Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

Sort of regardless of how he does the rest of the year, he’s shown he belongs playing in the Majors. That’s impressive as hell for a 19yr old, obviously. 

If he were to somehow keep up something similar to this...good lord. That is all time great. Where does he get drafted next year? What’s his value overall? Insane to think of it from where he started the season. 

This may sound crazy....but his value is up!

Just now, mcbane said:

Sort of regardless of how he does the rest of the year, he’s shown he belongs playing in the Majors. That’s impressive as hell for a 19yr old, obviously. 

If he were to somehow keep up something similar to this...good lord. That is all time great. Where does he get drafted next year? What’s his value overall? Insane to think of it from where he started the season. 

This may sound crazy....but his value is up!

I have him equal to vlad jr in dynasty value right now, who many people consider close to a top 10 asset overall.  I’d put both around 15-20 overall.

i think where he gets drafted next year depends on how many hr/sb he ends up with.  Right now his 162 game pace is basically 20hr/10sb but if you watch him play he definitely seems to be focusing 100% on just making good at bats and getting the ball in play, which is clearly working for him, but I see him getting more confident throughout the season and going for more hr.  Remember he hit 14 hr in just 39 minor league games this year so he has easy 30+ hr power.  He’ll probably be a moderate risk very high reward pick next year going somewhere between 30-50 overall in redrafts

Here’s the question. What happens to his playing time when Eaton returns?

Harper, Eaton, Taylor, Soto

he has to play right? Can’t bring him up to sit him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shinoix said:

Here’s the question. What happens to his playing time when Eaton returns?

Harper, Eaton, Taylor, Soto

he has to play right? Can’t bring him up to sit him. 

Talked about ad nauseam the last couple pages. Take a look, its a good read.  Basic thoughts are Soto should NOT lose PT to Michael Taylor batting a scorching .215. But no one really knows what WAS will do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kelle1sa said:

Talked about ad nauseam the last couple pages. Take a look, its a good read.  Basic thoughts are Soto should NOT lose PT to Michael Taylor batting a scorching .215. But no one really knows what WAS will do.

Agreed. Sorry I’ll scroll back. Taylor is on fire lately though.

Yeah Taylor is just a holding spot for Eaton the he will be the 4th outfielder.  I’m sure Eaton won’t play every game when he comes back for the first couple weeks. 

I'm sure Taylor will become the OF 4, Eaton should get days off rather often I'd assume once he's back so they can monitor his health and not push him too hard. Have to see how things play out of course, but I feel like Taylor has had his chances to show what he can do and we've seen the ok results.

Soto 19 or not should get to keep playing regularly, he hasn't given the team any reasons not to keep starting him. If he slumps at some point then maybe there will be more rotating between Soto and Taylor of course. If his skill set can cut and paste from the minors to bigs and continues to do his thing, they should let him run with it.

9 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

I have him equal to vlad jr in dynasty value right now, who many people consider close to a top 10 asset overall.  I’d put both around 15-20 overall.

i think where he gets drafted next year depends on how many hr/sb he ends up with.  Right now his 162 game pace is basically 20hr/10sb but if you watch him play he definitely seems to be focusing 100% on just making good at bats and getting the ball in play, which is clearly working for him, but I see him getting more confident throughout the season and going for more hr.  Remember he hit 14 hr in just 39 minor league games this year so he has easy 30+ hr power.  He’ll probably be a moderate risk very high reward pick next year going somewhere between 30-50 overall in redrafts

Yeah, he has massive power, and has shown that in the minors. So, for me, if he keeps the avg/obp up throughout the year with some spotty HR totals (10-12ish) but he keeps hitting doubles, I think some people will go 3rd round for him. It’ll be too tempting to say he’ll start turning those to HR’s and become this massive star we’ve seen out of the Trouts, or how people speculate on Vlady Jr. it’s very interesting. 

3 hours ago, AndyReidMustGo...Now said:

I don’t watch him regularly. Does anyone have any info about his defense? Range, arm, etc. ?

Yeah, they’re all awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heynman says that he heard from baseball execs that Soto was an 80M signing, presumably meaning that will be his relative worth until he becomes a free agent 

Man it's so surreal watching this guy rake. This time last year Robles was supposed to be the next big 5-tool guy, Acuna was supposed to be the next Robles and Soto was supposed to be the next Acuna. Now we have Acuna and Soto doing their s--- while Robles is sucking on his elbow.

Can any Nationals fans report on what the feeling is around Eaton's impending return? 

Logic would dictate Taylor would go to the bench, becoming the 4th OF and/or splitting time with Eaton who probably can't play every day and expect to stay healthy. I'm just still hearing that Soto *could* be optioned to AAA to keep him playing every day. 

7 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Can any Nationals fans report on what the feeling is around Eaton's impending return? 

