• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

What was the deal with Wilson getting the save last night though?  That's the one part that threw me off a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

What was the deal with Wilson getting the save last night though?  That's the one part that threw me off a little bit.

no one named Wilson earned a save last night. 

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

no one named Wilson earned a save last night. 

He got the opportunity, which is kind of impottant since we're speculating on next man up

Just now, Baur10 said:

He got the opportunity, which is kind of impottant since we're speculating on next man up

And blew the save.... another important part on speculation.  Also look at the usage....

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And blew the save.... another important part on speculation.  Also look at the usage...

That's the whole reason I asked.  Before that outing all I knew of was Strop and Cishek.  Admittedly i haven't been paying close attention to the Cubs pen though which is why I'm asking if there was certain circumstances leading to Wilson getting the first opp, or is he potentially the guy?  

Edited by Baur10

On 6/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, WahooManiac said:

Going even a little deeper into the spec realm... Joe Jim in Detroit would probably be first choice if a trade/closer replacement situation comes up.  And Gsellman, with his SP/RP eligibility, has gotten a few splash saves in Met land recently.  If Familia goes down or gets traded he'd be my grab. 

Why not Swarzak?

i think health permitting Familia gets traded next.

16 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

It doesn't mean much at all since it was in extra innings.  Cishek pitched the top of the 9th in a tie game...a spot usually reserved for the closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just took a look and the Cubs situation seems pretty murky to say the least.

Strop has gotten the 8th most often recently. Cishek got the 9th in one of yesterday's games. But in the other game Cishek came on in the 6th and gave up a run on 2 hits in 0.2 innings before getting the hook for a lefty. Duensing could also be in the mix and has gotten late inning work. But as a lefty, I'm guessing he'll continue to be used as needed vs. lefties. And then there's Wilson, who actually got the opportunity (and blew it) in extra innings yesterday. Wilson was closing for the Tigers before coming over too.

Anyway, at first, I was leaning Cishek because of his 100+ career saves vs. Strop's ten. But after some thought, Cishek's extreme sidearm delivery gives him pretty extreme lefty/righty splits. So it kinda makes sense for him to be used in combo with Duensing and/or Wilson to put out fires while having Strop close.

Like I said, murky. I guess I'd vote Strop if push came to shove and I could only add one of them because of the reasoning above.

Maybe Maddon will just come out and name a guy. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Why not Swarzak?

Familia is definitely gone. Gsellman is probably going to be the new closer. Though I have held onto Swarzak where I can as well, well because the Mets are the Mets and would probably give it to him just because. But  I think it ends up being Gsellman because he's been pretty good this season and they could reward him with the opp first. 

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Why not Swarzak?

He might be.  At the time of my post Gsellman had been getting splash opps and doing well.  By no means is it a prediction I'm dying on a hill for.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Tepera saves the day again.  He seems to be fitting in nicely as the closer. 

I guess.... I mean he gave up 2 hits, let all the inherited runners score, and all of this vs the bottom of the Atlanta lineup..... He got the save but not exactly a dominant outing.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's much competition for him.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Arano in for the save. No Seranthony.

He's not available.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Now Adam Morgan in ... seems pretty obvious to most of us that Seranthony is the best arm in the pen, but Ramos is probably a close second.  If Kapler wants Dominguez for the fireman's role, why not just make Ramos the closer and leave things be?

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Ugh, even with Neris out of the picture this is probably going to be a murky situation.

Seranthony never seems to be available when a save opportunity arises. I'm moving on whenever the next reasonable alternative pops up.

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

Now Adam Morgan in ... seems pretty obvious to most of us that Seranthony is the best arm in the pen, but Ramos is probably a close second.  If Kapler wants Dominguez for the fireman's role, why not just make Ramos the closer and leave things be?

Because Gabe gets off on trolling the F out of us. He probably reads this thread every night and laughs himself to sleep.

• Like 1

Greg Holland pitched a clean inning today with 2Ks. That's back-to-back days with clean innings. Broadcasters also mentioned he's looked different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

Greg Holland pitched a clean inning today with 2Ks. That's back-to-back days with clean innings. Broadcasters also mentioned he's looked different.

At this point he'd have to leapfrog not only Norris but Hicks who looks like he's figured it out in a big way. 

43 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Because he doesn’t care about your fantasy team.