• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Sign in to follow this  
InMyBagYo

Clayton Richard 2018 Outlook

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/padres-clayton-richard-shuts-down-pirates-in-win/

OK, we all know he had a bad year last year, but he's been great his last 3 starts. He pitches deep into games, and he gets a solid amount of strikeouts. The fact that he doesn't have a thread yet is crazy. I'm not saying he's an automatic pickup, but he wouldn't be a bad option at the end of your bench either. 

10 hours ago, InMyBagYo said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/padres-clayton-richard-shuts-down-pirates-in-win/

OK, we all know he had a bad year last year, but he's been great his last 3 starts. He pitches deep into games, and he gets a solid amount of strikeouts. The fact that he doesn't have a thread yet is crazy. I'm not saying he's an automatic pickup, but he wouldn't be a bad option at the end of your bench either. 

I currently have him rostered. He has pitched well of late. He's a guy that can put up a great few games, but he can also drop a bomb in their and destroy your day/week.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

I currently have him rostered. He has pitched well of late. He's a guy that can put up a great few games, but he can also drop a bomb in their and destroy your day/week.

Yup, it's a risk worth taking though, especially in leagues where innings pitched count. Dude pitched close to 200 innings last year, and he's been durable so far this year. As volatile as he is, that should be worth more than his current 7% ownership rate. 

50 minutes ago, balancedman178 said:

Starting today? LAD has had some notoriety being poor against LHP, this guy can be a ticking time bomb though. 

Is water wet?

from his last start...

"Richard was efficient, as he needed just 99 pitches to get through seven innings and induced 14 ground balls en route to his fourth quality start in his last five outings. Over those five starts, Richard owns a sharp 3.22 ERA with a 29:5 K:BB over 36.1 innings. Especially when he's pitching at Petco Park, Richard deserves attention from fantasy owners. His next start will be another home draw Monday against Atlanta."

I'm kinda thinking hes worth an add soon to replace Gray on my team. Thoughts on his production so far?

I'm Starting him against ATL and MIA in a weekly lineup league. anyone else?

5 hours ago, MSU2661 said:

I'm Starting him against ATL and MIA in a weekly lineup league. anyone else?

For sure.

Thoughts on Richard ROS?  Is he just always going to be a streamer, or is he worth holding / pursuing?  He has a low-ish K%, but also a good GB%, so the success seems somewhat sustainable.

The other big change I've noticed is that he seems to be throwing his slider a lot more - he went from a career usage of around 10% slider, up to 15% slider in 2017, then 25% in April, which has steadily risen to 30%+ over the season.  Likely not coincidentally, this recent hot stretch has seen him throwing more sliders than ever before.  Interestingly, he's always gotten around an 18-19% whiff rate on his slider, by far the highest of all of his offerings, but it seems like just recently he put that together mentally and made an effort to throw more of them.  And FWIW, that whiff rate has maintained steady in 2018 despite the spike in usage, so at this point batters certainly haven't adjusted.

Any thoughts on if this is a new leaf turned by Richard and he can sustain this, or is this just temporary success until batters start avoiding the slider and sitting fastball?

• Like 1

No bump on this guy?  3 runs or fewer and at least 7 innings in 6 of his last 7.  And the 7th wasn’t a terrible start either.  While a couple were the Marlins, there have been some good opponents in there as well.  Guy took a no-hitter into the 7th today.  What are we looking at here?

Take a look at his career line. That is likely what you are looking at. 

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

No bump on this guy?  3 runs or fewer and at least 7 innings in 6 of his last 7.  And the 7th wasn’t a terrible start either.  While a couple were the Marlins, there have been some good opponents in there as well.  Guy took a no-hitter into the 7th today.  What are we looking at here?

Good streamer. Pick him up for the good matchups (like today), drop him and look elsewhere for the bad matchups*. 

He's a solid arm - I don't think it's necessary to own him on a long-term basis though.

* - 12-teams or less

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Take a look at his career line. That is likely what you are looking at. 

Agreed. That would be 4.35/1.42,  0.65 K/9. 

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Good streamer. Pick him up for the good matchups (like today), drop him and look elsewhere for the bad matchups*. 

He's a solid arm - I don't think it's necessary to own him on a long-term basis though.

* - 12-teams or less

Agreed. That would be 4.35/1.42,  0.65 K/9. 

What line is to be drawn between good and bad matchups?  He had QS against STL and ATL and WAS and @PIT

Posted (edited)

I think there may be something here.  Throwing slider more, basically scrapped everything else.  Backed by better defense.    Strikeouts up.  Available or cheap almost everywhere.   2.98era, .98 whip the past 6 starts. Maybe he will go back to sucking, but he’s changed how he pitches.

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

I think there may be something here.  Throwing slider more, basically scrapped everything else.  Backed by better defense.    Strikeouts up.  Available or cheap almost everywhere.   2.98era, .98 whip the past 6 starts. Maybe he will go back to sucking, but he’s changed how he pitches.

Agreed. 

A contender should look to acquire him.