• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

9 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

As @murraygd13 says, last 30 days for a RP is still a very small sample size.  You're talking about 12 IP in this case.  5 ER over 30 days.  That's like 1 ER per week extra on your team.  Obviously that's not ideal and I understand the frustration, but at the same time it's such a small sample size that you can't really draw any conclusions from it.  

Over the same time frame Wade Davis has a 1.92 WHIP, Vazquez has a 2.40 WHIP, Iglaseas has a 1.57 WHIP, etc.  And then you have guys like Soria with a 0.55 WHIP in the last 30 days, or Kela with 0.64 WHIP after seeming to have an infinite WHIP earlier in the season.  

At least Kela has yet to blow a save.  Vazquez has also been mired in talks of replacement on these boards as well.  

Astros GM was on Sirius this morning and said (paraphrasing)...  "Last year, we asked AJ to win the World Series without a closer.  I'm not saying that I'm going to ask him to do that again..."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Astros GM was on Sirius this morning and said (paraphrasing)...  "Last year, we asked AJ to win the World Series without a closer.  I'm not saying that I'm going to ask him to do that again..."

I was listening to this....he ALSO said that he envisions Rondon, Girls and Devenski all getting save chances going forward...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I was listening to this....he ALSO said that he envisions Rondon, Girls and Devenski all getting save chances going forward...

So which is it 

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So which is it 

I interpreted it as he’s going to get someone but for the time being it will be a committee

and

girls girls girls 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Who could the Astros even trade for Hand, Britton or Familia? Hand probably would be the only one that would close for the Astros Britton hasnt been able to stay healthy and Familia has been hit or miss. Besides Hand theres not really an elite closer out there to trade for.

12 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Who could the Astros even trade for Hand, Britton or Familia? Hand probably would be the only one that would close for the Astros Britton hasnt been able to stay healthy and Familia has been hit or miss. Besides Hand theres not really an elite closer out there to trade for.

Iglesias.  Britton. And If things don’t improve in Minnesota....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

And If things don’t improve in Minnesota....

Oh, god. Please no.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

I imagine Hand would cost a lot more than those others.  Guy has several years left of reasonable control. SD would probably have to be blown away.

• Like 1

Britton a FA had pitched well since the first return outing . Since Herrera was traded Monday I think we see more movement sooner than later . Teams will want to get the jump on the others . 

18 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I imagine Hand would cost a lot more than those others.  Guy has several years left of reasonable control. SD would probably have to be blown away.

Yeah, I’m not sure Hand is going anywhere lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Oh, god. Please no.

he has given up 3 earned runs in the last 7 weeks....remember last year the tear he went on?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah, I’m not sure Hand is going anywhere lol

Yeah I mean it sounds like a lot but if you're SD would  you move him for anything less? 

Also as a Hand owner, he's not allowed to go anywhere where he wouldn't close.  There aren't many of em but Boston is certainly 1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah I mean it sounds like a lot but if you're SD would  you move him for anything less? 

Also as a Hand owner, he's not allowed to go anywhere where he wouldn't close.  There aren't many of em but Boston is certainly 1.

If I was SD and I realized we weren’t winning any time soon and I was trading away a guy who pitches 1 inning at a time? Yeah, I’d deal him for less. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Herrerra was traded for a bag of balls to a team that already had a good closer. No idea why philly, Houston, etc etc etc the list goes on didn’t get in on the action 

Edited by cyberer

11 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Herrerra was traded for a bag of balls to a team that already had a good closer. No idea why philly, Houston, etc etc etc the list goes on didn’t get in on the action 

Houston may believe they've found their guy in Rondon. They may at least be patient enough to find out if he is. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

If I was SD and I realized we weren’t winning any time soon and I was trading away a guy who pitches 1 inning at a time? Yeah, I’d deal him for less. 

They do think they're good enough to win in the next few years though based on the Hosmer contract. They've got Tatis, Gore, and Urias all likely making an appearance in the next few years.  They're not going anywhere this year but they're not exactly in full rebuild mode either.

This is also a guy who is one of the best relievers in the league at age 28 with 3 more very reasonable years on his contract.  Devers may be a bit much but if they move him they're going to at least aim for a top level prospect ala the Craig Kimbrel trade and Margot.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He's 28, one of the best relievers in the game, and he's locked up for 3 more seasons after this on what is a very team friendly deal.  The Padres also essentially bought 2 of his arbitration years (this year and next) at above-arbitration value so they could lock him up for his first 2 UFA years at $7 and $10 million per.  I have to agree that it would take a lot to trade Hand if I were in their position.

He has immense value just based on contract, age, and term.  You also have to think SD isn't paying extra for his arbitration year(s) just to give him away for peanuts to someone else.  And right or wrong, Padres clearly have a window lined up where they think they will contend, with Myers, Hosmer, and Hand all 27-28 years old and locked up for the next few years.  This rebuild has been going on for a while now, and I think Hand is viewed as part of the core to take them to the next level more than a trading chip to get another prospect.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

He's 28, one of the best relievers in the game, and he's locked up for 3 more seasons after this on what is a very team friendly deal.  The Padres also essentially bought 2 of his arbitration years (this year and next) at above-arbitration value so they could lock him up for his first 2 UFA years at $7 and $10 million per.  I have to agree that it would take a lot to trade Hand if I were in their position.

He has immense value just based on contract, age, and term.  You also have to think SD isn't paying extra for his arbitration year(s) just to give him away for peanuts to someone else.  And right or wrong, Padres clearly have a window lined up where they think they will contend, with Myers, Hosmer, and Hand all 27-28 years old and locked up for the next few years.  This rebuild has been going on for a while now, and I think Hand is viewed as part of the core to take them to the next level more than a trading chip to get another prospect.

Save for a few HOFers, bullpen arms can be elite for a couple years and then completely fall off. I’d bet good money as great as he’s been, that Hand is not nearly as good in 2 years. It just happens. 

Also, considering the true value of a 1-inning arm (as Hand’s 3.6 career WAR shows), these guys just aren’t worth that much in real baseball. 

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread. I don’t believe finding guys who can get 3 outs should be particularly valuable and laugh at teams who overpay for these guys each year. Neither of us will likely convince the other.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

56 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

SOX would be stupid to give up an everyday young talent like devers for hand, they have no need for him

When your LH options out of the pen are Robby Scott and Brian Johnson, there's a need 

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that trade interest is "building" for Blue Jays reliever Ryan Tepera.

Morosi notes that Tepera is under team control through 2021, so the Blue Jays don't have a sense of urgency to move him. Still, it makes sense to at least listen. Tepera, 30, owns an impressive 2.75 ERA and 38/12 K/BB ratio over 36 innings this season. He recently took over as the Jays' closer with Roberto Osuna away from the club following his arrest for allegedly assaulting a woman.

Unless you're getting a proven elite guy like a Kimbrel, Chapman, Andrew Miller, etc. I wouldn't pay much for a RP.  Hand seems to be one of those guys, and he's locked up long term.  Teams are going to have to pay to get him.  That being said, I'm surprised more teams weren't in on Herrera. Maybe they were and didn't want to pay more than the Nats did, but by most accounts the return wasn't all that impressive.  The Redsox pen blows outside of Kimbrel, and the Phillies and Angels desperately need a guy at the end.  Perhaps KC loved the Nats package more than the pundits seem to.

Who takes over in Baltimore if Britton & Brach get traded?  O'Day, Givens?