FinsUp24

Cam Newton 2018 Outlook

How are we feelin’ about Cam this year? Looks like he is back to his old running ways and he should be 100% healthy again. Has some pretty solid weapons at his disposal. He didn’t have his favorite target the majority of last year. No more Shula. I’m admittedly a major Cam homer but I think he’s in for a huge year

I don't like the loss of Norwell for nothing. Also not a big fan of Norv Turner. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

How are we feelin’ about Cam this year? Looks like he is back to his old running ways and he should be 100% healthy again. Has some pretty solid weapons at his disposal. He didn’t have his favorite target the majority of last year. No more Shula. I’m admittedly a major Cam homer but I think he’s in for a huge year

Cam is always going to be Cam, positive or negative changes to the supporting cast notwithstanding.  He is going to have those big games where he mixes in a few rushing scores with a few passing ones.  Sprinked in though will be a fair share of stinkers.  To quote a phrase, he is who we think he is.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Posted (edited)

New Panthers OC Norv Turner believes he can help Cam Newton become more efficient.

Newton is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but it is not because of his accuracy. Cam has completely 60 percent or more of his passes in just two seasons, and he has not managed the feat since 2013. Despite that, his new coordinator has high expectations. "I see Cam as a guy that can be in the mid- to high-60s in the completion percentage," Turner said. "We're working hard in terms of scheming and getting the ball out quick. ... We want a good mix of dropback, play-action." High-60s sounds like a pipe dream, but it would not be surprising to see Newton become a more efficient passer in a better system with better weapons around him.

Source: ESPN
May 22 - 10:21 AM
  •  

I think we know who Cam is at this point in terms of his skills. He's not going to suddenly become a passer with pinpoint accuracy and he's going to rely on his legs for a healthy portion of his fantasy value. 

What does intrigue me, and what does sound feasible, is the idea that the offense could be designed to make better use of Cam's skills and do a better job of masking his limitations. It's not like the Panthers haven't invested a good deal of draft capital in explosive, elusive athletes. It makes all the sense in the world that a better scheme that focused on getting the ball out quick (and letting receivers rack up YAC) could do wonders for Cam's completion percentage and his passing stats in general. 

It's early, and it will depend on where he's being drafted come August, but at this very moment I feel like I'll be buying Cam for 2018. 

Edited by mjb03003

Unless Cam puts up a bunch more passing TD's, like he did in 2015, I don't see much changing. Is there actual data that supports Cam now being in a "better system" with "better weapons"? I don't really love the offensive weapons in Carolina. They don't have a dominant #1 WR. Maybe Moore surprises all of us and instantly becomes a dominant #1 as a rookie. Olsen is old and close to retiring.

Maybe Cam struggles to transition to a new passing scheme. If the coaching scheme change is driving Cam's ADP up I am not buying.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Unless Cam puts up a bunch more passing TD's, like he did in 2015, I don't see much changing. Is there actual data that supports Cam now being in a "better system" with "better weapons"? I don't really love the offensive weapons in Carolina. They don't have a dominant #1 WR. Maybe Moore surprises all of us and instantly becomes a dominant #1 as a rookie. Olsen is old and close to retiring.

Maybe Cam struggles to transition to a new passing scheme. If the coaching scheme change is driving Cam's ADP up I am not buying.

Not sure what kind of data you're looking for. The data will be tallied on the field in 2018. Of course we can't sit here now and say the system definitely WILL be better, or that the weapons ARE better. But both of those are feasible outcomes in my eyes and if his ADP *doesn't* rise too drastically I think Cam could have a really good year. I don't agree that passing TDs is the only way he can surpass last year's numbers. A focus on shorter passes and getting the ball out quickly could lead to sustaining more drives, finishing more drives, more passing yards, more rushing yards, more rushing TDs, and/or more passing TDs. Again, I'm  not saying it definitely will, but I'll be watching them in preseason and keeping an eye out for blurbs/news stories. 

I think Olsen, Funchess, McCaffrey, CJ Anderson, DJ Moore, and Curtis Samuel is a pretty fun set of weapons that could present a lot of mismatches for opposing defenses if used creatively. 

• Like 1

I love his weapons this year. Two backs with great receiving chops. He has two big targets in Olsen and Funchess. Samuel can really take the top off of a defense. And Moore looks very promising. 

