Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

I still don’t believe Juan is 19.  This is insane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FUM said:

I still don’t believe Juan is 19.  This is insane.

That's because he's not, and his name isn't even Juan Soto... ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Juan Soto stolen bases all season (over 100+ games in the majors) before today: 2

Juan Soto stolen bases today through 4 innings: 3

Fantasy sports are weird.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Juan Soto stolen bases all season (over 100+ games in the majors) before today: 2

Juan Soto stolen bases today through 4 innings: 3

Fantasy sports are weird.

Really?  I’m only seeing one SB today in the box score.  

3 SBs for this uber-stud and it's the 4th inning. Because, you know, he hasn't done enough this year.

19 years old. 

.420 OBP.

30 HR per 550 AB pace.

Related image

• Like 6

15 hours ago, metropolitans said:

Now that's 20 HR by the 19yo phenom.... Wow, words really dont exist to describe how good he is already

Add on a 3 SB day just to diversify his portfolio... If this kid suddenly realizes that he can steal bases too?! Oh man, Acuna might not have a strangle hold on the NL ROY just yet!

5th in MLB in walk rate at 16% (if he qualified). 7.7% swinging strike rate.  It is absurd how far ahead of the curve this guy is at 19 years old. Generational type talent. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DidiFan said:

5th in MLB in walk rate at 16% (if he qualified). 7.7% swinging strike rate.  It is absurd how far ahead of the curve this guy is at 19 years old. Generational type talent. 

agreed

he could be the 'Bonds' to Acuna's 'Griffey'. 

he's such a phenomenal pure hitter, I almost envision it nerfing his home run totals in a weird way, but nothing about his performance or skills seem flukey, and I think he'll be an elite overall hitter for years. His approach is so unique (old school?) that it's hard to find an apt player comparison. Am I off, thinking he could become 'Votto lite' in the outfield?

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

agreed

he could be the 'Bonds' to Acuna's 'Griffey'. 

he's such a phenomenal pure hitter, I almost envision it nerfing his home run totals in a weird way, but nothing about his performance or skills seem flukey, and I think he'll be an elite overall hitter for years. His approach is so unique (old school?) that it's hard to find an apt player comparison. Am I off, thinking he could become 'Votto lite' in the outfield?

It is always seems ridiculously premature to compare a young player to an MLB star.  That being said he's batting approach is unprecedented for his age. If we're talking what he "could" become I don't think you need to add the "lite" qualifier.  

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

It is always seems ridiculously premature to compare a young player to an MLB star.  That being said he's batting approach is unprecedented for his age. If we're talking what he "could" become I don't think you need to add the "lite" qualifier.  

I think Soto is prodigious enough that we can make lofty comparisons. 

Votto has a career .957 OPS, a number which would warrant MVP consideration in any singular year for most any player, so while I think Soto's rare combination of discipline, approach, and strength is reminiscent of Votto, I felt required to add the "Lite" out of respect to one of the best - and most underrated - hitters to ever live. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

Dude is a hitter. On that we all agree. But as an owner in a keep forever league, I am questioning his value in fantasy. 

Some of the names mentioned, Bonds (greatest ever, but we got the point) and Votto in particular, had SBs as part of their game. Votto’s true fantasy came in part because he was a 1B stealing double digit bases. 

Soto sat on 2 SBs for a long time before the 3 in one game v. ATL, and his minor league record (albeit short) doesn’t appear that it will be a large part of his game. 

I guess I worry that he’s going to need to be prime Miggy or prime Pujols to hold fantasy value that approaches his real-life value. 

Anyone think his outlook, while extremely bright, might be a bit overrated (fantasy-wise)? I mean, Arenado puts up .297/104/38/110/2 and ranks 23rd in 5 x 5 (ESPN Player Rater). 

I’ll take that any day on my team, of course. But Soto may not be the consistent 1st rounder we’re hoping for. 

Right now, no he's not a 1st round talent. 

Votto only ever reached double digit like twice. This year Freeman stole 10 bags and JDM stole 6.  Carlos Santana reached 5 SBs often in his career.

Consider than Nolan is a .291 hitter that has only hit .300 once his career. If you think he's more likely to consistently competing for batting titles. He will get much closer to 1st round value for sure.  That ESPN player rater ranked Freeman's 23/94/98/10 season just over Bregmans 31/105/103/10 season.

That Player rate believes 23 point difference in BA is worth slightly more than 7 HRs, 9 RBIs, 5 Runs.

• Like 1