WTP333

Frankie Montas 2018 Outlook

Pretty nice start today. Think he's in the rotation for now (with the injuries to Anderson, Triggs, etc)

Anything to see with this guy? (especially deep, deep mixed leagues)

Love him.  Electric stuff.  I thought they were grooming him for a closer role though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, B&F said:

Love him.  Electric stuff.  I thought they were grooming him for a closer role though.

i guess blake treinen happened else he probably would have been closer

He certainly held his velo well in his 1st start!

Has the classic hard stuff pen profile, but ya never know if he could master something a bit more offspeed?

FB averaged 97.6 MPH with 2 whiffs

HARD Sinker 97.1 MPH and he threw it 47 times with a 68% strike rate, 4 whiffs and nice vertical break

CH was 89.7 MPH but threw it 2x

SL at 87.8 MPH, and threw one 95.5 MPH! tossed a total of 16, with 13 going for strikes and 2 whiffs--tons of movement on this pitch...

• Like 1

Nice outing tonight, albeit just 2 k's. Anything to see here?

I think he has excellent upside as a reliever. He could be a 3 or 4 as a starter, but I think Oakland will extract more value out of him from the pen. 

Ride until the wheels fall off. 

Posted (edited)

Will he remain in the rotation? Am i getting a starter or reliever if i add him?

Edited by Trifecta

9 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Will he remain in the rotation? Am i getting a starter or reliever if i add him?

Yes

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Was able to watch 2 innings tonight ...he made perez do a silly dance ....nice moves will he stick at SP?? Insight 

Edited by bugkilla

I think I read somewhere that he’s going to be on a strict innings limit.....FYI 

1 minute ago, Shortnphat said:

I think I read somewhere that he’s going to be on a strict innings limit.....FYI 

Do we have any idea what the limit is around? I'm fine with playing guys that have limits if I can at least have some gauge of what I'm going to get from them.

Started against the Royals in back to back starts - granted they arent a scary lineup - but 2nd time and going less than 80 pitches into the 8th is something worth watchlisting at least

Failin Beeks has way more pages than this guy who’s getting it done.  What gives?  A’s actually develop pitching prospects Red Sox usually have to sign/trade for there’s.  

5 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

Do we have any idea what the limit is around? I'm fine with playing guys that have limits if I can at least have some gauge of what I'm going to get from them.

Per Baseball Reference, it looks like he only threw 61 innings last year; I guess they were using him as a reliever a lot. So, maybe they bump him up to 80 or so? And it looks like he has already thrown 55 innings this year. So, he may only have like 25 innings (4 or 5 games, about a month) left this season. This is all just guessing, I couldn’t find anything official.

He should really have SP Eligiblity in ESPN by now.  Two more starts i guess

After 4-5 games then what he goes to minors? To the pen ?? This is what boggles my mind he is still throwing in some capacity so whats the difference...man do I long for the days of old 250-300 innings a year with 10-15 complete games..from some of the old time studs ....

7 hours ago, St3v3k4hn said:

Per Baseball Reference, it looks like he only threw 61 innings last year; I guess they were using him as a reliever a lot. So, maybe they bump him up to 80 or so? And it looks like he has already thrown 55 innings this year. So, he may only have like 25 innings (4 or 5 games, about a month) left this season. This is all just guessing, I couldn’t find anything official.

Wow, if that's the case and the limit is that low, that's a huge bummer.

Posted (edited)

3 solid starts and did what he should have done.  Arizona is struggling and KC is horrid.  I wish I picked him up but a bigger sample size is needed to see if he is legit dominant.

Edited by FJZ12

His repertoire is basically all very firm and limited--as I have prev stated it's classic pen profile.

Here is his last outing:

FB- threw 5 at 97.5MPH

SINKER threw 73! at 96.6 MPH with 53 for strikes and 2 whiffs

CH threw 2 at 90 MPH

SL was other main offering at 15 times, 10 for strikes and 4 whiffs--and 87 MPH

He is basically filling up the zone and holding his velo quite well, releasing all of his stuff at the same exact point. I just can not see this working long-term when good lineups start guessing right, hope I am wrong as I do have him in deeper spots but I would gladly deal him if something good came across.

• Like 1