smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Sure looks like a changing of the guard from Familia to Gsellman. Familia pitched against 9-1-2 in the order, so this wasn’t a case of facing the heart of the opposing lineup. Plus it’s the bottom of the 8th in a home game while Gsellman got the bottom of the 9th at home. This kinda mirrors the last time they were both deployed as well. 

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

Sure looks like a changing of the guard from Familia to Gsellman. Familia pitched against 9-1-2 in the order, so this wasn’t a case of facing the heart of the opposing lineup. Plus it’s the bottom of the 8th in a home game while Gsellman got the bottom of the 9th at home. This kinda mirrors the last time they were both deployed as well. 

This couldnt be further from the truth. So I guess Hand isnt the closer either by this logic.

5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

This couldnt be further from the truth. So I guess Hand isnt the closer either by this logic.

9-1-2 is supposed to be Familia facing the heart of the order?  PH Alvarez, Gentry, Mancini? Really?

If Fanilia pitches a clean inning, the 9th would’ve faced Jones, Machado, Schoop. Which one’s more difficult?

Hand pitched the 8th against Albies, Swanson, Freeman - two of whom are the best hitters Atlanta has. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Traded for Hand yesterday.

Today he pitches the 8th inning.

Hilarious.

The commentary is calling it their “bullpen day” so possibly just due to this new strategy and a lot of guys pitching out of their usual innings. It’s worked well for them, held the Braves to 1 thus far. 

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hilarious.

They brought him in to face the 1-3 hitters.  They let him get more than 3 out saves a lot too.  Plus they have a day off tomorrow so why not go 2 IP.

Edited by desert86

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hilarious.

Uh he's getting two inning save. He had few days off before this, a day off tomorrow, and is pitching filthy.

5 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Uh he's getting two inning save. He had few days off before this, a day off tomorrow, and is pitching filthy.

K, thanks.

21 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

9-1-2 is supposed to be Familia facing the heart of the order?  PH Alvarez, Gentry, Mancini? Really?

If Fanilia pitches a clean inning, the 9th would’ve faced Jones, Machado, Schoop. Which one’s more difficult?

Hand pitched the 8th against Albies, Swanson, Freeman - two of whom are the best hitters Atlanta has. 

If he had a clean inning he was going 2 with day off tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

If he had a clean inning he was going 2 with day off tomorrow. 

Maybe, though the game was tied at the time and Gsellman was used for the 9th. The most recent save also went to Gsellman on the 30th. 

At the very least, I think Gsellman needs to be owned by anyone in need of saves. The usage pattern here lately is enough for me to wonder if Calloway at least views this as a committee now. 

Yeah I thought, given Yates still pitched before Hand, that it was fairly clear he was being given the chance at the 2-out save.  I believe the situation was the same Sunday, he just worked so hard in the 8th that they decided not to bring him out for the 9th.

Familia hasn’t really done anything to lose the job.  Gsellman should be a SP though.  Add now ask question later

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Maybe, though the game was tied at the time and Gsellman was used for the 9th. The most recent save also went to Gsellman on the 30th. 

At the very least, I think Gsellman needs to be owned by anyone in need of saves. The usage pattern here lately is enough for me to wonder if Calloway at least views this as a committee now. 

Gsellman was used when they were losing. Last save was same as Hand situation vs Braves.

I agree Gsellman shoulda been owned for awhile in 12+.

Box blown save.

2-run PH homer for Hanson!

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Box blows it

Hirano or Bradley next in line?

Hirano pitched the 7th and Bradley pitched the 8th - so based on usage I would assume Bradley.  Plus Hirano looked a little shaky last night, and while he was fine today, Bradley looked dominant out there today.  But Box has only blown 2 saves this season - is he in immediate danger?

He’s hurling 85 MPH fastballs out there, that’s just not gonna cut it for a full season... I expect more blowups honestly, and I’m an owner

Edited by Olliemets
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Box and Strickland look like garbage. 

I think that every time I hit the "submit lineup" button.

Strickland got out of it and it looked at first like he was

trying to hand back Melancon's job on a silver platter.

Edited by kaesr
changed my mind
  • Sad 1

Strick gets out of it, but very shaky.

5 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

He’s hurling 85 MPH fastballs out there, that’s just not gonna cut it for a full season... I expect more blowups honestly, and I’m an owner

Yeah he’s not going to last the season his stuff sucks.  I own him too documented it back in April.  He didn’t pitch forever as Dbacks went in an awful slump.  But he’s definitely a guy owners will want to shop quickly IMO.

Does anyone know what was up with Boxberger today? His velocity was significantly down. Even yesterday he was throwing Fastballs 91+ like normal. But today literally in the 85 range with peaking at 87.

Injury?