Oh man as a panthers fan this is fun to read. People believe we didn’t upgrade from kealen clay and Russel Shepard for our wr2 and 3? People don’t think all pro center Ryan kalil coming back healthy will help the oline. But hey, atleast people acknowledge Olsen was a big loss for us last year, bc apparently all the other injuries on offense were on Cam

Like, go rewatch the saints playoff game and tell me wtf our practice squad group of wrs is doing. Clays head a** drops a wide open pass in the end zone. Funchess shoulder was fugged too. f--- I’m still so salty about that game. ******** injuries. You best believe Camvp is coming back this year 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Oh man as a panthers fan this is fun to read. People believe we didn’t upgrade from kealen clay and Russel Shepard for our wr2 and 3? People don’t think all pro center Ryan kalil coming back healthy will help the oline. But hey, atleast people acknowledge Olsen was a big loss for us last year, bc apparently all the other injuries on offense were on Cam

Norwell was a big loss. Khalil hasn't been good since Peyton Manning was playing.

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Norwell was a big loss. Khalil hasn't been good since Peyton Manning was playing.

He made the pro bowl in the 2016 season but missed it with an injury. When exactly was he not good? 

Cam is such a great player and people have such tunnel vision. One of the all time greats at the position. Probably will be a HOF player. Never seen someone throw the ball like him and run like him at QB. Tough, good in the clutch... just not sure what people want. The run first system and rivera not going for the throat hurts him more than anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2018 at 4:01 PM, mjb03003 said:

I think Olsen, Funchess, McCaffrey, CJ Anderson, DJ Moore, and Curtis Samuel is a pretty fun set of weapons that could present a lot of mismatches for opposing defenses if used creatively.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:58 PM, FinsUp24 said:

I love his weapons this year. Two backs with great receiving chops. He has two big targets in Olsen and Funchess. Samuel can really take the top off of a defense. And Moore looks very promising. 

Cam’s blessed year consisted of Cam, Olsen, and JStew, and Cam was on fire all year long. The season-long WR corps of Corey Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, Devin Funchess, and Ted Ginn was unexceptional (and KBenj watched from the sideline); Cam was exceptional. With that in mind, I'm not so sure his WR corps matters---it's Cam that's going to make or break his fantasy season and the Panthers playoffs hopes. My two cents.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, devaster said:

Is there actual data that supports Cam now being in a "better system" with "better weapons"? I don't really love the offensive weapons in Carolina. [...] If the coaching scheme change is driving Cam's ADP up I am not buying.

I'm with you regarding Cam's "upgrades." Essentially, Cam's weapons---compared to 2015---include Olsen and CMcC as opposed to Olsen + JStew. I suppose it's CJA + CMcC = JStew 2015. The thing is, Cam didn't need elite WRs to succeed in his Super Bowl driving year, he just needed a solid RB, an outstanding TE, and himself (including targeting whichever WR he wanted, and running at will). He was superman that year. Will it happen again? Will CMcC's usage help Cam to checkdown and dump it off instead of risking his health? Stay tuned. I like Cam this year because he's Cam, not because of his "upgrades," but I couldn't agree more with your implication: if his ADP rises, I'm staying away, and if I can get him at a value, I'm in.

Ps. Also, for my two cents, I see Olsen as having gas-in-the-tank, still: it's that Scandinavian bloodline, well preserved and still has several tricks up his sleeve.

IfzKgRb.gif

Cam needed his defense to lead the league in turnovers forced (I think?) and offensive starting field position to dominate in 2015. The only outlier that season were his passing TD's. His passing yards, rushing yards, and rushing TD's are not far from his career seasonal averages every year. He is what he is. But that is still an elite fantasy QB usually, however if the coaching change and "better" weapons is driving his ADP up it is not worth it at all.

• Like 1

Cam's "weapons" last year consisted of a dazed rookie satellite back, a washed big back, a decent Funchess but the rest of the WR core somewhere between mediocre and Gawd-awful.  And Ed Dickson.

McCaffrey is going to be a bit better and more confident, as he improved as the season went along.  CJ Anderson is a really good all around running back.  Olson is coming back, he may not have a ton left but he is still an upgrade.  And the WR group should be much improved, too with the draft pick and Samuel returning to health.

