• Announcements

    • Patrick Bateman

      Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

      Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, JFS179 said:

 

9-1-2 is supposed to be Familia facing the heart of the order?  PH Alvarez, Gentry, Mancini? Really?

 

If Fanilia pitches a clean inning, the 9th would’ve faced Jones, Machado, Schoop. Which one’s more difficult?

 

Hand pitched the 8th against Albies, Swanson, Freeman - two of whom are the best hitters Atlanta has. 

 

To throw in my two cents, I think I agree mostly with @duke of queens, just maybe not the way he's delivering the message.  

 

It does seem to me looking at last night's usage, as well as the usage over the past few outings, that Calloway is using Familia against the heart of the opposition's lineup.  To be fair, it wasn't Alvarez-Gentry-Mancini, it was pitcher's slot who ended up being announced as Alvarez (their best bench bat, 8 HR in 102 AB), and Gentry was a pinch runner for Alvarez - so it was actually Alvarez-Mancini-Jones, with Machado and Schoop looming after that.

 

Another factor, which I'm not sure if it crossed Calloway's mind at all, is that aside from the pitcher's slot (which you don't know for sure who will end up hitting), the Orioles have 5 power hitting righties in a row.  Familia has pretty strong career splits in favor of RHB, while Gsellman exhibits reverse splits and is more effective against LHB than righties.  

 

Couple that with the fact that Familia hadn't pitched in 4 days, and they have the off-day the next day, I have to agree with duke's thought that Familia was planned to go 6 outs if all went well.  

 

Past usage also seems to show that anytime Familia is not pitching the 9th, it's because he's coming in to pitch to the heart of the order.  May 30th vs ATL he pitched the 8th to Inciarte-Albies-Freeman.  Not to mention he hasn't done anything to lose the job, and Gsellman hasn't done anything to win it.  Familia's ERA, WHIP, and K-rate are all superior to Gsellman's.   

 

It's not a super clear situation, but to me it doesn't make a lot of logical sense that Gsellman would all of a sudden usurp Familia's position, unless Familia slept with Calloway's wife or something.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I doubt the Mets are moving away from Familia as the closer before the trade deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

To throw in my two cents, I think I agree mostly with @duke of queens, just maybe not the way he's delivering the message.  

 

It does seem to me looking at last night's usage, as well as the usage over the past few outings, that Calloway is using Familia against the heart of the opposition's lineup.  To be fair, it wasn't Alvarez-Gentry-Mancini, it was pitcher's slot who ended up being announced as Alvarez (their best bench bat, 8 HR in 102 AB), and Gentry was a pinch runner for Alvarez - so it was actually Alvarez-Mancini-Jones, with Machado and Schoop looming after that.

 

Another factor, which I'm not sure if it crossed Calloway's mind at all, is that aside from the pitcher's slot (which you don't know for sure who will end up hitting), the Orioles have 5 power hitting righties in a row.  Familia has pretty strong career splits in favor of RHB, while Gsellman exhibits reverse splits and is more effective against LHB than righties.  

 

Couple that with the fact that Familia hadn't pitched in 4 days, and they have the off-day the next day, I have to agree with duke's thought that Familia was planned to go 6 outs if all went well.  

 

Past usage also seems to show that anytime Familia is not pitching the 9th, it's because he's coming in to pitch to the heart of the order.  May 30th vs ATL he pitched the 8th to Inciarte-Albies-Freeman.  Not to mention he hasn't done anything to lose the job, and Gsellman hasn't done anything to win it.  Familia's ERA, WHIP, and K-rate are all superior to Gsellman's.   

 

It's not a super clear situation, but to me it doesn't make a lot of logical sense that Gsellman would all of a sudden usurp Familia's position, unless Familia slept with Calloway's wife or something.  

 

The only other thing throwing me off here is that Seth Lugo was left in for a save opportunity in the first game of a double header on the 28th (which he promptly blew).  Calloway then used Familia for 6 outs in the nightcap.  Why save your closer for the 2nd game when you've got a chance to win the first?  Perhaps his throwing 6 outs in the second game was a reaction to the first, but still.

