My Roy Williams Tramp Stam

2018 International Prospects

been really curious about this years crop of J2-INter. prospects-I watched scouting videos of 16 year old phenom Osiel Rodriguez/this kid is unreal...I have have never seen a  6'3 16 year old who can hit high 90s, along with 2 plus secondary pitches-in the recent showcase he displayed 2 different versions of a curveball along with a very nasty sweeping slider-reports I read on him 7 months ago said he had an average changeup but in the showcase scouts were blown away by a changeup that showed incredible tumble/you can watch the video of him on YouTube but if hes only the 7th ranked international prospect...who's before him?

iits amazing how much talent is making its way over here-just look at the deep Padres system loaded in hi upside international prospects-and they are coming here trained well and im seeing more and more arriving with plus plate discipline which is something I look for in every prospect (Tirso Ornelas, jeisson Rosario, esteury Ruiz and others that show future elite PD)-lookibg forward to this new crop 

• Like 1

This is the international prospect to have shares of.  Only issue is a chronic shoulder pain.  Should be over next season.

Yusei Kikuchi

Edited by jwblue

I thought this may be an interesting thread to bump with a lot of signings completed on July 2nd.

Notables (I believe based on MLB Pipeline rankings):

1. Diego Cartaya, C, Venezuela -- Dodgers ($2,500,000)

2. Marco Luciano, OF, Dominican Republic -- Giants ($2,600,000)

3. Misael Urbina, OF, Venezuela -- Twins ($2,750,000)

4. Orelvis Martinez, SS, Dominican Republic -- Blue Jays ($3,500,000)

5. Richard Gallardo, RHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($1,000,000)

6. Gabriel Rodriguez, SS, Venezuela -- Indians ($2,100,000)

7. Noelvi Marte, SS, Dominican Republic -- Mariners ($1,550,000)

8. Starlyn Castillo, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Phillies ($1,600,000)

9. Osiel Rodriguez, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees

10. Kevin Alcantara, SS, Dominican Republic -- Yankees

11. Antonio Gomez, C, Venezuela -- Yankees ($600,000)

12. Junior Sanquintin, SS, Dominican Republic -- Indians ($1,250,000)

13. Francisco Alvarez, C, Venezuela -- Mets ($2,700,000)

14. Sandy Gaston, RHP, Cuba

15. Jose De La Cruz*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Tigers ($1,800,000)

16. Alvin Guzman, OF, Dominican Republic -- D-backs ($1,850,000)

17. Jose Lopez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Cubs ($1,500,000)

18. Eduarqui Fernandez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Brewers ($1,100,000)

19. Adinso Reyes, SS, Dominican Republic -- Tigers ($1,450,000)

20. Eduardo Garcia, SS, Venezuela -- Brewers

21. Jose Rodriguez, C, Venezuela -- Rangers ($2,000,000)

22. Alejandro Pie, SS, Dominican Republic -- Rays ($1,400,000)

23. Eduardo Lopez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Red Sox ($1,150,000)

24. Alexander Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Angels

25. Freddy Valdez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Mets ($1,450,000)

26. Branlyn Jaraba, SS, Colombia -- Brewers ($1,100,000)

27. Luis Matos, OF, Venezuela -- Giants ($725,000)

28. Joel Machado, LHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($850,000)

29. Denny Larrondo, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees ($550,000)

30. Jerming Rosario, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Dodgers ($600,000)

Edited by apap414
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sheesh...how many strong catching prospects do the Dodgers need?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Sheesh...how many strong catching prospects do the Dodgers need?

While definitely funny - it's actually an extremely important position to try and home grow as much talent as possible in. It's such a physically demanding and fundamentally difficult position to learn that a lot of prospects that intend to catch ultimately move on to other positions. It's also a great way to build up tradeable assets - plus Cartaya's only 16, so he may not even be close to MLB ready for another 6-7+ years (if ever). It did make me laugh though with Smith/Ruiz/Wong already in their system behind Grandal/Barnes.

• Like 3

What happened to Victor Victor? I remember him being the #1 rated IFA and already defected Cuba.

Also what ever came about in regards to 18 of the top 20 international prospects testing positive for banned substances? Im guessing it didnt effect their eligibility to sign or anything. But I just haven't heard anything about it again.

Man, Phillies starlyn Castillo hitting 98mph as a 15 year old. That's super impressive. And he doesn't have a violent delivery from the small video sample I saw.

4 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

What happened to Victor Victor? I remember him being the #1 rated IFA and already defected Cuba.

Also what ever came about in regards to 18 of the top 20 international prospects testing positive for banned substances? Im guessing it didnt effect their eligibility to sign or anything. But I just haven't heard anything about it again.

Man, Phillies starlyn Castillo hitting 98mph as a 15 year old. That's super impressive. And he doesn't have a violent delivery from the small video sample I saw.

Victor Victor Mesa hasn't officially been declared a free agent by MLB yet (that process always takes some time) so he's currently ineligible to sign.

The story about the 18 prospects (they were supposedly from the Dominican Republic top 20, not the top 20 overall) was proven to be a fabricated story and quickly debunked. Here was Keith Law's Tweet confirming the fabrication:

Agreed on Starlyn - he was on my radar going into the J2 period and as a Phillies fan I was very excited to see that "the Phillies are considered the favorites to sign him, wink wink, nudge nudge" ahead of time.

• Thanks 2

Toronto Orevelis Martinez looks like the real deal. bin watching video on this prospects swing and it looks flawless for a 16 year old. garlando or anyone who knows..when do the 2018 inter prospects start playing? they dont start the same year they sign like amateur draft prospects, do they?

They generally play in instructs and everything to start next year, and report to the DSL or similar leagues later in the year. Scouts get a look at them in instructs, they just don't keep stats. Mid year next year is when you'll see these guys have actual numbers associated with them.

The big guys from the 2017 class are gone in deeper leagues. Franco, K. Robinson, Mauricio, J. Rodriguez, Peiriea, Deveaux, and Pardinho are the guys probably getting the most pub so far. Those are the super high risk high reward names so far that have emerged. I'd put them in that order at this point.