Cam should be a really nice post-hype sleeper with the fantasy community seduced by shiny new toys like Watson, Mahomes, Cousins in Minny, etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, joshua18 said:

No he didn't. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaliRy20.htm

That OL is a problem.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000760503/article/nfl-announces-2017-pro-bowl-rosters?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Doak;team%3Dpit;team%3Dten;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dacw;dvsn%3Dacn;dvsn%3Dacs;plyr%3Daqib_talib;plyr%3Dclifford_avril;plyr%3Dmatthew_ryan;event%3Dpro-bowl&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

so this site is wrong? 2016-2017 pro bowl says kalil was replaced by Eric Norwood 

Regardless, I agree with you that the Oline is a problem bc our LT is absolute s---. LG will end up being service able. The rest of ge line is pro bowlers/ all pros. Your he first person I’ve heard say Ryan kalil isn’t good lol

Edited by Panthers8912

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Cam needed his defense to lead the league in turnovers forced (I think?) and offensive starting field position to dominate in 2015. The only outlier that season were his passing TD's. His passing yards, rushing yards, and rushing TD's are not far from his career seasonal averages every year. He is what he is. But that is still an elite fantasy QB usually, however if the coaching change and "better" weapons is driving his ADP up it is not worth it at all.

He isn't a better pick than all the QBs around him? I would easily take him over Cousins, Brees, and JG. 7th QB off the board seems to be a good valuation, maybe not a deal but its what he is worth and not overvalued. 

Fantasy players should only draft Cam if they want a QB who can threaten double digit rushing TDs.  Otherwise, move along to old man Brees or a guy who has started 5 NFL games...

• Like 1

When I look at the top ten fantasy QB list for 2018,  Cam might return the most value out of that consensus group.  There's a lot to like here.  Upgrade in offensive coordinator from Shula to Norv.  McCaffery will be better.  Stewart was such a reliable goal line back.  I think Cam will see sort of slight uptick in opportunities inside the 5.  The addition of DJ Moore, the return of Curtis Samuel and the addition of Torrey Smith.  There's more to like than a few of the negatives like Norwell.   If I'm taking a top ten QB, Cam will be the one I'm targeting for sure.  There's so much parody at QB for fantasy this year and there's tremendous value after the top ten.  If you look at the consensus top ten, there's qbs with more major questions on how they'll return value.

Rodgers- Coming off injury and just lost his most reliable WR

Wilson- Coming off maybe his greatest fantasy season and it's because they had no running game.  They improved that and he lost Graham so I don't see how he'll replicate his 2017.

Brady- Over 40 and just lost Cooks and Amendola.  I just don't see how he'll be elite fantasy wise.

Watson- Coming off ACL and garbage o'line with Texans' defense expected to be much better minimizing shootouts

Wentz- Coming off ACL and will miss substantial preseason training relative to all the work he put in last offseason

Brees- Very good but not early 2010's elite.  Saints as a team overachieved last year and in for down year

Cousins- New team and doesn't have Gruden and Vikings don't have Shurmur who was huge reason why Case Keenum was really good last year

With all these negatives from the consensus top 10, I don't see most of these guys blowing the competition away and wouldn't be shocked if Cam is the #1 fantasy QB in 2018.  Also there's a ton of value after that who have potential to crack the top 10 like Stafford, Garoppolo, Winston, Luck, Ryan, Mahomes, Mariota, Carr  that I'd rather go for later. 

• Like 1

Norv Turner is not an upgrade. He has friends in the media who are blowing smoke at how great he is. He hasn't done anything of significance in a decade. 

He was so so humble and willing to put the team before his ego that he quit on Minnesota 2 seasons ago because he'd rather leave a team midseason than adjust his playcalling to suit the team''s personnel. 

When you start hearing hitpieces in the media about Cam if things go wrong, know that Norv is a very likely source. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Norv Turner is not an upgrade. He has friends in the media who are blowing smoke at how great he is. He hasn't done anything of significance in a decade. 

He was so so humble and willing to put the team before his ego that he quit on Minnesota 2 seasons ago because he'd rather leave a team midseason than adjust his playcalling to suit the team''s personnel. 

When you start hearing hitpieces in the media about Cam if things go wrong, know that Norv is a very likely source. 

and Mike Shula was so great?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

and Mike Shula was so great?

Shula got them to a SB and took an offense last season without a legit #1 WR or a good TE (Olsen was hurt) to an 11-win season. 

He's not great, but Norv certainly is not a big upgrade, if he's in fact any upgrade at all. 

20 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

When I look at the top ten fantasy QB list for 2018,  Cam might return the most value out of that consensus group.  There's a lot to like here.  Upgrade in offensive coordinator from Shula to Norv.  McCaffery will be better.  Stewart was such a reliable goal line back.  I think Cam will see sort of slight uptick in opportunities inside the 5.  The addition of DJ Moore, the return of Curtis Samuel and the addition of Torrey Smith.  There's more to like than a few of the negatives like Norwell.   If I'm taking a top ten QB, Cam will be the one I'm targeting for sure.  There's so much parody at QB for fantasy this year and there's tremendous value after the top ten.  If you look at the consensus top ten, there's qbs with more major questions on how they'll return value.