 

Perhaps all this is just strange usage by Calloway, and my "changing of the guard" statement was admittedly too strong, but I do think Gsellman should be owned right now as Calloway seems willing to flip flop Familia and Gsellman (as we've seen lately), and Gsellman has tallied a couple of saves in the past couple of weeks.

 

Calloway could also be grooming Gsellman to take over for Familia post trade deadline.  I certainly have not completed my trade deadline research as to who should be traded and who shouldn't, but Familia is in the final year of his deal and is a UFA next year.  The Mets can certainly extend a QO to him if they keep him, but the risk there is landing a guy for basically double what he's being paid this year (~$15MM) when  Gsellman might be ready to step into the role for ~$650K.  If I'm the Mets, I'm trading Familia once they decide they're out of the race.  I would imagine he and Herrera are at the top of the wish list for bullpen needy teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hector Rendon picks up the save in Houston?

 

I'm curious about this, because closer by committee doesn't happen unless your team has a bad bullpen, or a struggling closer.

 

But if Rendon gets the job and does well, why wouldn't devinski just be the fireman they want him to be?

 

I added immediately.

 

Can't seem to drop Jordan Hicks though, he hooked, lined, and sinkered me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Hector Rendon picks up the save in Houston?

 

I'm curious about this, because closer by committee doesn't happen unless your team has a bad bullpen, or a struggling closer.

 

But if Rendon gets the job and does well, why wouldn't devinski just be the fireman they want him to be?

 

I added immediately.

 

Can't seem to drop Jordan Hicks though, he hooked, lined, and sinkered me.

 

I added Rendon but don't have much in the way of expectations going forward.  He's pitched very well this year and think he could be a better than average closer but seriously doubt he'll just be the main guy now.  I also think Astros would view him much in the way the Cubs viewed him a few years ago when they went and got Chapman.   Maybe he gets a few more opportunities and nails them down to make things interesting.   I think that's the best to hope for at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I still think the Astros  trade for Britton on or before the TDL

If he shows what he was prior to his injuries . Giles melted down in the playoffs last year . They aren't quite as good as they ( yet ) and can't afford to let games  get away and hope the offense bails them out . When Britton  is right he's as good as anybody .

Edited by motown magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

According to Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports, Zach Britton (Achilles) is likely to be activated on June 15.

 

Britton made another rehab appearance on Thursday, hurling a scoreless inning for Triple-A Norfolk. He's yet to pitch on back-to-back days but that will likely happen this weekend. Assuming that goes as planned, Britton should be ready for the start of Baltimore's three-game set against the Marlins a week from Friday. It's taken the left-hander nearly six months to recover from Achilles surgery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely agree that Houston should pursue bullpen help, but I'm not so sure it should necessarily be Britton.  The guy hasn't been healthy in 2 years now.  He was supposed to come back last year and take over the gig, and he got hurt again.  If I'm Houston I'm kicking tires on Herrera and Familia before Britton, regardless of Britton's former glory.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I absolutely agree that Houston should pursue bullpen help, but I'm not so sure it should necessarily be Britton.  The guy hasn't been healthy in 2 years now.  He was supposed to come back last year and take over the gig, and he got hurt again.  If I'm Houston I'm kicking tires on Herrera and Familia before Britton, regardless of Britton's former glory.  

So I know that this is common thought, and it seems a matter of not if but when they bring in another arm, but why?

Houston’s bullpen is currently ranked 4th in ERA. They currently rank 17th (tied) in blown saves. 

That’s not AWUL, but to me that says there’s been some bad luck and/or bad managing. This bullpen is really pretty good. McHugh, Rondon, & Devo all have an ERA under 2.  Peacock & Sipp are under 3. As much as many love the new “pitch your best pitcher anywhere” philosophy, I wonder if this ‘pen would just benefit from some defined roles. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

So I know that this is common thought, and it seems a matter of not if but when they bring in another arm, but why?

Houston’s bullpen is currently ranked 4th in ERA. They currently rank 17th (tied) in blown saves. 

That’s not AWUL, but to me that says there’s been some bad luck and/or bad managing. This bullpen is really pretty good. McHugh, Rondon, & Devo all have an ERA under 2.  Peacock & Sipp are under 3. As much as many love the new “pitch your best pitcher anywhere” philosophy, I wonder if this ‘pen would just benefit from some defined roles. 

