NYR Fan 116894

Kristian Robinson ARI OF

Longenhagen released the ARI list today over at FanGraphs.

Robinson came in at 2: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-23-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

This is a very physical teenager. I’ve watched Robinson play while Jake Lamb and Steven Souza have rehabbed next to him and he’s bigger than both of them. His build has been compared to Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, and Jorge Soler’s — and he’s faster than two of those guys when he reaches top speed. He’s a monster who has already made significant progress developing a more polished feel for baseball after barely playing last fall while the D-backs kept playoff reserves sharp during instructional league. He has big power right now and is going to grow into more as he fills out, though he probably won’t be a 7 runner underway into his mid-20s. Some people in baseball think he’s Arizona best prospect. He’s unquestionably their most exciting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Longenhagen released the ARI list today over at FanGraphs.

Robinson came in at 2: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-23-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/

I rostered him this offseason due to BA's assessment of him listing traits I look for in young flyers.  

Premium athleticism.

Good bloodlines- grand uncle was 4 time Olympian.

Plus raw power.

Plus runner.

Handles velocity.

Tracks breaking pitches.

• Like 1

A lot of movement in that bat though, while waiting for the pitch.  Personally don't like to see that violent torqueing back and forth before the swing.  Not sure if that's something they are working with him on or not.

Thought they were sending him to the DSL, but maybe he is going to the ASL instead?  Anyone know?

Swing and miss has been present but manageable at 25.3% with a solid 8.8% BB rate. He is still raw but I am very encouraged by his performance in the arizona league as have many scouts who have seen him. 

4 HR and 7 SB in 40 games there shows how much potential this beast has. For him to have as much speed as he has at his size is insane. Built like a big NFL wideout. 

Surprised not hearing more..listed as high as 24, 35, 60 on sites I've seen. 109 on Fangraphs. Might be grabing him soon myself.

Certainly helium watch here.  He's been getting hyped up quite a bit even dating back to this year, but this year as stated above he's been way higher than most would believe.  I think this is the guy you want to be on.  If you still have an opportunity to buy-you need to buy....now.

• Like 2

first thing I thought when I saw the video was, "looks like a Mookie swing and hand speed." I like.

• Thanks 1

He was assigned yesterday to Class A short season where he'll be playing for the Hillsboro Hops.  

• Thanks 1

Seems like George Valera is getting more love here but Kristian Robinson is living up to the hype so far as a power/speed threat.  The K rate is high, but what do you expect, and he still hits for average and walks plenty.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Seems like George Valera is getting more love here but Kristian Robinson is living up to the hype so far as a power/speed threat.  The K rate is high, but what do you expect, and he still hits for average and walks plenty.

The walk rate is what I'm looking at especially with these 18 year olds. If they can establish a knowledge of the strike zone and when to take certain pitches at that age, look out.

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, CounterPunch said:

The walk rate is what I'm looking at especially with these 18 year olds. If they can establish a knowledge of the strike zone and when to take certain pitches at that age, look out.

Another HR last night. Already 5 in less than 100ABs to go along with 5 steals.  Robinson's only glitch, as mentioned above, is that his K rate has not decreased.  That said, he's moved up a level and it hasn't spike either but he's still hovering around 30% (which is what it was in his limited sample when he was called up to the Pioneer League last year) and the walk rate is down a bit.  It's more nit-picking an 18 year old in SS, but that is seemingly the only thing that will prevent him from being a true fantasy gem.  He still could be, even with the K rate, but it would likely hurt the average.  

Edited by BigPapi44

On 7/10/2019 at 8:46 AM, BigPapi44 said:

Another HR last night. Already 5 in less than 100ABs to go along with 5 steals.  Robinson's only glitch, as mentioned above, is that his K rate has not decreased.  That said, he's moved up a level and it hasn't spike either but he's still hovering around 30% (which is what it was in his limited sample when he was called up to the Pioneer League last year) and the walk rate is down a bit.  It's more nit-picking an 18 year old in SS, but that is seemingly the only thing that will prevent him from being a true fantasy gem.  He still could be, even with the K rate, but it would likely hurt the average.  

It's not nit picking at all to be concerned about the K rate.   

2-3 HR last night.  K rate down to 25% over the last 10 games.  Hopefully can reduce it even further, but if he can even manage to hold it steady then there will be some progress in his development, imo.

I know it's low-A, but this kid is putting up redonkulous numbers. Projected out to 155 games, he's on pace for .321-96-33-125-48. Lol. I don't care what level you're playing on, that's just stupid. 

So what are the expectations as far as his movement through the system? Hopefully get the midseason call to AA next year...midseason call to AAA in 2021...then have a chance to win an OF spot in 2022 at age 21? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I know it's low-A, but this kid is putting up redonkulous numbers. Projected out to 155 games, he's on pace for .321-96-33-125-48. Lol. I don't care what level you're playing on, that's just stupid. 

So what are the expectations as far as his movement through the system? Hopefully get the midseason call to AA next year...midseason call to AAA in 2021...then have a chance to win an OF spot in 2022 at age 21? 

I think even more importantly, there is starting to be better plate discipline.  As the season has gone on, his K rate has been declining which is a sign, for me at least, that he understands that his approach needs refining.  It also may mean there is better pitch recognition.  

@Flyman75 - I think your expectations of his movement are pretty accurate.  If he absolutely rakes next year then perhaps it may speed things up a little bit or likewise if he stumbles it could delay things a bit, but otherwise this seems like a pretty good timeline, imo.

• Like 1

Hitting the ground running in Kane County.  2-3 with a 3B and HR so far tonight.