• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

I get the logic of using your best reliever against the opponent's most dangerous hitters and high pressure situations, but if crap goes sideways in the 7th, those same guys are coming up in the 9th.  

Rondon is the best pitcher, bring him in!

Parker is the best pitcher, don't bring him in!

11 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I get the logic of using your best reliever against the opponent's most dangerous hitters and high pressure situations, but if crap goes sideways in the 7th, those same guys are coming up in the 9th.  

40CB50DB-0C71-4CFF-90DE-F32906BF3B6F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Olivier Drake just blew the game,  so not on Parker

I would think like any athlete relievers are creatures of habit.  Need their routine.  I get how the "fireman" role makes sense.  Bring in your best reliever in high leverage situation.  I just think the trade off is having most of your bully on edge from the 5th inning on every night.  That has to be more mentally fatiguing then having a defined order.  That's got to take a toll.

• Like 3

I'm glad the Angels lost. Scioscia is an idiot. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, trojans888 said:

I would think like any athlete relievers are creatures of habit.  Need their routine.  I get how the "fireman" role makes sense.  Bring in your best reliever in high leverage situation.  I just think the trade off is having most of your bully on edge from the 5th inning on every night.  That has to be more mentally fatiguing then having a defined order.  That's got to take a toll.

In the past, this is why it hasn’t worked very well.  Some guys just like to have roles. 

Addison Reed has been waiver fodder bad.  Remember when he was the top handcuff in the spring p

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

I just noticed Colome has been traded to Seattle. 

...3 weeks ago

Strickland set up to fail there 

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Strickland set up to fail there 

On the plus side, it's not a blown save, or an run against him, or even a loss. so, no harm, no foul?

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

On the plus side, it's not a blown save, or an run against him, or even a loss. so, no harm, no foul?

But does mgt think that Melancon would've have shut the rally down? Thats my worry, Strickland has been found gold and I don't want any reasons for a switch. We need a solid 3 K performance in his next save situation

Of course CIN has to score 4 runs top 9. Iglesias in up 7-0. Will he ever get another save? Blah

18 minutes ago, Redphan said:

But does mgt think that Melancon would've have shut the rally down? Thats my worry, Strickland has been found gold and I don't want any reasons for a switch. We need a solid 3 K performance in his next save situation

Perhaps..... although Melancon chalked up a blown save today by giving up a run on 2 hits in a 1 run game......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, urban2014 said:

One solo shot to Healy and people are dropping? Ok

Not people - a person.  Other people (hopefully) aren’t overreacting like that.

8 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Obviously the idea is that they don't.

And if he can't get them out in the 7th, he can't get them out in the 9th either.

• Like 1

Perhaps both pitchers will share the role? Rondon is seemingly more trusted at the moment with close margins. Even if Giles clings to the job for now, the Astros have shown an extreme willingness to push him aside at the smallest hint of trouble. One more detail to note - the Houston Chronicle said Rondon was unavailable yesterday. The why of it – either a minor injury or simple slow recovery – is unknown.

rotoworld

11 hours ago, trojans888 said:

I just don't get how "different" it is to a reliever if he's trotting in from the bullpen in the 7th inning, or the 9th.  You're still doing the same warm up, same routine, pitching on the same mound, throwing the same pitches, you're just doing it slightly earlier in the game.  

If relievers are that thick skulled then I think the next MLB trend should be to put the whole bullpen in a sensory deprivation tank, and when they're called into the game shut off all the scoreboards.  They just come out and pitch to the next batter until they're told not to.  

Also wanted to add that the flip side to this whole "why can't RP just have roles like the good old days?" argument is a guy like Vasquez.  He's clearly screwed up and needs a break, but he's "the closer", so why not throw your statistically worst reliever out there in the most crucial part of the game time after time until he finally breaks?  It's basically a lose-lose situation, because these apparently emotionally fragile pitchers aren't going to take well to "losing" a job that they've been told is theirs, but you're also hurting the team by continuing to trot them out to get lit up.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, trojans888 said:

Indeed.

Sometimes the human element of the game conflicts with the approach prescribed by the analytics.

Shocking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Of course CIN has to score 4 runs top 9. Iglesias in up 7-0. Will he ever get another save? Blah

I'm wondering the same thing.  He'd be one of the best closers in baseball if he ever got opportunities.  Still a good closer obviously, but he hasn't gotten a save in 2 weeks now.

The upcoming schedule offers hope though, with the Pirates and the Tigers up next.

• Like 1

Fwiw, I believe it was fangraphs who showed batters have a slightly different approach in the ninth than they do earlier innings. That could play a larger factor than the 'mental toughness' some talk about when it comes to success in the inning.

• Like 4

http://closermonkey.com/test/2018/06/14/bruce-rondon-is-relevant-again-and-watch-out-for-jose-castillo/

June 14, 2018

Chicago White Sox — Nate Jones is headed to the disabled list with a mild forearm strain that Rick Renteria says is not code for an elbow problem. 24-year-old Jace Fry will ascend to the setup role, with perpetual would-be closer Bruce Rondon also in the mix for high-leverage work. In Detroit, Rondon struggled with his weight, his effort levels, and a general propensity for drama, but he could be remaking himself, and reaping the rewards of his considerable talent, in Chicago.

Updated hierarchy: Soria | Fry | Rondon.

Atlanta Braves — Arodys Vizcaino has been the only guy sniffing conventional save chances for Atlanta, so we’re going to drop his asterisk again. Behind him, Dan Winkler has been phenomenal, allowing an earned run in only 2 of his 29 appearances and striking out 12.5 guys per nine innings. Add Shane Carle and lefty A.J. Minter, and the Braves have had a surprisingly effective bullpen.

Updated hierarchy: Vizcaino | Winkler | Minter.

Baltimore Orioles — Brad Brach appeared in the eighth on Wednesday night down five runs, but it was as an injury replacement for Richard Bleier, who hurt his shoulder. Don’t read too much into it, especially considering Zach Britton’s three-walk outing on Tuesday.

Hierarchy remains: Brach | Britton | O’Day.

San Diego Padres — Keep an eye on Jose Castillo, who struck out all four batters he faced last night — he’s a big 22-year-old lefty with a nasty slider, who sped through AA and AAA this season.

Hierarchy remains: Hand | Yates | Stammen.

first I have heard of Jose Castillo in San Diego.

here are his minor league numbers...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=181804

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1