Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, Travis C. said:

Is this our Soto slump we've been waiting for? 0-5 with 4ks the past two games

No because he had a good eye at the plate even with 4ks

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

He legitimately cannot hit Sliders.(he's seen over 200 of them, 37% K rate and 72% GB rate with a .457 OPS) However he has a 16% O-Swing against them. So any pitcher that can throw Sliders for strikes will give him problems. Using his own patience and eye by getting quickly ahead in the count. Throwing Sliders for in the zone that he wont swing at before he gets to 2 strikes because he can read spin.

Not every pitcher throws Sliders, and not everyone that can throw an effectively Slider. Can spot the location good enough to consistently hit the Strike zone w/o giving cement mixers. Which means its a specific problem he faces against a certain group of pitchers.

Its a completely different thing than Byron Buxton's notorious Slider problem.. because Buxton swings at a ton of sliders outside the zone probably because he cannot actually read spin good enough. So any junkballer can get him since they don't have to worry about locating.

TDLR: Yes he does have a weakness, no I am not worried because its a game plan not all pitchers can successfully pull off.

Spot on. And not super surprising he is having a hard time vs major league quality sliders. He’s 19 and can already lay off ones outside the zone, so I would expect him to progress as he gets older to having some success against the pitch. 

Mostly, it isn’t just some revelation pitchers just had on how to beat him. 

Is there a league above MLB that he can be promoted to? Because MLB obviously isn't a challenge and that other league is starting to complain that he is only being held back in the MLB because of service time issues. 

• Haha 3

I really think the Nats should bat Soto behind Turner more. Given that pitchers are now throwing Soto breaking balls 50% of the time it would give Turner better opportunities to steal bases(if he's on). And if pitchers are worried about Turner stealing those bases they might be throwing Soto more fastballs to give their catcher a better chance to throw him out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RotoGenius said:

Is there a league above MLB that he can be promoted to? Because MLB obviously isn't a challenge and that other league is starting to complain that he is only being held back in the MLB because of service time issues. 

ya but didn't you hear he was entering a "soto-slump" because he was hitless for 2 games (after going 3/3 with a 3 shot bomb the game before that) and people were worried about him hitting off-speed pitches? loll

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, richg24 said:

ya but didn't you hear he was entering a "soto-slump" because he was hitless for 2 games (after going 3/3 with a 3 shot bomb the game before that) and people were worried about him hitting off-speed pitches? loll

Careful! His OBP has dipped to below .429!!

• Haha 1

He’d better watch all that agro staring down the pitcher between pitches noise.  Pulls that s--- with a hothead arm and he’s gonna get one on the knuckles.  Also needs to be more mindful on the basepaths. Getting thrown out 2x today was a sloppy look.

Edited by ragrag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

He’d better watch all that agro staring down the pitcher between pitches noise.  Pulls that s--- with a hothead arm and he’s gonna get one on the knuckles.  Also needs to be more mindful on the basepaths. Getting thrown out 2x today was a sloppy look.

That was absolutely ridiculous. No idea what's wrong with this kid, but he's got some issues (and yes, he can rake, I know).

Edited by absknicks

Would prefer he goes 0-3 with 2 k’s when they don’t score.  Hurts when they put up 9 and he has nothing to do with it.  Sigh.

Why is it so en vougue to bitch about this kid?  Every single day there's a new crap post against him.  What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, ShaneMT31 said:

Why is it so en vougue to bitch about this kid?  Every single day there's a new crap post against him.  What am I missing here?

They don't own Soto. 

#pb&jelly!!!

:D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShaneMT31 said:

Watch the games and you'll understand. At least in regards to the staring/posturing stuff. 

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

When you got it, flaunt it.

Yeah, that approach helped Harper a lot.  Instead of being one of the most popular players in the game, most people hate him.

He's 19.  He's proven nothing, he's won nothing.  Anyone who's played a sport knows you don't act like hot s--- until you earn it.  Doing so at this point in his career will make not only his opponents hate him, but his own teammates as well.  Someone like Harper or Zimmerman needs to sit him down and tell him what's up before he starts seeing high heaters thrown behind his head.

No idea what is going on with Soto.  Can someone give me the CliffsNotes?

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

No idea what is going on with Soto.  Can someone give me the CliffsNotes?

Someone who doesn’t own him in a fantasy league saw him look at a pitcher too long.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, CAT said:

Yeah, that approach helped Harper a lot.  Instead of being one of the most popular players in the game, most people hate him.

He's 19.  He's proven nothing, he's won nothing.  Anyone who's played a sport knows you don't act like hot s--- until you earn it.  Doing so at this point in his career will make not only his opponents hate him, but his own teammates as well.  Someone like Harper or Zimmerman needs to sit him down and tell him what's up before he starts seeing high heaters thrown behind his head.

When you bat over .300 as a 19 year old in the bigs i dont think anything harper or zimm says will matter. He doesnt want to suck like them.

If pitchers dont want soto to look at them then get him out. 

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

When you bat over .300 as a 19 year old in the bigs i dont think anything harper or zimm says will matter. He doesnt want to suck like them.

If pitchers dont want soto to look at them then get him out. 

:rolleyes:

Or throw him strikes; he's tied for third-most BB's in the league over the last month.

9 minutes ago, CAT said:

:rolleyes:

Exactly.  Veterans like those two have plenty of knowledge regardless of what they've done this season, and Zimmerman has been pretty hot now that he's actually getting playing time again.  Wait, I forgot.  Soto is a god.  My bad...

11 hours ago, ShaneMT31 said:

He is a bit cocky; I noticed it too a little while back when he took a walk against Kimbrel after falling behind 0-2.  Part of me likes the tenacity he brings to the game, the baseball purist in me wants him to eat some humble pie.

For the record, I love Soto.  I lean towards showing some emotion.  The baseball purist mentality tends to hurt the game because they resist change.  Baseball players' personalities change over time.  If it's good for the game I'm all for it.

Anyone have a good “Han Soto” picture for my dynasty team thumbnail?