Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

I bet he smashes a home run in his first at bat tonight to get rid of these ideas that he could be sent down. It would be ludicrous to send him down after hitting .350 ... he should be up so he can maybe teach harper how to stop hitting .220

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, richg24 said:

I bet he smashes a home run in his first at bat tonight to get rid of these ideas that he could be sent down. It would be ludicrous to send him down after hitting .350 ... he should be up so he can maybe teach harper how to stop hitting .220

Hey hey heyyy keep it above the belt and below the HAIR here aight??? 

First pitch dinger would quiet this place down though, or maybe not. 

2 hours ago, dannyusf said:

I think it's worth noting a couple things here. 

1) He's been injured before. They know this guy can be a superstar so they may want to be careful with how much they let him play. Harper had a lot of injuries early on and they might've learned something from that when bringing up superstars. 

2) In his entire career, he's NEVER played above 51 games in a single season and that was back in 2016. He's already at 39 games this year. There is still a lot of baseball left, so they might want to monitor how his body handles this extra workload that he hasn't experienced yet. 

Personally, I don't think he gets sent down, but I also won't be surprised if he plays way less compared to an everyday starter until the next Eaton, Taylor or Harper gets injured. 

His sample size is way too small to be worried about that.  They aren't going to sit him just out of caution.  If they send him down he will be playing every day in the minors too so it's not like his injury risk is decreased by sending him down.

Edited by The Waker

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

His sample size is way too small to be worried about that.  They aren't going to sit him just out of caution.  If they send him down he will be playing every day in the minors too so it's not like his injury risk is decreased by sending him down.

I think that's sort of his point; he can face more appropriate competition staying in the Majors and you can monitor his workload. Small sample size or not, the kid is 19 and not at physical maturity. From a developmental and health standpoint, I think playing 75% of the time in the Majors is better than playing 100% of the time in the minors.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I think that's sort of his point; he can face more appropriate competition staying in the Majors and you can monitor his workload. Small sample size or not, the kid is 19 and not at physical maturity. From a developmental and health standpoint, I think playing 75% of the time in the Majors is better than playing 100% of the time in the minors.

Ah i see now thank you

• Like 2

I'd guess that the Nats will bring Eaton on slowly.  Soto & Taylor probably still get 4-5 games a week.  If Taylor cools off again Soto gets more PT.  Meanwhile Eaton has to stay healthy.  Doubt they just outright send Soto down unless they fall out of the playoff hunt or he falls off sharply.

Edited by ragrag

just hit a 2 run bomb.  i cant believe he's 19....I cant even imagine being in the Big Leagues at that age and he's raking up there

7 hours ago, richg24 said:

So close.

This 19 yr old has as many K's and he does walks and all 3 of his HR's have been off LHP. What a special hitter

• Like 1

Just now, Philoumenos said:

A thing of beauty

Thats easssssy oppo power

Effortless oppo power. 1.20 OPS vs LHP, not including the HR.

5 hours ago, ragrag said:

I'd guess that the Nats will bring Eaton on slowly.  Soto & Taylor probably still get 4-5 games a week.  If Taylor cools off again Soto gets more PT.  Meanwhile Eaton has to stay healthy.  Doubt they just outright send Soto down unless they fall out of the playoff hunt or he falls off sharply.

I cant really see this. If the kid is hitting .350+ and oppo bombs off lefties, you bench Taylor and play Eaton. But you don’t bench Soto. Not until he gives you a reason to. 

Soto isn’t going to the bench. Taylor is 100% going to be the one to lose PT to Eaton.

Edited by Helms

On 6/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, AndyReidMustGo...Now said:

I don’t watch him regularly. Does anyone have any info about his defense? Range, arm, etc. ?

He looks lost in left field. Takes bad routes, isn't the fastest guy either. Taylor is a plus defender in CF. I think Soto will get the nod over Taylor, but it won't be because of his defense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

isn't the fastest guy either.

He was clocked at 4.07 home to first earlier in the year. He isn’t slow!nobody wants Soto for his defence, I think it’s the bat we are after.

I only asked about his defense because some MLB managers like to have solid defensive players in there. But, if he keeps hitting and getting on base like this, I think Davey’s hands might be tied.

7 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

He was clocked at 4.07 home to first earlier in the year. He isn’t slow!nobody wants Soto for his defence, I think it’s the bat we are after.

His speed has not translated... Maybe it's because of the bad routes but he does not look fast in the outfield or on the basepaths

He's also as we've said many times...all of 19 years old. Learning fielding routes and even the particular weirdness of each ballpark is something he will and can do over the course of a season.

His defense isn't so bad that he should be losing anytime to Taylor.At worst, maybe Taylor will be a late-inning entrant for close games.

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind is that he's been RF throughout his MILB career and now in the majors he's mostly playing LF for obvious reasons

• Like 4

I actually think the Nationals trade him for Mark Melancon.  They are going to give it another shot and hope he actually stays healthy.  Besides, Soto is making a lot of the other players on the team look bad.  Gotta stroke those egos and get that 6th inning guy.  Wait, a 6th inning guy?

In all seriousness, is this talk of Soto possibly not getting everyday playing time once Eaton returns ever going to stop?  Obviously none of us can know without a shadow of a doubt, but he's making it about as close to that as humanly possible.  Other than the continued marveling over each passing strong game he has at his age, that's pretty much all that I'm unfortunately having to read in here.  I'm sure the Nationals' front office would all have big "WTF's" all over their faces if they came on here and read this thread on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

nobody wants Soto for his defence, I think it’s the bat we are after.

Yeah except the discussion is whether or not he starts every day and his defense most certainly is a factor as to whether or not he starts every day.  OBVIOUSLY.

19 minutes ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

outfield or on the basepaths

He stole third. That’s kinda cool. I know he timed it up but that’s what makes it better. He has the speed and the knowledge to do it. If you think he is gonna steal 30 bags and track balls like JBJ then you are fooling yourself. His speed is fine.Find something else to complain about.

2 minutes ago, CAT said:

Yeah except the discussion is whether or not he starts every day and his defense most certainly is a factor as to whether or not he starts every day.  OBVIOUSLY.

They have no idea what they are talking about...

how owe about that rotoworld guy writing that Juan Soto could get sent down.