tywalson

Seranthony Dominguez 2018 Outlook

Seranthony has thrown 6.2 perfect innings since being called up and is being put into more higher leverage situations every appearance. He just recorded a 2 inning save with 2 K’s and now has 7:0 K:BB over these 6.2 innings. 

It sure looks like he could run away with the job but who knows with Kapler. He has the stuff that’s for sure and there’s not much talent in that bullpen. The Phils are winning and they need consistency at the end of that pen to keep doing so. I think he’s close to a must add at this point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InMyBagYo said:

Fireman with save opportunities a la Hader is an amazing asset for a manager.  Instead of being the closer outright I can see him being used like this.  Extremely valuable in real world terms. 

Or he'll eventually just close...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Fireman with save opportunities a la Hader is an amazing asset for a manager.  Instead of being the closer outright I can see him being used like this.  Extremely valuable in real world terms. 

Or he'll eventually just close...

Agreed. And in fantasy as well. With a team where your pitchers are high K, high ERA type of pitchers, a reliever with solid ratios helps, especially in Roto leagues. 

Hopefully he's made the closer.  You need somone that can handle that job and he's the right man for it on the Phils.  Added him on nearly all my teams.

• Like 1

I was pretty upset when the Phillies gave up on him as a starter before the season started. I don't  think his results warranted being given up on so prematurely, but given what we've seen since the conversion it's hard to question their decision. He blazed through AA and AAA already this year and he's having nearly unprecedented success early at the major league level.  At least for now his days as a starter are done, but there's certainly worse things to be than a closer on one of baseball's up and comers. I just hope this save opportunity was 1 of many going forward.

What kind of stuff and velocity does he have?

12 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

What kind of stuff and velocity does he have?

Very good stuff. He mainly throws fastballs and sliders. His FB velo is averaging 97.8 MPH this season. He's only pitched in 6 games, but his FB pitch value is sitting at 3.8.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Only thing keeping him from being named the closer is Kapler. 

Kapler actually helps.  Imagine if he was on the giants.  He wouldn’t close until he was much older, acquired a little bit of a gut, and hairline began receeding. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, tywalson said:

Seranthony has thrown 6.2 perfect innings since being called up and is being put into more higher leverage situations every appearance. He just recorded a 2 inning save with 2 K’s and now has 7:0 K:BB over these 6.2 innings. 

It sure looks like he could run away with the job but who knows with Kapler. He has the stuff that’s for sure and there’s not much talent in that bullpen. The Phils are winning and they need consistency at the end of that pen to keep doing so. I think he’s close to a must add at this point. 

It's not like there's a dearth of talent in the Philly bullpen. Ramos and Arano are having great seasons. Garcia is having a decent season, and we'll see if Hunter can get back to his 2017 form. Dominguez may very well be the best arm in that pen and he may be the closer ROS, but there are other capable RPs in that pen. I do believe it'll come down to him and Ramos in the end, and it could become a situation in which the more talented arm gets deployed as the fireman/7th-8th guy...similar to Miller and Allen. 

Or Kapler could just shake his Magic 8 Ball to figure out which one gets to close a game out on any given night. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

It's not like there's a dearth of talent in the Philly bullpen. Ramos and Arano are having great seasons. Garcia is having a decent season, and we'll see if Hunter can get back to his 2017 form. Dominguez may very well be the best arm in that pen and he may be the closer ROS, but there are other capable RPs in that pen. I do believe it'll come down to him and Ramos in the end, and it could become a situation in which the more talented arm gets deployed as the fireman/7th-8th guy...similar to Miller and Allen. 

Or Kapler could just shake his Magic 8 Ball to figure out which one gets to close a game out on any given night. 

Exactly. Their bullpen has been pretty fantastic while what were supposed to be the top arms in the pen in Neris, Neshek, and Hunter have been either injured or underperforming.

Kapler gets a hard time because he seems to over-manage, but as someone who criticized the guy early on, even I have to admit he has also shown the ability to learn from mistakes and put guys in a position to succeed.  If Seranthony gives them the best chance to succeed I could seem him getting a pretty consistent usage.

2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Exactly. Their bullpen has been pretty fantastic while what were supposed to be the top arms in the pen in Neris, Neshek, and Hunter have been either injured or underperforming.

Kapler gets a hard time because he seems to over-manage, but as someone who criticized the guy early on, even I have to admit he has also shown the ability to learn from mistakes and put guys in a position to succeed.  If Seranthony gives them the best chance to succeed I could seem him getting a pretty consistent usage.

I agree about Kapler. He gets a hard time in the fantasy community, lol, but he's been doing something right so far. The Phighting Phils are 26-17...whooda thunk it. 

I tend to lean towards Dominguez getting the same type of role as Miller and Hader (2017) because he was a SP prior to this year, whereas Ramos has always been a RP. But with Kapler, roles seem to be very fluid, and thus far, that has been working for him. 

10 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yea, Have to give him credit for learning from mistakes and changing.  Many managers are too stubborn to do that.  I think kapler wanted to set the world on fire that first week and it blew up in his face.  He’s improved since.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Very good stuff. He mainly throws fastballs and sliders. His FB velo is averaging 97.8 MPH this season. He's only pitched in 6 games, but his FB pitch value is sitting at 3.8.

On top of this, he induces quite a few ground balls which is extremely useful in today's HR prone league.

If you’re in a league that gives value to holds this guy is becoming a must have. Pitched 1.1 IP and struck out 3. Went 3-0 to the last batter which wasn’t great but came back with 3 straight strikes for the punchout.

Rest of the bullpen blew the lead once they pulled him, it’s a small sample but he’s been their best and most reliable RP.

He goes 2 scoreless tonight to pick up his 2nd save and put his career line at

13 2/3IP 2H 0ER 0BB 15K good for a   .15WHIP 1.14FIP 

Anyone in a dynasty considering trying to cash in? I know the offers I'm getting so far aren't even close.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

He goes 2 scoreless tonight to pick up his 2nd save and put his career line at

13 2/3IP 2H 0ER 0BB 15K good for a   .15WHIP 1.14FIP 

Anyone in a dynasty considering trying to cash in? I know the offers I'm getting so far aren't even close.

Dominguez is clearly the most dominant reliever in the Philly pen.  While Dominguez may be deemed too valuable to be the traditional closer are you expecting him to get 10+ saves this season?  I could see more multi inning saves occurring against good teams in tight situations.

3 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Dominguez is clearly the most dominant reliever in the Philly pen.  While Dominguez may be deemed too valuable to be the traditional closer are you expecting him to get 10+ saves this season?  I could see more multi inning saves occurring against good teams in tight situations.

Yes...

To be honest, I could use a little more K-bell

As a fantasy owner I can't stand how Kapler does things but I can understand why he does them. I think they oughta give him more shots in the ninth, but they pretty much want him to become another Hader.