the competitor in him just couldn't thrive in the toxic Kings environment. Obviously, he was younger and immature, but I just don't think Boogie can be considered a cancer on a team. 

Frankly it’s not so difficult to understand.  We’ve all had crap jobs where we gave half effort.  We’ve had bosses we didn’t like.  But that doesn’t mean we became losers or abusers in the community.  In fact when things were going poorly at one of my jobs I volunteered to work at a dog shelter as it was a release and made me feel good about myself after feeling terrible at work.  Maybe Boogie is volunteering even harder to make himself feel better after dealing with so much criticism.  Then there are professional athletes who have great reputations on the court but have a reputation for being irresponsible off the court.  I don’t think people are always consistent, I think they change their behavior based on context.  

• Like 1

Being a good guy off the court has absolutely nothing to do with not getting back on defense or having emotional outbursts on the court or in the locker room.  smh

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

Being a good guy off the court has absolutely nothing to do with not getting back on defense or having emotional outbursts on the court or in the locker room.  smh

Yes and as we are basketball fans we should really only care about his performance on the court.  I mean his extracurriculars are good but don’t negate his on court issues.  Jordan was a degenerate gambler but people don’t remember that they only remember him for being a champion.  We can give boogie a citizenship award but we’re talking about fantasy bball.