WTP333

Max Muncy 2018 Outlook

Who???

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Who???

x A's farm hand if my memory serves me, now playing for the Dodgers, nothing special in my opinion.

Might have some value in a 20 team NL only league. In my opinion.

Edited by Topgun
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Topgun said:

x A's farm hand if my memory serves me, now playing for the Dodgers, nothing special in my opinion.

Might have some value in a 20 team NL only league. In my opinion.

Can't tell if you're purposely exaggerating or not, but I actually play in a 10 team NL Only, and if he's starting for the Dodgers most days (like he is now), he's startable, especially hitting in the top half of the lineup now. I tried to get him in my 16 team mixed, and he was swiped. 

I agree he's meant for deeper leagues and he's nothing special though.  He's not young but he's ranked in AAA 2017-2018

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Agree he’s for deep leagues.  Picked him up last night.  He’s top 10 in barrels/pa and barrels/batted ball event.  Top 50 in average exit velocity and % of balls hit 95+ mph.  All of his x stats show positive correlation.  

As as long as Roberts is putting him out there, so will I.  

You know this brock but others might not. Want to know who else is in that top 10?

Mookie

JD

Teoscar

Thames

Gallo

Belt 

Muncy

Sanchez

Zunino

JR Murphy (don’t touch)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I plugged him in for the week and he already rewarded me with a HR and a pair of walks. I play in a 7 team NL-only that counts OPS.

5 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Another HR, five game hit streak. Picked him up to see what he’s gonna do.

Picked him up as well earlier today.

It seems like you have to look for guys that you may not have heard of but are on good streaks more than in the past.  Muncy is one of those guys, but he has quietly had a pretty decent season, and is now playing regularly vs RHP.  He's been an RBI machine actually for the small number of ABs he's had as a whole so far this season, so he could end up being more than just a short term boost kind of a player.  In other words, a solid UTIL guy or something like that.

Everyone's drooling over Mac's donkey power but they need to  know more about Muncy.  Especially in OBP leagues.  #7 tonight in 92 AB.  For those keeping count, that's a HR every 13 ABs.  That's Gallo/Judge like.  1B/3B eligible they've been hitting him grounders at 2B too in warmups.  

Been playing him for a week or two already...he's staying right in my lineup.

Hit 2 HRs tonight - that gives him 9 on the year over 125 PAs and an .850+ OPS with a historically-for-him low .260 BABIP.  He appears to have a clear path to playing time, with Bellinger seemingly on the outs.  Probably not worth owning in shallow mixed leagues, but in any type of deeper league he should be owned.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Claw said:

Hit 2 HRs tonight - that gives him 9 on the year over 125 PAs and an .850+ OPS with a historically-for-him low .260 BABIP.  He appears to have a clear path to playing time, with Bellinger seemingly on the outs.  Probably not worth owning in shallow mixed leagues, but in any type of deeper league he should be owned.

I've developed a case of the Muncys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

His minor league peripherals say he might be for real.   It wouldn't surprise me one bit if his mashing continues but where does he play?

Why haven't we heard of this guy?

Edited by B&F

6 hours ago, Dr. Claw said:

His BABIP isn't really historically low for him. His career BABIP in the Majors is .244. Yes, his minor league BABIPs have been higher and it's possible he could get to that level, but in three stints in the Majors, he hasn't been able to. Maybe if he had a fulltime job and everyday ABs, he would...but he had BABIPs of .261 and .218 in 2015 and 2016 in Oakland. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

Dodgers find another scrub on the scrap heap that turns to gold?

Turner, Taylor, Muncy

Matt Kemp says, "Hi!"

16 hours ago, Dr. Claw said:

Bellinger is not on the outs.  He is manning CF for the good of the team.  Belly will be fine once he gets his stance and setup back in sync so he can actually hit strikes.

Muncy I am super high on for his aptitude and bat speed, not to mention defensive versatility (1B 3B OF). Soon he will be replacing thise scrubs playing 2B.  Perfect replacement for Donaldson given how lean the waivers are this time of the season.

1 hour ago, herschel said:

confirmation bias of what everyone has been saying in here (but nice read nonetheless).  plus looking like he might start to play 2b....

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dodgers-latest-discovery/

Nice article there regardless of whether a lot of it has already been said here.

