High&Inside

Shane Bieber 2018 Outlook

#Indians RHP prospect Shane Bieber will make his MLB debut this Thursday vs the Minnesota Twins. Bieber this season has made a meteoric rise between AA & AAA now off to Cleveland. - 65.1(IP) 43H 10R 8ER 3BB 61SO 1.10 ERA

Probably a 1 start unless he replaces Plutko. Currently not avail in ESPN leagues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if it is just a 1 start thing, I'll take the chance against the Twins.  Overall, they are one of the worst hitting teams in the league this season.

With Plutko being shaky at best today (and even being effectively wild in the start before), I can see Bieber taking his spot if he dazzles on Thursday.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Not the sexiest prospect but those ratios are ridiculous.

If you were to tell me he had 15 BBs this year, I’d say not bad...but no, that’s 15 walks in his career, across 262 innings...wow.

Of course that means he’ll have 3 of them in his debut.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

He’s not in ESPN leagues.. when do they update?

Could almost guarantee you he won't be made available until after his start. And will need to clear waivers. If it's a one start it'll be tough to justify the grab if that's the case.

Be careful.  Mike Soroka had impeccable command as well.  Guys like this who don’t have sexy stuff but get by on command often have tough times adjusting to MLB strike zones.  They’ll nibble and get frustrated and then end up getting bombed as they work there way back in the zone.  But track record is tough to ignore.  Might as well see what he can do. 

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, exaulz said:

If you were to tell me he had 15 BBs this year, I’d say not bad...but no, that’s 15 walks in his career, across 262 innings...wow.

Of course that means he’ll have 3 of them in his debut.

I kind of thought the myself just a little while ago, thinking he's not going to be one of these young pitchers that you're going to have to worry about him walking many very often, but I could excuse his debut and chalk it up to nerves.  That might be the only three he walks all season if he sticks after Thursday though. :)

33 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Not the sexiest prospect but those ratios are ridiculous.

Maybe another Daniel Mengden type with the chance of good ratios, but not a ton of K's.  Not a bad comparison, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to have another throwback style pitcher that can do good without striking a bunch of people out.  Obviously this would be a little premature given he hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors yet, but maybe a potential Greg Maddux given how good the control is and not a guy that will get 200 K's (taking into account that Maddux got 200 K's only because he pitched more innings than anyone ever will again)?

4 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

could salazar put a wrinkle in our plans....

He hasn’t even begun throwing again.  At this point if he doesn’t undergo season ending surgery it will be a minor miracle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Not in any immediate sense.  

5 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Not if Bieber does good, supplants Plutko, and then continues to do good.

I could see Salazar returning to the bullpen, especially since it's such shambles right now.  That is when he returns of course.  The only way he would get a shot in the rotation is if neither rookie seized the 5th spot in the rotation by that time.

16 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Could almost guarantee you he won't be made available until after his start. And will need to clear waivers. If it's a one start it'll be tough to justify the grab if that's the case.

I called ESPN.. just to be sure.. and they said not till after first game will he be added. I’m pretty sure he’ll be the 5th starter from here on out if he performs welll

33 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Who's got Bieber Fever!?

With those stats, I'm a belieber...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

I called ESPN.. just to be sure.. and they said not till after first game will he be added. I’m pretty sure he’ll be the 5th starter from here on out if he performs welll

Who calls ESPN on Memorial Day? :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mthdmn said:

Who calls ESPN on Memorial Day? :lol:

If it means driving to ESPN headquarters to get Shane in my lineup.. so be it

• Like 3

I'm in his stats insane but no prospect head seems to be excited about him...

Francona did not have a chance to see Bieber pitch in person during Spring Training, but the manager has heard Chris Antonetti, the Indians president of baseball operations, and members of the player development staff rave about the right-hander.

"I think Chris was afraid to bring him over in Spring Training, because he knew we were going to want to latch on to him," Francona quipped. "By all accounts he is in the mold of [Corey] Kluber -- by routines and work ethic and poise. There's just so many things to like. He's not the finished product. He throws a ton of strikes -- there's so many good things -- but he's still developing, which is OK."

"He's going to go back [to Triple-A] and we'll tell him that, if they haven't already," Francona said. "We're excited. It'll be fun to get to know him a little bit. Their first is always fun."

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-shane-bieber-to-be-called-up/c-278743698