 

I think Astros fans (which I've loosely followed the team for about a decade now) are nervous about Giles and would feel better with a lock down guy in the back of the bullpen.  All that said, there's talent in the current pen, and there's not currently a Chapman or Andrew Miller type of guy available on the market for Houston to go get.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

 

I think Astros fans (which I've loosely followed the team for about a decade now) are nervous about Giles and would feel better with a lock down guy in the back of the bullpen.  All that said, there's talent in the current pen, and there's not currently a Chapman or Andrew Miller type of guy available on the market for Houston to go get.

Yeah, I get that. But unlike almost every other team, they’re not pigeon-holed with him being only viable closer. Hell on this team, he doesn’t need to be in the set up equation. Peacock 7th, McHugh/Rondon 8th, Devenski your lock down closer. 

Seems really silly to go trade for yet another arm. There’s a ton of talent here.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously don't think Houston is the team who is looking for bullpen the most. Their bullpen is still pretty good. Boston another contender could use a bullpen upgrade more, even Anaheim if they want to compete. When all said and done Houston still has a top 5-10 bullpen in the league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I think I may wait one until subway series to pick him up. He's low owned, and the team right now is the worst at blowing leads in save situations these past two weeks so I can't see people running to pick him up with other options on the table.

Is anyone else trying to get him now with FOMO attitude or agree with me?

I'm with you.  I'm not convinced Gsellman is even next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

I seriously don't think Houston is the team who is looking for bullpen the most. Their bullpen is still pretty good. Boston another contender could use a bullpen upgrade more, even Anaheim if they want to compete. When all said and done Houston still has a top 5-10 bullpen in the league.

I hear what you're saying in that Houston's bullpen isnt bad but when you have WS aspirations top 5-10 isn't good enough. Especially with how the game is played today. Bullpen depth is very important. I'd be really surprised if they don't add to their bullpen before the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JFS179 said:

 

I think Astros fans (which I've loosely followed the team for about a decade now) are nervous about Giles and would feel better with a lock down guy in the back of the bullpen.  All that said, there's talent in the current pen, and there's not currently a Chapman or Andrew Miller type of guy available on the market for Houston to go get.

 

I think the Astros front office and coaching staff are nervous about Giles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Houston should go after Octavio Dotel

 

Man that CWS vs BOS game in 05’ still feels like yesterday... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally picked up Brach this morning.

 

Man, between that, Vazquez, Greene and Kela, I feel like I've had more epic RP meltdowns than any year I can remember.

 

These aren't just your 1 run blown saves.  I'm talking 4 earned without recording an out type stuff.

 

When these guys are bad...woah.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Houston should go after Octavio Dotel

 

What, Brad Lidge is busy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazyfingers711 said:

 

Man that CWS vs BOS game in 05’ still feels like yesterday... 

 

El Duque!  Bags jammed no outs and allowed no runs vs Boston, that was epic!  Sorry, carry on about how Rondon is the new closer in Houston LOLOLOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's not about bullpen ERA with the Astros. It's about which one of those guys you can trust to go into Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park in October and get big outs?

 

That's what the FO is going to ask themselves and if you ask Astros fans that question right now I highly doubt you'll get a confident answer out of them. That's why they need bullpen help, and it's readily apparent to anyone who's been watching them closely this season.

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, overkill94 said:

 

What, Brad Lidge is busy?

 

I heard Billy Wagner is ready for a comeback.

Edited by Gryfter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, absknicks said:

It's not about bullpen ERA with the Astros. It's about which one of those guys you can trust to go into Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park in October and get big outs?

 

That's what the FO is going to ask themselves and if you ask Astros fans that question right now I highly doubt you'll get a confident answer out of them. That's why they need bullpen help, and it's readily apparent to anyone who's been watching them closely this season.

 

Yes correct here. And while Giles' numbers are still impressive overall he just cannot be trusted in anything resembling an important game or series.  

Edited by knuckleheads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

 

Yes correct here. And while Giles' numbers are still impressive overall he just cannot be trusted in anything resembling an important game or series.  

His numbers aren’t even impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.