Rodgers- Coming off injury and just lost his most reliable WR RODGERS MAKES THE RECEIVERS, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. GRAHAM IS AN IMMENSE UPGRADE, HE'S GOT THREE ROOKIES (TWO OF WHOM ARE DARN GOOD), AND THE WILDCARD IS TY MONTGOMERY WHO HAS SOFT HANDS AND POWER.

Wilson- Coming off maybe his greatest fantasy season and it's because they had no running game.  They improved that and he lost Graham so I don't see how he'll replicate his 2017. WILSON IS A ONE-MAN TEAM WHO HUSTLES FOR HUNDREDS OF YARDS (VERTICALLY AND HORIZONTALLY), SCRAMBLING FOR HIS LIFE, AND THROUGH SOME DIVINE MADNESS FINDS A RECEIVER DOWNFIELD; HE SINGLEHANDEDLY MOVED THE OFFENSE (WITH NO HELP FROM A BACKFIELD)

Brady- Over 40 and just lost Cooks and Amendola.  I just don't see how he'll be elite fantasy wise. LOSING AMENDOLA IS LIKE LOSING A CLAM CHOWDER IN A BREAD BOWL: IT'S A LOSS THAT YOU'LL MISS, BUT IT'S EASY TO REPLACE. I LIKE JORDAN MATHEWS FOR A BOUNCE-BACK SEASON; BRADY ALSO HAS A HOST OF HANDY RBs, AND HE'S LOST NOTHING IN THROWING THE BALL AND HAS ZERO INJURIES.

Watson- Coming off ACL and garbage o'line with Texans' defense expected to be much better minimizing shootouts AGREED: HIS RIGHT KNEE WENT SOUTH, HIS LEFT KNEE GOT SCREWED UP IN COLLEGE, NOW THE SURGICALLY REPAIRED SOPHOMORE NEEDS TO PROVE NFL DURABILITY.

Wentz- Coming off ACL and will miss substantial preseason training relative to all the work he put in last offseason TROUBLESOME HEALTHWISE UNTIL WE HEAR GOOD NEWS (AND SEE A HEALTHY WENTZ)

Brees- Very good but not early 2010's elite.  Saints as a team overachieved last year and in for down year BREES IS FINE, BUT THE RUNNING GAME WORKED SO AWESOMELY LAST YEAR HIS PASSING TOOK THE BACKSEAT. DEFENSES ARE CURRENTLY STUDYING THE KAMARA/INGRAM EFFECT, AND IF THEY COME UP WITH AN ANSWER BREES WILL STEP IN TO SCREW THE DEFENSES OVER. HE HAS LOST NOTHING OFF HIS PASSING.

Cousins- New team and doesn't have Gruden and Vikings don't have Shurmur who was huge reason why Case Keenum was really good last year NO OPINION HERE; COUSINS IS GOOD ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING, COOK AND RUDOLPH AND DIGGS AND THEILEN ARE TALENTED; WOULDN'T BREAK THE BANK ACQUIRING COUSINS, BUT NO REASON TO EXPECT HE WON'T SUCCEED.

With all these negatives from the consensus top 10, I don't see most of these guys blowing the competition away and wouldn't be shocked if Cam is the #1 fantasy QB in 2018.  Also there's a ton of value after that who have potential to crack the top 10 like Stafford, Garoppolo, Winston, Luck, Ryan, Mahomes, Mariota, Carr  that I'd rather go for later. 

PLEASE SEE MY COMMENTS IN BLUE, ABOVE. I AGREE WITH YOU REGARDING WATSON, AND WENTZ, AND POSSIBLY COUSINS, BUT I FEEL YOU'RE WAAAAY OFF ON SOME OF THE MOST DEPENDABLE GUNS IN THE NFL.

18 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

PLEASE SEE MY COMMENTS IN BLUE, ABOVE. I AGREE WITH YOU REGARDING WATSON, AND WENTZ, AND POSSIBLY COUSINS, BUT I FEEL YOU'RE WAAAAY OFF ON SOME OF THE MOST DEPENDABLE GUNS IN THE NFL.

They're all reliable but this isn't me saying I'm going to take Cam as the first QB off the board.  However I'd rather take a guy like Cam in the 5th than Rodgers, Russ or Brady in the 3rd. 

• Like 1