WTP333

Max Muncy 2018 Outlook

On 8/5/2018 at 7:21 PM, Jimmymckrack said:

It reminds me of Eric Thames of last year but worse.

Thames had one monster month ...then it went south quickly, while Muncy my opinion was decent for three months. 

Can’t think of a better case for home run derby hurting someone.  This wasn’t a regression to the mean.  It was a complete loss of hitting ability.

He was 4th in wOBA before all star break.  And it was almost 300 AB’s worth of a sample.  Now he can’t even hit the ball and or draw a walk to save his life.

• Like 1

Coming Soon to a waiver wire near you!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CAT said:

Coming Soon to a waiver wire near you!

Trying my damnedest to trade him but it’s gonna be tough, also don’t want to drop because his multi position eligibility is quite handy when he does play.

51 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Trying my damnedest to trade him but it’s gonna be tough, also don’t want to drop because his multi position eligibility is quite handy when he does play.

[Removed Cool Story] I think you're best bet unloading him is trading him to a loyal Dodger fan. Muncy just isn't playing enough. I don't care about the struggles as much as him not seeing the field.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

I don't know if others are just hoping this is a rough patch for him, but personally, the fun is definitely over for me. I'm not rostering a guy that plays 3-4 times a week. 

I don't care what the analysis says.  HR Derbies mess players up.

• Like 2

I was just talking to my co worker about that.....

Him and Aguilar should have not entered the Home Run Derby. It just messes up their mental, they were just breaking out and a breakout consist of being focused and zones in at all times.

Hopefully they slump out of it and start hitting this week. I think with Muncy's multi position eligibility it might be early to drop

12 minutes ago, B&F said:

45 minutes ago, B&F said:

Guess it depends on the player - Rhys Hoskins has been on fire since the HR derby. 

2 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Eligibility is nice (1B,2B,3B) but his numbers in his last 30 ain’t. 

210/316/760

11/4/11/0   32K 

is he he hurting your team more than helping? 

1 hour ago, B&F said:

LOL.  Stats.  Analysis.  How do they work?

How about this analysis....Max Muncy was a complete NOBODY.  He had a hot couple of months.  He's gone back to being Max Muncy, Nobody.  There have been a thousand nobodies in the history of baseball that have gotten hot for a few months and then returned back to being a nobody.  Muncy is #1001.

Edited by CAT
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, B&F said:

Harper has been a mess...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

Bregman has been on fire...

You can make an argument either way. With Muncy, I find it really hard to believe that he will just turn into pre- 2018 Muncy. He had like 250 AB's with 50 walks and 24 jacks. That is more than just a streak, and all his batted ball data backed it up. 

IF he was given the PT, It'd very likely we would get some positive regression to something in between pre 2018 and early 2018 Max Muncy ROS. Unfortunately, without a couple injuries in that Dodgers lineup, it's hard to imagine him getting enough PT for us to find out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAT said:

LOL.  Stats.  Analysis.  How do they work?

How about this analysis....Max Muncy was a complete NOBODY.  He had a hot couple of months.  He's gone back to being Max Muncy, Nobody.  There have been a thousand nobodies in the history of baseball that have gotten hot for a few months and then returned back to being a nobody.  Muncy is #1001.

Lol at calling that period “a couple of hot months”.  He was maybe the top hitter in the majors those months if you ignore steals 

1 hour ago, Bigfische said:

Just because it doesn’t hurt some or most guys doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt any.  

All it has to do is get in a guys head if he starts slumping after, even if it doesn’t mess with his swing.  

None of this is saying some noticeable  regression from Muncy wasn’t probable (though his batted ball stats supported his numbers).  But this hasn’t been regression.  He’s lost the ability to be a major league hitter.

Edited by The Waker
  • Like 1

[If you can't control your temper, your posts will be removed.  If it keeps happening, you will be warned and suspended.

Meanwhile, the "Home Run Derby Curse: Is it a Thing Or Not?" discussion is extremely played out at this point.  If you must have that discussion, do it here instead of derailing yet another thread, but this just might be one of those "agree to disagree" situations. ]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hurt Reynolds said:

I was just talking to my co worker about that.....

Him and Aguilar should have not entered the Home Run Derby. It just messes up their mental, they were just breaking out and a breakout consist of being focused and zones in at all times.

Hopefully they slump out of it and start hitting this week. I think with Muncy's multi position eligibility it might be early to drop

Aguilar has 3 HR in his last 6 games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 3Sheets1elbow said:

This is embarrassing.  Dylan Cozens thinks Muncy has too many holes in his swing right now.

What were the holes specifically mentioned?

Fwiw:

Muncy talked about how pitchers adjusted when pitching to him, going reverse on him with FB low, breaking balls high....

He is taking lots of strikes looking with that low FB.

He is awere of all this and now has to adjust himself, I would give him some time on bench before droping.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, The Waker said:

Lol at calling that period “a couple of hot months”.  He was maybe the top hitter in the majors those months if you ignore steals 

too many fantasy owners fell in love with Max when he had those 10 very good weeks. (May10th-July23rd) Max has reverted back to his Oakland days