Sign in to follow this  
TribeFoo

Willy Adames 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

45 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Why are they treating this guy so badly? Teams don't call up their #1 prospect to fill in while someone is on a 3 day baby leave. Typically teams would call up one of their lesser prospects to fill in like that. And who would have known a replacement level journeyman Joey Wendle  would be the one blocking a #1 prospect?

Players get paid a LOT more in the majors, even if it's just a few days. Plus they get an idea of how things work and can see they're close to being up for good. I'm not saying they should or should not have sent him back down, but these things are important and often overlooked when asking why they call kids up and don't play them much. 

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times expects the Rays to recall Willy Adames "very soon."

Adames was up briefly last month, going 2-for-12 with a home run in his short first stay in the majors. Daniel Robertson has played well at shortstop and Adeiny Hechavarria (hamstring) is close to returning, but it appears the Rays might be ready to give Adames a long-term look. That could mean trading Hechavarria and using Robertson as a super utility player. Adames is worth stashing in fantasy leagues where he's available.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/06/09/rays-rumblings-expect-willy-adames-to-return-soon/

* Expect shortstop Willy Adames to be the next of the top prospects called up, and very soon. That will be exciting, but also a bit sticky. Not only because Daniel Robertson has played well at short, but because veteran Adeiny Hechavarria is close to returning from his hamstring injury and won't have a job, which makes a trade seem likely and imminent.

Adames was promoted to the majors Monday to replaced the injured Daniel Robertson (hamstring).
Spin: 
Adames made a brief major-league debut in late May, going 2-for-12 with a homer over three games. He has a promising profile, with the potential to hit for both power and average from the shortstop position. The 22-year-old has hit a solid .286/.356/.424 in 54 games for Triple-A Durham so far this season. Whether or not Adames will be up for good this time is not yet clear. The Rays are notoriously slow with their prospects, but the young shortstop has now played nearly a season and a half at the Triple-A level and has little left to prove in the minors.

does Adams only see time at SS or could he also get time at another position like 2B?

4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

does Adams only see time at SS or could he also get time at another position like 2B?

Only SS wont be getting 2B elig hes their future at SS so will only play SS theyd send him down before moving him off of SS

13 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Only SS wont be getting 2B elig hes their future at SS so will only play SS theyd send him down before moving him off of SS

What makes you so sure if this? If there's any team in baseball willing to move players around between different positions, its the Rays.

I was curious on position because it was Robertson that went on the DL and he played multiple positions, and the Rays will have Hechavarria back at SS at some point. Hechavarria should be traded, but in the meantime I would hate to see Adames lose playing time when Hechavarria is ready.

this on Adames from dynastyguru before the season..

https://thedynastyguru.com/2018/02/07/2018-top-58-fantasy-shortstop-prospects-part-1/

In 2014, the Detroit Tigers traded Willy Adames to the Rays as part of the package for David Price. Now, Adames is on the verge of his major league debut. One of the youngest players in the International League, Adames survived a slow start to have a nice season. After a terrible April and May in Triple-A, Adames hit .300/.377/.455 with 8 home runs the rest of the year.

Remarkably consistent throughout his career, Adames performed solidly above-average at every level. Only a .268 career hitter, his hit tool plays up due to his patient approach (12.7% career walk rate). He pairs his polished approach with plenty of line drives and latent raw power. Observers see more power in his bat, but it has yet to actualize in games.

Meanwhile, Adames also is a consistently average defensive shortstop. Since 2014, each year his fielding percentage vacillated between .948 to .953. A mediocre athlete, Adames has poor range. Although he may provide average defense at shortstop, his plus arm and athleticism play far better at third base. On the 40-man roster and with only Adeiny Hechavarria in his way, Adames will make his debut early this year.

Peak Projection: .275/.365/.455, 20-25 home runs

13 minutes ago, cs3 said:

What makes you so sure if this? If there's any team in baseball willing to move players around between different positions, its the Rays.

Name any of those players that they move around that are/were as highly touted and valued as adames is

rays never have good players hence why they are moved around so much, adames is obv not in the same class as these career journeyman they sign on 1 year deals

they have been preparing him to be the SS of the future, why would you move around one of the best prospects theyve had since longo/price era when hes played nothing but SS by your own design as a team and adeiny hech or however you spell it is not moving Adames off of SS, like i said hed get sent down before they move him off SS as shown when they sent him down earlier this year because.......they want him at SS

Edited by kmoore1521

2 minutes ago, cs3 said:

1. Ben Zobrist

was never an elite prospect like adames, never had hype, was actually pretty slept on for many years

Edited by kmoore1521

oh and in 2008 Zobrist was already playing OF-2B-SS in the minors before he got called up for good

valid try but not a good comparison

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

was never an elite prospect like adames, never had hype, was actually pretty slept on for many years

You're hypothetical is pretty dumb then because the Rays haven't had any top 10 position player prospects lately other than Adames. Their best prospects have all been pitchers (Snell, Honeywell, Colome, Archer, etc etc or not very highly regarded - but even guys like Robertson have been moved around and hes been one of their better reccent position prospects).  So first you said " Name any of those players"  but clearly you're actually asking for an example that does not exist.

What DOES exist is a long history of the Rays moving players around extensively for whichever players are capable of playing multiple positions. Adames is clearly capable of playing at least 3B, SS, and 2B so I expect that trend to continue, especially if you cannot provide a quote or any data to back up your claim.

