CooL

Jordan Reed 2018 Outlook

According to ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim, Jordan Reed (toe) participated in agility drills at Wednesday's OTA session.

Per Keim, Reed looked "fine" while doing the side-field drills. He's not participating in team work after missing most of last season with injuries and then needing surgery on his toes after the year. Reed is incredibly difficult to trust but remains one of the premier Tier 2 fantasy options at a weak position.

Anybody going to take the plunge again this year?  This brittle dude always looks fine... until he steps on the field.

Seems like there are so many other hit or miss tight ends that would be a better pick than him.  Choosing Reed means you have to carry another backup TE, which I hate to do.  I think I'd rather have a Trey Burton, George Kittle, Jack Doyle, or even OJ Howard.

Posted (edited)

Reed's availability is always measured in quarters, not games.  When he makes it through a game, however, he can win you the week.

You're absolutely correct, Reed can only be rostered with a back up TE.  Even then, you'll go nuts trying to figure out who to start during all those weeks when Reed is a "gametime decision."  That frustration will be on top of the frustration you'll experience when he departs early from games he manages to start.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Unlike previous years it seems like he's priced outside the top 10 or on the bubble which peaks my interest..we know Smith loves his TEs and Reed is phenomenal in the intermediate game. If he's there in the 8th round I'd 100% pull the trig but I reckon he'll trend up. 

• Like 2

I immediately recoiled at the thought of him.  Then, thinking a bit on the receiving options on the the roster, QB, and lack of running game, I could see myself gambling on him.

I don't see how you CANNOT pull the trigger on him if you can snag him late middle and on in your draft.

The upside and ceiling he brings is too enticing.  I've seen this before when folks shy away giving another  owner an opportunity to rob the draft vault if it pays off.

There comes a point in every man's draft when risk and reward must be addressed.  Jordan Reed is the very definition of being aggressive to win you the title this year.   

Yes you must carry a back-up TE, just in case but you can get Vernon Davis for nothing to back him up. 

Then you have Mr. Conservative Check-down Smith at the controls?  It's a no-brainier.  You draft Reed at a premium price and ride him as long as you can.    

• Like 2

Yeah I think if you're buying Jordan Reed, you HAVE to have a back up TE, and Vernon Davis for essentially free makes a lot of sense.  Alex Smith and Vernon also have a connection from the SF days.  Buying Reed in the 8th and then Vernon Davis with your last pick isn't a bad way to lock in some decent TE production.  As mentioned, this position is super thin this year. 

• Like 1

I tried the Reed/Davis thing a couple years ago, and i didnt care for it.   I had both guys, and Ladarius Green come playoff time, and opted for Green at that point.  Reed played, and put up a dud both playoff weeks IIRC.   I can't trust him not to just crush my week at any given moment.     I'm a "never again" guy, i think.  

I will share that I do plan to target Eifert and Kroft as a pair to make up a TE2 combo in my 14 teamer.  And yes, i find that extremely ironic.  So maybe I have no clue what I'm doing?  Only argument I'll make for one pair vs the other is that Eifert's fairly in or out- either he's playing, and producing, or he's inactive.  Reed is a mystery week to week- at least the times i've owned him

• Like 1

The only flaw in the plan is VD and Reed have the same bye-week.  

However another guy I like getting late for peanuts is Charles Clay.  Someone has to catch passes in Buffalo besides McCoy/Kelvin Benjamin, and Zay Jones is already banged up dealing with knee surgery presently and recovering from shoulder surgery he had in January.     

2 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I tried the Reed/Davis thing a couple years ago, and i didnt care for it.   I had both guys, and Ladarius Green come playoff time, and opted for Green at that point.  Reed played, and put up a dud both playoff weeks IIRC.   I can't trust him not to just crush my week at any given moment.     I'm a "never again" guy, i think.  

I will share that I do plan to target Eifert and Kroft as a pair to make up a TE2 combo in my 14 teamer.  And yes, i find that extremely ironic.  So maybe I have no clue what I'm doing?  Only argument I'll make for one pair vs the other is that Eifert's fairly in or out- either he's playing, and producing, or he's inactive.  Reed is a mystery week to week- at least the times i've owned him

That was a couple of years ago.  Now we have Mr. Captain Check-down TE Targeting Fool Smith in town. 

This is a whole different scenario.  You have to keep personal prior season biases in context when evaluating a new season.    

Just now, theSPANKER said:

However another guy I like getting late for peanuts is Charles Clay.  Someone has to catch passes in Buffalo besides McCoy/Kelvin Benjamin, and Zay Jones is already banged up dealing with knee surgery presently and recovering from shoulder surgery he had in January.     