Interesting if he gets 2B eligibility too.  I may not use him there much, but it never hurts to accidentally have another swiss army knife kind of player on your fantasy team.

About the only negative I can think of is that is average will likely never be above the .250's or at best .260, but given the power and RBI production he's giving us so far, one can't complain too much when he's likely just a guy rounding out our lineups.

6 hours ago, STLSU said:

Bellinger is not on the outs.  He is manning CF for the good of the team.  Belly will be fine once he gets his stance and setup back in sync so he can actually hit strikes.

Muncy I am super high on for his aptitude and bat speed, not to mention defensive versatility (1B 3B OF). Soon he will be replacing thise scrubs playing 2B.  Perfect replacement for Donaldson given how lean the waivers are this time of the season.

I was basing my opinion on the following blurb - however, I didnt mean as in "he's on his way out of the LAD picture long term," more so that he may be out of the discussion for "who's the most productive 1B on the team near term?"  Either way, Muncy at 2B is a win for both camps.  

When asked Sunday whether optioning the struggling Cody Bellinger to Triple-A Oklahoma City was under consideration, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said "we're not there yet."
"I don’t know," Roberts said. "We’re not there yet. ... Obviously we’d have to really think through it. We haven’t got to that point yet. But you can see it’s been tough sledding for him for the first two months of the season." Bellinger was benched on Sunday for the second time in three games, this time against a righty. He's sporting an ugly .125/.222/.325 over his last 23 games. It's hard to imagine the Dodgers sending the reigning National League Rookie of the Year down, but the fact that Roberts didn't outright dismiss the possibility is worth noting. Jun 3 - 2:10 PM

The one thing I fear for him is that he may not have a very long leash if he hits a cold streak.  He's on a one-year deal, so the Dodgers probably assume that anything they've received from him is unexpected upside.  However, with the dearth of viable alternatives right now, this risk is minimal.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Claw said:

I was basing my opinion on the following blurb - however, I didnt mean as in "he's on his way out of the LAD picture long term," more so that he may be out of the discussion for "who's the most productive 1B on the team near term?"  Either way, Muncy at 2B is a win for both camps.  

When asked Sunday whether optioning the struggling Cody Bellinger to Triple-A Oklahoma City was under consideration, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said "we're not there yet."
"I don’t know," Roberts said. "We’re not there yet. ... Obviously we’d have to really think through it. We haven’t got to that point yet. But you can see it’s been tough sledding for him for the first two months of the season." Bellinger was benched on Sunday for the second time in three games, this time against a righty. He's sporting an ugly .125/.222/.325 over his last 23 games. It's hard to imagine the Dodgers sending the reigning National League Rookie of the Year down, but the fact that Roberts didn't outright dismiss the possibility is worth noting. Jun 3 - 2:10 PM

The one thing I fear for him is that he may not have a very long leash if he hits a cold streak.  He's on a one-year deal, so the Dodgers probably assume that anything they've received from him is unexpected upside.  However, with the dearth of viable alternatives right now, this risk is minimal.

Thanks for that.  The baseball gods are quite blessful and savage all at once.  Once one has shelved humility and proclaimed mastery of the game, the other shoe drop kicks your behind.

I agree that he is all kinds of messed up mentally.  Before moving him back down, might be best to move him back to first if Muncy can take on the keystone.  Get him focused and relaxed.

7 hours ago, herschel said:

confirmation bias of what everyone has been saying in here (but nice read nonetheless).  plus looking like he might start to play 2b....

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dodgers-latest-discovery/

Interesting that they really might have another successful reclamation projection though. The eligibility could make him pretty handy.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

So what are expectations of Muncy ROS? He's never shown this kind of power, so I wonder how sustainable it is. He did hit 20 HR in 543 AAA ABs between 2016 and 2017, but that was in the PCL. He had 11 HR in 607 career AA ABs. I know players grow, get stronger, change mechanics...and they can show this type of growth. But at age 27? My skepticism is rearing its head. 

I can understand being skeptical, but his hard is currently at 46.1 % and his his FB% is at 46.1. Not only is he really knocking the crap out of the ball, he's putting the ball in the air a lot too. Looking at the BABIP, there is room for the average to grow too, unless I'm missing something, which is possible.