Logic would dictate Taylor would go to the bench, becoming the 4th OF and/or splitting time with Eaton who probably can't play every day and expect to stay healthy. I'm just still hearing that Soto *could* be optioned to AAA to keep him playing every day. 

Who you hearing (reading) this from ^^^^^ about optioning 

I use common sense on Juan Soto ... the dude is impressive he is staying in Washington playing everyday until .....

here is an interesting article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/06/07/juan-soto-was-supposed-to-be-two-years-away-but-hes-shown-he-belongs-right-now/?utm_term=.06f51ffdcb76

It's tough to say what will happen.  Bottom line, I think the Nats would be crazy to send Soto back down with the way he's hitting.  But Taylor is an excellent defensive CF and the only right handed bat in the OF so I don't see him becoming the exclusive 4th OF.  I could see some sort of platoon situation where the Nats will sometimes go with Soto in LF, Eaton in CF, and Harper in RF against righties.  But I don't think that will be the everyday lineup against righties.  I think Soto, Eaton, and even Harper may get the occasional day off.  But let's be honest, this is only temporary until Eaton finds a way to hurt himself again.   I bet Soto sits one day a week, Eaton sits 1-2, Harper every once in a while, and Taylor sits 3.  Definitely going to be a logjam.  Eaton could be back as early as today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

It's tough to say what will happen.  Bottom line, I think the Nats would be crazy to send Soto back down with the way he's hitting.  But Taylor is an excellent defensive CF and the only right handed bat in the OF so I don't see him becoming the exclusive 4th OF.  I could see some sort of platoon situation where the Nats will sometimes go with Soto in LF, Eaton in CF, and Harper in RF against righties.  But I don't think that will be the everyday lineup against righties.  I think Soto, Eaton, and even Harper may get the occasional day off.  But let's be honest, this is only temporary until Eaton finds a way to hurt himself again.   I bet Soto sits one day a week, Eaton sits 1-2, Harper every once in a while, and Taylor sits 3.  Definitely going to be a logjam.  Eaton could be back as early as today.

I agree; I'd assume Taylor is essentially the 4th OF but everybody gets a lot of days off. I love Soto but he's 19 and hasn't played a full season, yet; they're going to want to make sure he doesn't get worn down or hurt as the season goes along and that's going to mean days off. There's no way in h I can see him going back to AAA; he's demonstrated that the bat has nothing to learn from AAA pitching.

I doubt he gets sent down, but his playing time could be more sporadic. I wouldn't get too down. Eaton will probably slip on a banana peel in the next week or so.

19 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Who you hearing (reading) this from ^^^^^ about optioning 

I use common sense on Juan Soto ... the dude is impressive he is staying in Washington playing everyday until .....

here is an interesting article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/06/07/juan-soto-was-supposed-to-be-two-years-away-but-hes-shown-he-belongs-right-now/?utm_term=.06f51ffdcb76

From today's Daily Dose article: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/80362/13/daily-dose-ring-the-bellinger

Adam Eaton (ankle) is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday, which could force the Nationals to send Juan Soto back to Triple-A in order to play on a nightly basis. The other option would be to bench Michael Taylor

Just seems to me he’s either a full time starter or he gets sent back to be a full time starter.

it’d be different if he was just staying afloat but he looks like a legit major leaguer right now.  Give him every opportunity to succeed.  They know what they have in Taylor and that is a 4th OF with good D and speed. 

The Nats want/need to win this year as its probably Harper's last year.  What player gives them the best chance to do that?  Soto or Taylor?  Soto by far.  I think that's your answer.

• Like 2

I think it's worth noting a couple things here. 

1) He's been injured before. They know this guy can be a superstar so they may want to be careful with how much they let him play. Harper had a lot of injuries early on and they might've learned something from that when bringing up superstars. 

2) In his entire career, he's NEVER played above 51 games in a single season and that was back in 2016. He's already at 39 games this year. There is still a lot of baseball left, so they might want to monitor how his body handles this extra workload that he hasn't experienced yet. 

Personally, I don't think he gets sent down, but I also won't be surprised if he plays way less compared to an everyday starter until the next Eaton, Taylor or Harper gets injured. 

• Like 1

RW Blurb-age/articles keep hammering the idea that he might get sent down for regular ab's...

So, yeah I would not give it much of a chance of happening...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

From today's Daily Dose article: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/80362/13/daily-dose-ring-the-bellinger

Adam Eaton (ankle) is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday, which could force the Nationals to send Juan Soto back to Triple-A in order to play on a nightly basis. The other option would be to bench Michael Taylor

I think that last part is key - The other option would be to bench Michael Taylor. 

He may get sent down, it’d be a little weird,  but the odds they prefer Taylor or Eaton doesn’t inmediatly turn to dust the first time he dives for a ball are pretty damn high.