Edited by cs3

8 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You're hypothetical is pretty dumb then because the Rays haven't had any top 10 position player prospects lately. Their best prospects have all been pitchers (Snell, Honeywell, Colome, Archer, etc etc or not very highly regarded - but even guys like Robertson have been moved around and hes been one of their better reccent position prospects).  So first you said " Name any of those players"  but clearly you're actually asking for an example that does not exist.

What DOES exist is a long history of the Rays moving players around extensively for whichever players are capable of playing multiple positions. Adames is clearly capable of playing at least 3B, SS, and 2B so I expect that trend to continue, especially if you cannot provide a quote or any data to back up your claim.

Its not a hypothetical, adames hasnt played anywhere but SS in the minors, hes an elite prospect which never tend to be jerked around position wise ESPECIALLY if they have played 1 position their entire career, daniel robertson is a no name even mentioning him has no merit

simply saying the rays move guys around a lot isnt much of an argument for your claim which seems to be the only valid point you have, they dont have good players so they HAVE to move these guys around everyone they move around would barely crack the roster on most good teams, good players generally dont get moved to multiple positions unless they were brought up as such ala baez etc etc

you ask for data to back up my claim when you asked if adames would play 2B, what data makes you even think theyd play him there? call him up to play out of position at a spot he has never really played at as a pro? seems like nothing more than a gut feeling you saying they might play him at 2B citing daniel robertson as an example isnt the best backing either

Bottom line Adames has played SS his entire career, its widely known he is the future SS, hes a stud prospect, literally nothing points to him being played anywhere but SS except your statement about the rays and what they do with their lackluster talent, could they play him at 2B sure i cant see the future and crazier things have happened, but id EASILY bet against them doing that

Edited by kmoore1521

17 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You're hypothetical is pretty dumb then because the Rays haven't had any top 10 position player prospects lately other than Adames. Their best prospects have all been pitchers (Snell, Honeywell, Colome, Archer, etc etc or not very highly regarded - but even guys like Robertson have been moved around and hes been one of their better reccent position prospects).  So first you said " Name any of those players"  but clearly you're actually asking for an example that does not exist.

BJ Upton was s top prospect as a shortstop if memory sure me correctly . Delmon Young ? 

Edited by motown magic

17 minutes ago, motown magic said:

BJ Upton was s top prospect as a shortstop if memory sure me correctly . Delmon Young ? 

dang throwbacks haha

i think longo is the most recent elite prospect bat to come up, ah the good ole days, before him it was maybe crawford types as well but that was like our first couple years as a franchise haha so memory doesnt go back that far to the grim beginnings of shamefulness 

Willy Boomstick is back! Somewhere in Boston Chris Sale wets himself. 

Joking aside, I love this kid. He's a bolt of energy and his swing is awesome. I think he will surprise a lot of people especially in the power department. 

• Like 1

Willy Adames will start at shortstop and bat sixth Monday against the Blue Jays.

Adames got the call Monday with Daniel Robertson going on the disabled list due to a hamstring issue. The 22-year-old only had a brief stay with the Rays last month, but the opportunity could be there for him to run away with the job this time. Adeiny Hechavarria (hamstring) is close to returning, but he could be a trade candidate soon. Either way, Adams is intriguing in mixed fantasy leagues

52 minutes ago, motown magic said:

lately

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

could they play him at 2B sure i cant see the future and crazier things have happened

I'd put the odds of Adames seeing some time at 2B at 50/50. While I don't think they want to play him anywhere other than SS, it just seems too likely that they will need to showcase Hechavarria coming off the DL to prove he's healthy for trade value while not wanting to take AB's away from Adames. It just sort of depends on whether the Rays feel like Adames will be more negatively by riding the pine or shifting to the other side of the diamond for a week.  

Plus I think it's fair to say that the Rays have upped the craziness of their organizational philosophy this year...

7 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

I'd put the odds of Adames seeing some time at 2B at 50/50. While I don't think they want to play him anywhere other than SS, it just seems too likely that they will need to showcase Hechavarria coming off the DL to prove he's healthy for trade value while not wanting to take AB's away from Adames. It just sort of depends on whether the Rays feel like Adames will be more negatively by riding the pine or shifting to the other side of the diamond for a week.  

Plus I think it's fair to say that the Rays have upped the craziness of their organizational philosophy this year...

Yea dont get me started on this RP starting BS haha

In my opinion i dont think theyd just throw him at 2B after not even playing him a game there this year in AAA even though he is a great defender so he could easily handle it, BUT hes had 11 career games at 2B for reference in the minors and based off of what EVERY MLB team does with their elite prospects (do not want them feeling uncomfortable at an unfamiliar position) what SHOULD happen is he plays SS and Hech moves to 2B because lets be honest teams know what Hech is at SS they dont need to see him play defense they need to see him not be useless at the plate and be healthy

Edited by kmoore1521

4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

what EVERY MLB team does with their elite prospects

Well, not exactly without precedence. Machado, Turner, and Moncada were all called up to not play their natural position. Right now Gleyber Torres is at 2B. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Well, not exactly without precedence. Machado, Turner, and Moncada were all called up to not play their natural position. Right now Gleyber Torres is at 2B. 

If i remember correctly In the minors they all played other positions in preparation

Adames has not

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

If i remember correctly In the minors they all played other positions in preparation

Adames has not

Adames played 11 games at 2B last year. Torres played a total of 14 games at 2B in the minors. Machado played 4 games at 3B. Turner played 7 games at 2B. Moncada played 16 games at 3B. 

So any real difference is pretty much just splitting hairs. Occasionally teams bring up top prospects to play unfamiliar positions. I'm not disagreeing that it might not be in their best interest or that it is not very common, but it happens.

• Like 2