12to6

Dennis Santana - SP, LAD

Time for his own thread, I suppose. With Walker's promotion to the bigs, some are calling him the best SP prospect in the Dodgers' system. His AAA debut went swimmingly yesterday, throwing 6IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 11Ks. 

He was a former two-way player who switched to pitching full-time.

Prior to his promotion to AAA:

The right-hander was 0-2 with a 2.56 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Tulsa, striking out 51 and walking 14 over 38 2/3 innings. He allowed 26 hits and opponents were batting .186 against him, prompting his promotion.

His stuff:

His fastball sits between 93-95 mph and tops out at 98 and scouts say the heater features so much sink that it creates a lot of strikeouts and groundouts. He's had issues commanding his pitches and was walking 4.3 batters per nine innings entering the season.  However, he walked none against Nashville and is averaging 3.2 per nine innings this year.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-dodgers-dennis-santana-strikes-out-11-in-triple-a-debut/c-277476074

According to Prospect 365:

Dennis Santana is commonly known as a former two-way player who’s now pitching full time, but I’m here to tell you it’s time to take notice of what he brings to the table as a pitching prospect. Santana, who’s currently a stalwart in the AA Tulsa rotation, currently has a 2.12 ERA with 35.0 K% in 34 IP this season. For those of you who prefer K/9 to K%, that’s 12.7 strikeouts per nine innings. At 22 years old, Santana has been nothing short of electric thus far in 2018. The right hander possesses two plus pitches (a fastball and slider) and an above-average pitch (changeup) that’s aided by the effectiveness of the fastball. Santana’s command has always left some to be desired, but so far he’s only walked 7.3% of the batters he’s faced (2.7 BB/9). The Dodgers, as you know, are perhaps the best organization in baseball when it comes to developing pitchers, so I’m certainly intrigued by Santana’s amazing start this season. If he can sustain the low walk-rate while maintaining the whiffs, we’ve probably got a top 100 prospect on our hands heading into next season.

https://prospects-365.com/2018/05/14/rays-ramblings-may-14th/

FG had him listed as a 45FV and said he's projecting as a #4 starter but trending up. They graded his FB and Curve as 55/60; Change as 50/55 and Command as 45/50. If he improves his command, which it looks like he has, then that ceiling goes up.

Edited by 12to6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He does deserve this tread. He is looking better than projected so far it seems. I passed on him earlier this week in favor of Chris Paddock. With our next sup draft in 3 weeks I'll be in on him if he continues this...of course if he does he might be in LA.

hey with my last reply I've advanced from AAA to the show! Took me a lot longer than Soto....

He's a stud, Dodgers may consider him to fill in for Rich Hill this next week but im guessing it'll be Brock Stewart. 

39 minutes ago, accudart said:

hey with my last reply I've advanced from AAA to the show! Took me a lot longer than Soto....

Huh?

1 hour ago, accudart said:

well your a Superstar KilloWertz.....I just moved up from AAA to rookie!

I get it.  Never mind... :)

with Santana getting called up and meade hurt do you think he make sa couple of starts?

I don't think this is going to be "The" Call up. He's just up for a few days to get his feet wet helping out the bullpen. I don't believe Maeda's injury is serious. 

23 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I don't think this is going to be "The" Call up. He's just up for a few days to get his feet wet helping out the bullpen. I don't believe Maeda's injury is serious. 

I think he sticks until rotation healthy if he slays in coors on Saturday.