Clay always seemed to struggle to connect with Tyrod-  sometimes, esp last year, they really had big games, he'd be open a lot, etc, and others he'd be an afterthought   But this year who knows how he'll fit with whatever QB.   They SHOULD absolutely try to make him a focal point, for obvious reasons.   You can really only say that Kelvin, Clay, and McCoy are NFL caliber players to target heavily- and there will be missed games from some of that group I'm sure.   We'll see how it goes

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

That was a couple of years ago.  Now we have Mr. Captain Check-down TE Targeting Fool Smith in town. 

This is a whole different scenario.  You have to keep personal prior season biases in context when evaluating a new season.    

I dont disagree.  I'll probably talk myself out of Eifert too by August.    The Skins offense is one i've not looked at enough.   Their target share could go any number of directions, but I think IF he's healthy Reed has to be heavy there........so......who knows, maybe this was the moment i reconsider

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

I dont disagree.  I'll probably talk myself out of Eifert too by August.    The Skins offense is one i've not looked at enough.   Their target share could go any number of directions, but I think IF he's healthy Reed has to be heavy there........so......who knows, maybe this was the moment i reconsider

Well I'm not saying you're wrong going with either strategy, just not to dismiss the Reed one so easily without giving it full thought as to how it could pay off for you.  Reed is a absolute beast when he's playing.  He's easily in the top 3 TE tier when he's healthy.  The question is, are you prepared to stomach his injuries, game-time decisions if/when they happen? 

I play in ppr so that could be as to why I lean towards Reed more than perhaps you do.  

Always have to mention the format we play in when evaluating players, teams, etc....  

Ah, I feel myself slowly getting talked into gambling again.  I typically am a "never again" guy, but I can see the appeal.

As has been said, he could win you weeks, or lose you weeks if he gets injured after the first play adjusting his jock strap.  Nothing worse than an early game injury and you staring at a 0 for the rest of Sunday.

I'm the type of masochist who would consider pairing Reed and Eifert really late in lieu of handcuffing one of them with their backup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Washington trade Reed quick... to the Chargers.

Vernon can hold down the fort until you draft a TE next year...

Reed is a TE streamer.  After he gets injured and sits a few games... I’ll give him a look on the waiver wire.

I’d draft my kicker before considering Reed.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Washington trade Reed quick... to the Chargers.

Vernon can hold down the fort until you draft a TE next year...

Reed is a TE streamer.  After he gets injured and sits a few games... I’ll give him a look on the waiver wire.

I’d draft my kicker before considering Reed.

Um what?  :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

Um what?  :huh:

Reed is walking injured.  It’s not worth drafting.

Do you stream kickers?  You’d be streaming Reed.  He’s a waste of a draft pick.

Reeds stats dropped off a cliff in 2017 even when he played (AVE 7.8).  His injuries have caught up with him, he’s no longer the guy he used to be.

Vernon Davis 2017 (AVE 15.1)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Reed is walking injured.  It’s not worth drafting.

Do you stream kickers?  You’d be streaming Reed.  He’s a waste of a draft pick.

Reeds stats dropped off a cliff in 2017 even when he played (AVE 7.8).  His injuries have caught up with him, he’s no longer the guy he used to be.

Vernon Davis 2017 (AVE 15.1)

Good luck with that. Reed was a stud in the last full game he played...he's not washed up.

Just draft him as your TE2 and you have league winning upside at the position.

7 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

IIt's a no-brainier.  You draft Reed at a premium price and ride him as long as you can.    

Or—crazy thought—you bypass the macrofracture TE and go straight to drafting VDavis in the last round as he looked exceptional last season when he was on the field. Just sayin’.

6 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

The only flaw in the plan is VD and Reed have the same bye-week.  

Seems like drafting Eifert/VDavis or Reed/Kroft will net you a starting TE until Halloween, and then a starting TE on another team until Xmas.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Edited by joshua18

9 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Or—crazy thought—you bypass the macrofracture TE and go straight to drafting VDavis in the last round as he looked exceptional last season when he was on the field. Just sayin’.

You mean like on Thanksgiving against the Giants horrible LBs? 

We must have different definitions of "exceptional".

Old from CBS

Reed missed most of training camp and the preseason while rehabbing a sprained toe last year, though it was a combination of shoulder, rib and hamstring injuries that ultimately cost him 10 regular-season games. He was said to be considering surgery on his lingering toe issue in December when the hamstring injury landed him on injured reserve.

On the bright side, he didn’t have a concussion...

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

We must have different definitions of "exceptional".

You’re just realizing this now?

Just now, cohenstantinople said:

You’re just realizing this now?

Yeah. I don't call a TE who gets a donut in prime time against the worst LBs in the league "exceptional". I save that word for players who...actually deserve it.